Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Missing glazes for this tech level.  (Read 2085 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Missing glazes for this tech level.
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:06 pm »

I've seen salt glaze mentioned in a few places but not in suggestions. I'd guess for DF this would be a glaze that used rock salt as its substrate. Ideally salt itself could be obtained from seawater but that's a whole new ballgame.

And we had vitreous enamel as far back as ancient egypt. I mean, we call it glazing because it's glass. Why can't I use glass to glaze? Raw green glass would be a nice substrate for this one.

Finally, on the topic of kilns, I'd really like to see pots that could be used as bins as well. I'm thinking 'basin'?
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Missing glazes for this tech level.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:17:28 pm »

Well, there's this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49525.msg1059834#msg1059834

Gazz did a big list of stuff you can do with pottery and glazes about a year ago.

Anyway, I said something about this a little while ago, as well...

Basically, you want to smelt a metal bar, then grind it down into a powder, not use a raw ore, and you shouldn't use an entire metal bar's worth of metal for a single pot, anyway.

Still, you'd come up with something like this:

Iron: rust red, although you can get various kinds of brown, orange, or yellow depending on if you make the iron impure enough with soils or clays
Copper: Green (like an old penny or the Statue of Liberty)
Manganese (smelted from magnetite or pyrolusite): purple or black
Lead: red
Cobalt: Cobalt blue
Tin or Zircon (comes with the tin): White
Gold: yellow (well, gold, at least.  It doesn't get a patina or change colors due to oxidation)
Silver: silver
Wood/ash: dull green

When I get around to it, I'm going to make a mod where you use powders of metals for glazes, instead of just using the metals or ores directly, and the powdering produces a bag full of 10 pigments, not just one use, and all those will be incorporated.
Yeah, back in the same porcelain suggestion I linked, we were talking about making either microcline or orthoclase a necessary part of the glaze reactions, although just sand would also work.

Of course, now microcline is rediculously rare, and Toady doesn't really seem to like using small fractions of an item, so I left that part out of it.

Glazes (and for that matter, enamels, I need to mod enamels while I'm at it... and lacquers) are basically made of glass, with metal impurities that give the glass some color.  You can think of glazes and enamels as stained glass that are put on ceramics or metals, repsecitvely.

You can do crazy stuff with enamels, the Russian Tzars were especially nuts with the stuff:
http://www.artfinding.com/Artwork/Tablewares-Containers/Pavel-Ovchinnikov/Russian-enamel-tankard/6015.html
http://webrevolutionary.com/price/Silver-Gilt-Enamel-Russian-Egg-Swan-84_140499807078.html
http://www.russianantiquestore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CU1TGDX01

Of course, there are other uses for microcline and orthoclase as well, you can also grind them into fertilizers...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:35:11 pm »

I'd just like to point out that because glazing is a reaction, you can do this yourself, to an extent.
I'm not sure the glass furnace is exposed to custom reactions for the glass glaze, but that rock salt glaze should be perfectly possible to mod in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this isn't a good idea or anything, but you can do it yourself if you're that interested :P
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:00:15 pm »

Yeah, that's what I was intending to do, myself. 

I think Toady is intending to add more glazes, but the problem is that glazing a single pot takes an entire ore stone.

As in, the clay that makes the pot is an infinitely small amount of clay so that you can take infinite amounts of it from a single tile, but an entire wall's worth of material has to go into making the pretty decoration on the infinitely small amount of material that make up the pot itself.

DF reeeeeally needs to get its concepts of proportionality straight.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:28:12 am »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this isn't a good idea or anything, but you can do it yourself if you're that interested :P

Well, I would like rock salt to be millable to bag with 5 units to salt (at apropriate quern buildings, no custom workshop) and salt extracted from saltwater. Not sure I can mod this...

