Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pay for next years caravan  (Read 773 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pay for next years caravan
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »

A constant problem with trading is that despite setting highest possible priorities for items you want, the caravan rarely brings enough of it. Especially frustrating when you need something like steel and would be willing to pay quadruple prices if only the caravan brought enough of it.

It would be nice if you could pay the traders in advance to bring a larger caravan next year. An overwhelming offering to go with a profitable trade agreement should definately be enough for the traders to bring more cargo animals with their next caravan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Pay for next years caravan
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:58:30 pm »

*cough*caravan arc*cough*

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:43:52 pm »

A constant problem with trading is that despite setting highest possible priorities for items you want, the caravan rarely brings enough of it. Especially frustrating when you need something like steel and would be willing to pay quadruple prices if only the caravan brought enough of it.

I never ask for more than 1 "notch" of request, because they don't seem to bring more when I throw the slider higher (it just costs more).

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »

*cough*caravan arc*cough*

The caravan arc is being developed right now. Do you think there's a more appropriate time to discuss it?

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 06:09:36 pm »

What I would like to see is a system where settlements (including your own fortress) can offer specific exports (such as 7000☼ worth of red silk, or 1000☼ worth of stone crafts with at least exceptional quality), and when trade meetings occur you view the offerings of various settlements and request specified amounts of those goods. The offerings of your own fortress would be suggested by the bookkeeper based on the previous year's production, but ultimately the user gets to choose them.
Rather than being vague suggestions and setting of prices, trade agreements would be a contract where you guarantee you can provide the exports that have been requested of you, and you guarantee that when the caravan comes around with the goods you've requested you will be able to afford it. Failure to fulfill agreements would affect entity relations.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 06:33:16 pm »

What I would like to see is a system where settlements (including your own fortress) can offer specific exports (such as 7000☼ worth of red silk, or 1000☼ worth of stone crafts with at least exceptional quality), and when trade meetings occur you view the offerings of various settlements and request specified amounts of those goods. The offerings of your own fortress would be suggested by the bookkeeper based on the previous year's production, but ultimately the user gets to choose them.
Rather than being vague suggestions and setting of prices, trade agreements would be a contract where you guarantee you can provide the exports that have been requested of you, and you guarantee that when the caravan comes around with the goods you've requested you will be able to afford it. Failure to fulfill agreements would affect entity relations.

Yeah, I personally have always rather preferred something more like the system in Pharoah.  You have a screen where you say that you'll buy up to such-and-such an amount of goods that the traders from one port or city are willing to offer you, and then you slate up to such-and-such an amount of goods to be made available for trade every year.

The actual bargaining and trade takes place without you having to drop everything and wade through a menu for an hour to manually select each and every individual bag of sand you want to buy and toggle each and every pig tail sock and microcline mug you want to sell.

Something like that would also be of much greater use if we get a caravan system and tavern where we don't have just "The Autumn Caravan", and instead have fleets of merchants who stop by every other week, and just do some trading and some boozing in your tarvern while in town before heading back off on the dusty caravan trails. 

That way, as a player, I can just say "Buy every single ____ metal bar that comes by, and just get rid of these stupid microcline mugs and pig tail socks in exchange for that."
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 06:37:24 pm »

And to extend the idea, if a settlement consistently offers and exports some high-quality good year after year it may develop a reputation for that good, increasing demand for it. So you might receive more requests for your finely-crafted microcline mugs, and at the same time, your dwarves might start asking for barrels of that delicious meadowsweet ale from nearby Rustywhips.