Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effective Cavern Defences  (Read 1395 times)

Footman04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Effective Cavern Defences
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:58:35 pm »

I'm having some problems with effective defences for the passages between my fortress and the caverns. I'm currently using a bridge airlock system, but it is cumbersome and difficult to operate. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve this?

HoaBinh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Effective Cavern Defences
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:05:54 am »

Cage traps ... it works on most things.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 12:10:11 am »

repeating spikes, cages, an airlock, and for a last failsafe either magma flooding or a simple wall on a support attached to a lever somewhere higher up and safe
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 12:10:52 am »

Walls.

Seriously, just build walls in any connecting tunnel which leads to a part of the cavern you're not using.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:07 am »

I use a single 10-steel-weapon trap down a short 1-wide passage with a chained dog a few tiles back.  The trap usually doesn't kill, but the severely injured intruders are rarely able to even get to the dog, providing easy insta-gibs for even novice warriors with average weapons.  Oddly, a lot of the curious cavern-dwellers will activate a trap, get a tile past it, then go into a "retreat" mode and step right on the same trap again.

If I'm worried about Forgotten Beasts or spiders, well, I wall off the caverns.  No need to be down there if I'm not to the point where I can take on a somewhat serious monster.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:29:46 am »

Could linking a hatch, above a ramp leading downwards to the cavern work?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 12:35:53 am »

Could linking a hatch, above a ramp leading downwards to the cavern work?

If you're not expecting any building destroyers, yes.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:32 am »

A ballista or half a dozen marksdwarves behind fortifications and a lever-linked iron door should cater for most things on their own, and delay Forgotten Beasts long enough for you to call in the heavy mob.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:40:44 am »

It should be noted that there are two types of building destroyer; BuildingDestroyer 1's and BuildingDestroyer 2's.  For simplicity's sake I'll call them Rank 1 and Rank 2.  Rank 1's can destroy buildings and furniture -- IF they are made out of Wood.  Rank 2's can destroy ALL buildings and furniture, regardless of what they're made of.  Still, Building Destroyers of both types can't destroy traps and will happily trigger them; unless the creature happens to be a trapavoid building destroyer.  The best way to deal those, or any building destroyers is to construct a support in a random area, then build a floor or wall above it.  The stupid beast won't be able to resist that juicy pillar and barely have time to scream before they are squashed by your cave-in.

Also, if you're having trouble with those annoying Gremlins, build a lever right next to a linked support with a larger floor above it.  Gremlins can't resist levers and will pull them with the biggest grin on their faces; but won't have time to entirely replace that expression as they are reduced to pancakes.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 03:13:15 am »

In my past fort, I used pressure plates and floor hatches to divide cavern monsters into three groups: useful creatures (GCS,cave crocs), useless creatures (crundles,trogs) and building destroyer 2's/trap avoids.
When the useless creatures tried to go through the cage trap corridor, they triggered a floor hatch that would reroute them to the serrated steel disks. Likewise, when useful creatures try to enter the weapon trap corridor, a hatch would open that would send them towards the cages. There is a third path that is blocked by a locked door, behind lies ~10 menacing steel spikes linked to a lever.

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 05:33:29 am »

1-tile wide floor over a pit that's deep enough. Weapon traps on it. They'll dodge off the bridge and fall into the pit, ready for future use.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:27:39 am »

It should be noted that there are two types of building destroyer; BuildingDestroyer 1's and BuildingDestroyer 2's.  For simplicity's sake I'll call them Rank 1 and Rank 2.  Rank 1's can destroy buildings and furniture -- IF they are made out of Wood.  Rank 2's can destroy ALL buildings and furniture, regardless of what they're made of.  Still, Building Destroyers of both types can't destroy traps and will happily trigger them; unless the creature happens to be a trapavoid building destroyer.  The best way to deal those, or any building destroyers is to construct a support in a random area, then build a floor or wall above it.  The stupid beast won't be able to resist that juicy pillar and barely have time to scream before they are squashed by your cave-in.

Also, if you're having trouble with those annoying Gremlins, build a lever right next to a linked support with a larger floor above it.  Gremlins can't resist levers and will pull them with the biggest grin on their faces; but won't have time to entirely replace that expression as they are reduced to pancakes.

i thought that building destroyers knocking over supports was a myth
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:32:59 am »

It's a thing that was removed in 31.01.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 11:44:09 am »

Code: [Select]
Side view:

_████
█▲d cd
███▲█████████
█████████████

First a door, then a cage trap, then a water channel for cleaning contaminants (3/7 full), then another door, then a ramp up covered by a retracting bridge. The bridge is remotely linked to a lever in a safe control center. Both doors are "tightly closed" but not forbidden. If a creature you want to capture is waiting outside the outer door, remove the "tightly closed" status to let it pass. If a FB destroys a door, quickly close the bridge.