I will also point out that modding this himself/myself is fine solution, but feature added for everyone is kinda better for, well, everyone.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 01:51:32 pm »

I will also point out that modding this himself/myself is fine solution, but feature added for everyone is kinda better for, well, everyone.
That's my point, really. It's a big omission from the vanilla game.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 02:01:38 pm »

Well, I would like rock salt to be millable to bag with 5 units to salt (at apropriate quern buildings, no custom workshop) and salt extracted from saltwater. Not sure I can mod this...

The former could probably be done this way:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:GRIND_SALT]
[NAME:grind rock salt]
[BUILDING:QUERN:CUSTOM_R]
[BUILDING:MILLSTONE:CUSTOM_R]
[REAGENT:stone:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:ROCK_SALT]
[REAGENT:bag:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][BAG][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:POWDER_MISC:NONE:SALT:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:bag]
[SKILL:MILLING]
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 05:40:48 pm »

I think Toady is intending to add more glazes, but the problem is that glazing a single pot takes an entire ore stone.

Make the reaction take 1 ore and 4 jars to glaze?  It'd mean you could only glaze four identical items at once (and not two pots, a pan, and a jar), but it would offer better efficiency.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 06:01:57 pm »

Make the reaction take 1 ore and 4 jars to glaze?  It'd mean you could only glaze four identical items at once (and not two pots, a pan, and a jar), but it would offer better efficiency.

No, like in the quote I was talking about, you don't use the ore stone, you have a different task to grind metal into a powder used for glazing.  The grinding is its own reaction that transforms a metal into a stack pf powders that is stuffed into a sack for storage, and only one powder is used per glazing.  Having one metal bar make 10 powders, for example, would mean one metal bar would functionally be the glaze of 10 pots.

I'd honestly prefer something more like 1/20th or 1/30th of a bar of metal for a glaze of a jug, since it really shouldn't take very much metal to serve as just a glaze, but I'm not sure if a sack can hold 30 of an item, regardless of its size.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:56:12 pm »

UIVMM, food stacks up into the 100's

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 09:18:43 pm »

Yes, but it doesn't fit in a barrel, hence does a stack of 30 powder fit in a bag?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:30:40 pm »

UIVMM?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »

UIVMM?

Google Fu says:
Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 08:37:49 am »

Yes, but it doesn't fit in a barrel, hence does a stack of 30 powder fit in a bag?

Good point.  I don't follow that closely.

Any large acronym at the start of a sentence is usually just a quibble.  Afaik, afaic, imho, etc.  I ususually just assume it's a gramatically correct one.

Im doing all my posts from my phone.  Makes me lazy, esp. about the typos.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 03:41:36 pm »

[REACTION:MAKE_GLAZE]
[NAME:make glaze powder]
[BUILDING:QUERN:CUSTOM_G]
[BUILDING:MILLSTONE:CUSTOM_G]
[REAGENT:glaze:1:ANY_RAW_MATERIAL:NONE:NONE:NONE] ANY_RAW_MATERIAL means powder/bars/boulders/globs
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT]
[REAGENT:bag:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][BAG][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:POWDER_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:GLAZE_MAT][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:bag]
[SKILL:MILLING]
For each glazing reaction:
[REAGENT:glaze:1:ANY_RAW_MATERIAL:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT]
->
[REAGENT:glaze:150:POWDER_MISC:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE]
[REAGENT:glaze container:1:BOX:NONE:NONE:NONE][BAG][CONTAINS:glaze][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[IMPROVEMENT:100:whatever:GLAZED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:GLAZE_MAT]
->
[IMPROVEMENT:100:whatever:GLAZED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:NONE]
Finally, edit inorganic_other.txt and add [REACTION_CLASS:GLAZE] to each glaze material, then edit entity_default.txt and permit the MAKE_GLAZE reaction.

Seems to work rather nicely - one chunk of cassiterite makes 5 units of tin glaze powder, 1 bar of ash makes 5 units of ash glaze powder, and you only use 1 unit per glazing job.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:43:08 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2