Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Confessions of a DF player.  (Read 13146 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions of a DF player.
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2011, 01:16:39 am »

Literally 5000?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2011, 01:21:56 am »

Yes, litterally.

Everytime I move my adventurer or fortress back to the site I think it copies each snake man, ane pastes it on top of an existing snake man or something.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2011, 02:57:55 am »

I admit to not caring much what skills an immigrant brings, my starting 7 never are skilled in anything, I run an equal opportunity fort, every dwarf gets every labor enabled (execpt for the mutually exclusive ones, and hunting and fishing).
  I make sure to run a few weapon and armour jobs so some dwarves get dabbling in thoes skills, then wait for the moods to happen, only after a dwarf reaches leganfry do I ask for a private workshop for that one dwarf.

Generally a dwarf gets killed, and I'm like Meh, there's plenty more where he came from. Mandates, fall where they may, I just make sure to put out restraints near the well
My dwarves never wait around for one dwarf to get around to doing something, if the broker is busy I set the anyone may trade flag and move on, if some dwarf is a better broker, she gets the job next time.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2011, 03:00:31 am »

I-I mus-st c-confess...  :(

In all that ~5 months of playing... Tons of fortresses cluttering the worlds... A-And I never found magma.
I fear digging deep.
I fear finding whats there.
I-I fear... THE DEEP!

In all t-that time of playing... I only reached a cave only one time... and then some minutes later, I abandoned that fort...

I'M DEEPNOFOBIC! I FEAR DIGGING DEEP!

If you want to find out what's down there, you can always start a fortress and immediately begin digging down. As long as your fort is young and tiny, you don't have anything to lose.

Besides, finding the magma sea doesn't necassarily mean unleashing the HFS. Just make sure you don't mine any adamantine.

That is significantly easier now. Before .40d I had many fortresses die horribly when I discovered the lovely blue stuff on a corner edge, where certain things got triggered without me ever mining a single wafer.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2011, 08:34:59 pm »

In all that ~5 months of playing... Tons of fortresses cluttering the worlds... A-And I never found magma.
I fear digging deep.
I-I fear... THE DEEP!

In all t-that time of playing... I only reached a cave only one time... and then some minutes later, I abandoned that fort...

If you want to find out what's down there, you can always start a fortress and immediately begin digging down. As long as your fort is young and tiny, you don't have anything to lose.

Besides, finding the magma sea doesn't necassarily mean unleashing the HFS. Just make sure you don't mine any adamantine.

That is significantly easier now. Before .40d I had many fortresses die horribly when I discovered the lovely blue stuff on a corner edge, where certain things got triggered without me ever mining a single wafer.

I thought you'd need at least 1 mined to get Too Deep'd. So in 40d just FINDING candy unleashes the Fun?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2011, 12:43:20 am »

I fear digging deep.
I-I fear... THE DEEP!

I thought you'd need at least 1 mined to get Too Deep'd. So in 40d just FINDING candy unleashes the Fun?

Sometimes. The generator worked such that oftimes the "OMGWTFBBQ" happened when you mined out a "corner" of the inner funhouse, which did not have to be made out of adamantime.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2011, 08:06:44 am »

Where as i have dug into 3 tubular adamantine layers and still no demon incursion. Im a little depressed actually. I mean i actually want my fortress to be destroyed by demon rape.

And nada.

Balls.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2011, 11:38:10 am »

you'll know when it's real

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2012, 08:35:25 am »

*Sigh*

Been playing DF for quite some time now and I've still never found an FB. Community forts and others yes, but never my own. Never my forgotten monstrosity.

One day I will find the caverns.

One day.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2012, 09:09:54 am »

I dislike using marksdwarves without my modded disc launchers. Because not fighting your enemy dwarf to-whatever-the-fuck is undwarven. Only humies and elves hide behind bows and crossbows.

Except when those disc launchers are used. Because bisecting a goblin with a hand-held disc gun is awesome.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2012, 09:12:04 am »

I always have a tantrum spiral around the 200-250 population mark due to sudden migrant arrivals and random events.  One day I'll figure out how to prevent this, but until then I'll just keep ensuring the masons pump out stacks of coffins early on.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2012, 09:57:47 am »

My traps are crumby and usually end up killing more dwarves than enemies. Even when it's not on purpose. (I like to keep my population at around 20-30 WHILE having no popcap. I consider it part of the challenge.)
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2012, 10:16:13 am »

I use dwarves to power my pump stacks, because I'm too lazy to figure out mechanics...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2012, 10:23:05 am »

I go out of my way to please elven merchants, just because. BUT, if despite my efforts they are offended, I get MAD. I wait until they are standing on my cage traps, then go apeshit on them. Any I capture are volunteers for the gladiator arena/marksdwarf area (so fun watching goblins and elves duke it out while marksdwarves shoot at them), or I drop them from my newly redesigned execution tower onto the spikes below.
I also Feel weird every time I choose a non-mountain embark, and so I go out of my way to build one. My current fort only has the refuse housing area, and the Tower.
I also treat my (Vampire) king well, better then the other nobles anyway, who all mysteriously are found at the bottom of mineshafts (actually, that was a real accident. He was a miner and I forgot he was there, and by the time I told him to dig himself out he was too busy looking for food. Worst part, I saved him, but he died of thirst on the way to the well.), My king has VERY nice furniture, including a rather epic Bloodthorn weapon rack. I even put up with his incessant demands for clay pots.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:26:19 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Harald387

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2012, 01:03:52 pm »

My entire fortress must consist of 7x15 rectangles (and subdivisions of same) and 3-wide corridors between them, with up/down stairs at every intersection. Exceptions are only made for the tunnels necessary for filling my cistern (well) and magma trenches (if I embarked near a volcano).

Dwarf bedrooms are 3x3 because the 1x3 design looks ugly to me. I can fit eight 3x3 bedrooms into a 7x15 rectangle. Noble bedrooms, dining rooms, and throne rooms are 7x7, which is always more than enough to keep them happy (and conveniently fit 2 into the rectangle).

My Mason's Shops accept only Proficient or better Masons; my Masons don't have architecture, but my Haulers all have architecture and Masonry enabled. When I want a wall or floor made, IT HAPPENS.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:08:14 pm by Harald387 »
"I will answer fealty with fealty, protection with protection, justice with justice, and oathbreaking with vengeance, so help me God"

-David Weber, "Field of Dishonor"
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10