Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Possible unification of Dwarf Fortress and the Adventurer modes?  (Read 3158 times)

El Cabra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible unification of Dwarf Fortress and the Adventurer modes?
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:37:18 am »

Hi. DF looks great. I love how the trend for real hardcore games has gone up in the recent years and am gladly playing several projects now. DF is best of the best among these games :) (seriously).

I was wondering if the Devs have planned to unite two modes into one single mode in the future?

IMO It would be more than great to experience them both rather than individually.

What I mean, is one HUGE world (well, you could still customize the size when creating a new one) with all the possibilities the game provides. You are making a character, who has little skills, no title, homeless, almost broke and get him to the top!

Like in the DF mode you could still build underground fortresses (if playing a dwarf, for example), or castles (more likely if you're playing a human). Or you could simply get rich by becoming a good merchant and have some workshops in a town or in several towns. Endless possibilities :)

Would be nice if you could get/recruit/ your companions to start building your empire, rather than getting free 7 dwarves. Then you could get richer and  richer, recruit a lot of workers, make services for random citizens who are in need for help (for money or for free, getting friends this way) etc.

DF already looks like a great medieval/fantasy-like simulator but I think that above suggestion would make it even better! - a player could establish his/her own destiny from scratch!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:43:18 am by El Cabra »

El Cabra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible unification of Dwarf Fortress and the Adventurer modes?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:39:02 am »

omg ssory, quoted my post by accident, remove this one please :/

El Cabra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:41:30 am »

ftw guys please add Remove post feature, this is somewhat annoying to accidently copy your post if trying to modify

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:43:01 am »

There are already plans to expand adventurer mode to include a large amount of what is in fortress mode.

See the devpage for what is already going into the game.

There are also several suggestions to expand upon this frameworking: This one is mine.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

El Cabra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:44:14 am »

There are already plans to expand adventurer mode to include a large amount of what is in fortress mode.

See the devpage for what is already going into the game.

There are also several suggestions to expand upon this frameworking: This one is mine.

Thx, don't get me wrong, I have been reading Dev section for a while, but didn't found anything close to my thoughts.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:48:12 pm »

Yea, I think that the main difference will be that in adventure mode you're going to have to bring up the conversation menu and tell people what to do as opposed to queuing up tasks in workshops and what not.

Imagine how efficiently you'll be able to wipe the map if you excavate your fortress, ascend to the position of the merchant ruler of a powerful civ and command an army of a thousand steel clad human knights. Friggin' steamroller.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:59:50 pm »

Yea, I think that the main difference will be that in adventure mode you're going to have to bring up the conversation menu and tell people what to do as opposed to queuing up tasks in workshops and what not.

Imagine how efficiently you'll be able to wipe the map if you excavate your fortress, ascend to the position of the merchant ruler of a powerful civ and command an army of a thousand steel clad human knights. Friggin' steamroller.

And then they go all Libya on you and you're fucked :P

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:16:53 pm »

And then they go all Libya on you and you're fucked :P

Technically, the guys who were kicked out, Ben Ali, Mubarak, and now Mohmmar (who also had being completely batshit crazy to his name) were all dictators or presidents-elected-for-life who ruled for decades.  They only got kicked out in part because the populace realized that when the old dictators died, their sons would take over, and they were even crazier than their fathers in some cases.

Wait, why am I talking politics in this thread?

Anyway, yeah, you should have the ability to own land, command followers to build or dig castles or fortresses, raise livestock, rent out your farmland to tenents, order magma canons constructed, etc. etc.

It'll all be very cool if monsterously difficult to manage everything you are trying to do because the interface will become even more obtuse than the fortress mode interface.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

El Cabra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:34:05 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku

It'll all be very cool if monsterously difficult to manage everything you are trying to do because the interface will become even more obtuse than the fortress mode interface.

Not if they will plan it right.

What I am basically dreaming about is a gameplay where you WON'T be able to scroll the entire map and only see your character and the space around him (just like in Adventure mode) and you will only be able to give orders 'face-to-face'. For example, if you wan't to mine down a fortress you have to 'Talk' to one of your miners, or a bunch at once and select 'Orders' or something like that then choose 'Mining' (the same 'to do' menu as in the DF mode) and then the map changes somehow so you can actually scroll it and choose the location to mine.

