Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Problems...Sort of  (Read 731 times)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
Embark Problems...Sort of
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:27:51 am »

So, I just downloaded .18 again (I thought uninstalling it would stop me from playing. Wrong.), and I'm trying to select skills and goods, but I can't add or take away any items or add any skills to dwarfs. I can use the arrow keys to select dwarfs and items, I can use "v" to view each dwarf, but I can't add or take things away. At all.

It's not like I accidentally hit Caps Lock or something, and I'm really stumped here. Anyone have a problem like this before? Thanks in advance.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Problems...Sort of
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:34:05 am »

You're too addicted to magma. :P The only thing I can suggest to rid yourself of such an horrible addiction is, of course, MAGMA!

To the question at hand: Do you have enough embark points? Have you designated all of the skill points to the dwarves already? Tried changing the hotkeys around?

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 12:37:50 am »

I'm not addicted to magma; I just don't want to quit. That's it.

That's the weird thing. I haven't spent any points yet, at all. I can't add them to dwarfs, and I can't change stuff on the goods screen either. I've got the starting 270 embark points. It recognizes some key presses, like "v" or "c" and the arrows but not the -/+ keys. I even tried using another keyboard, and it won't pick up those key presses.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:16 am »

I'm not addicted to magma; I just don't want to quit. That's it.

That's the weird thing. I haven't spent any points yet, at all. I can't add them to dwarfs, and I can't change stuff on the goods screen either. I've got the starting 270 embark points. It recognizes some key presses, like "v" or "c" and the arrows but not the -/+ keys. I even tried using another keyboard, and it won't pick up those key presses.
Third question is what the -/+ keys are actually bound to, although I didn't do that very well. (Neither did my attempt at humor.) /doh

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:59:57 am »

I haven't messed with the key bindings, and the -/+ are listed as move secondary selector up and down. Maybe this is a sign from on high that I shouldn't be playing  :P

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 01:08:53 am »

I know it's bad etiquette to double post, but I embarked (7 dwarfs with no skills whatsoever) and all commands work just fine now that I'm in game. So strange.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 05:08:52 am »

It's not like I accidentally hit Caps Lock or something, and I'm really stumped here. Anyone have a problem like this before? Thanks in advance.

Well, there is Num Lock, too, which changes the functions of the number pad keys (all those buttons on the right of the keyboard).  Usually, there's a light on the keyboard to tell you if it's on or off.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.