Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [31.18] Avoiding Worldgen Rejection Error?  (Read 520 times)

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[31.18] Avoiding Worldgen Rejection Error?
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:08:45 am »

(While I'm waiting for the numerous annoyances of .19 to be fixed, I'm sticking with .18, so keep that in mind!)

I usually play on large regions (257x257), tinkered to make things appear just how I like (more wetlands/forests since I like relatively flat embarks) Typically, I generate a couple of worlds and go on my merry way.

However, I'm trying to make a smaller, faster world (and fort) this time to help avoid the issues with FPS that set in around the 100-150 dwarf mark. (My most recent fort is ~130 dwarves and while it's not FPS death, it's getting noticeably slow.) As part of this, I'm trying to create a smaller (65x65) region. When I do so, I'm getting an error I've never seen in my large regions. The wiki either doesn't explain this one, or my search-fu is weak (or both).

The common error is: "The Dimensions of Dawning, region2: Flat/rough areas not evenly distributed: 2570-1627-28" and I'm generating hundreds of worlds where 80-90% have this error (with different unequal distributions).

I've got no limitations on elevation, and I can't see a way to alter the distribution of flat/rough directly. What am I missing? Where's my setting handle to alter this so they're not all rejects?

My settings for this world are listed below, for reference:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Locking: Found it. Drainage was my culprit. Setting maximum to 80 allowed it through.

Diagnosis:
1. Turn off map reject logging.
2. Run ~1500 maps through worldgen until drainage reports as the culprit.
3. Adjust drainage upwards to allow some high-drainage areas.

Note that the error message is not indicative of a problem with drainage!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:22:39 am by Nameless Archon »