Might be pretty difficult since you will have to give orders to several workers, not just one. To solve this why not add special organizer where you can organise everything what belongs to you? For example, you can grant a skilled miner to be a 'Miner commander' so once you give a task to him he will then go find other mining dwarves and tell them what to do? Same goes to any profession. Other dwarves hapiness will also depend on how they treat the commander as well as work etc.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:49:46 pm by El Cabra »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:40:27 pm »

I dunno, I think Natural Selection had it right...  Lock your adv. at a desk to enter planning mode.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 01:45:26 pm »

You're quoting me, not Dutchling.  Plus, it's not so much "they" as it is "Toady".

Anyway, all that you're describing is pretty much what is expected.  If you want to make this a thread about how to actually implement the way you talk to and manage your peons from a first-person perspective, then that could be something fairly new.  Otherwise, you're just asking for a concept that is coming into the game eventually, anyway.

As Granite26 just linked, there has been some talk for years about "transitions of scale".  (I used that thread as a basis of my own thread that I linked to earlier.) Going from a first-person perspective of an adventurer to managing a fortress to running a whole kingdom. 

The problem comes when you are talking about transitions of timescale as well as management scale.  Unless you want to be passing turns on balancing books and writing missives and studying the reports of your administrators, then running a kingdom is a process that takes a different timescale than a fistfight.

So, again, if you want to add to what is already going in or suggested, talk about how your system of actually representing it to the player or the way that the simulation is calculated will take place.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 01:50:44 pm »

I dunno, I think Natural Selection had it right...  Lock your adv. at a desk to enter planning mode.
... LOL

Did el cabra just put words into your mouth and you didn't even notice? That's HILLARIOUS.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

El Cabra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 02:07:55 pm »

You're quoting me, not Dutchling.

Fixed. Ssory, I feel kinda tired and haven't slept for 22 hours (was playing DF since I woke up last time lol)

Plus, it's not so much "they" as it is "Toady".

Iright, I am new to Bay 12 forums and I haven't had time to explore the system yet, who's the owner, lead designer etc. All I can see are forum mods. Next time my posts which are related with the game developing will only be adressed to 'Toady'.

P.S. My compliments to the creator. The game looks damn neat!

Anyway, all that you're describing is pretty much what is expected.  If you want to make this a thread about how to actually implement the way you talk to and manage your peons from a first-person perspective, then that could be something fairly new.  Otherwise, you're just asking for a concept that is coming into the game eventually, anyway.

I've been to the boards for what? 2 hours? You have been here for years I quess. I can not know what is planned and is on the list. If what you say is being implemented will be based on my idea, then great. If not, this is why I started this thread, to make sure if something like this or closer is planned/suggested so others may support this idea or share their ideas so we can discuss it. I can not simply open the whole concept of my idea because this would ruin the aim of suggestion. We need to discuss it and share ideas together so Toady would have better view on how people feel about this and how he thinks should it be implemented etc. It's not about rush.

As Granite26 just linked, there has been some talk for years about "transitions of scale".  (I used that thread as a basis of my own thread that I linked to earlier.) Going from a first-person perspective of an adventurer to managing a fortress to running a whole kingdom.

Cool, I am reading them now, they sound great. But they do not remove the need of my post because they are not 100 % accurate to what I suggest. This is why I started my suggestion. Despite it being not the first thread about 'transitions of scale' it still has some unique aspects which IMO we should discuss and later it will help the development to make the right decision.

Again, we are all here to discuss it. Other threads, including yours, are great and I am probably going to support both of them later, but this is just my personal point of view.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 02:28:31 pm »

I can not know what is planned and is on the list.

There is the current development page and the old (disorganized) development page.  The old page outlines the whole scope of the game, but the new devpage is the "short term" goal for the next 5 years or so that it'll take them to get through the "short term".

Toady One is Tarn Adams.  He and his brother are the entire staff.  Hence, no "lead developer" or the like, it's just Toady.

Again, we are all here to discuss it. Other threads, including yours, are great and I am probably going to support both of them later, but this is just my personal point of view.

I am not trying to say that you can't make a suggestion, I'm just saying that "we should have a chance to develop fortresses from adventurer mode" is an idea that has been around a while (and which is a functional design goal down the road), but which doesn't describe much on its own.  If you have an idea of how you actually want to control the game from this sort of adventurer-centric role, then discuss how this will actually look and how you will actually give out commands and how the AI will be able to understand and interpret those ideas in-game.  That's the sort of thing that actually adds to the conversation, since we can then compare and contrast command and control schemes to see which one would be most suitable.

I'm not saying to stop suggesting, I'm saying give more detail in the suggestion.  You're talking about a vision, but I'm not really seeing this vision.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2