Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some questions about armor and stuff.  (Read 1186 times)

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
Some questions about armor and stuff.
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:04:55 pm »

Okaaaaay. When I create gauntlets, are they randomly generated to be right/left gauntlets or are they always being produced in pairs? Somehow my squad of 10 dorfs assigned to specific gauntlets, which have been produced 10 times, aren't doing things right.

Is it a good idea to give my marksdorfs armor like breastplates, gauntlets and other armor for melee squads or should they stick to lightweight leather (rotting) armor? Maybe chainmails instead of breastplates?

How can I avoid floors and walls to become muddy? I do not want mud infested water in my wells.

Thanks in advance.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about armor and stuff.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:16:51 pm »

Always make an even number of (gauntlets|gloves|boots|mittens|socks).  If you tell it to make 8 boots, you end up with 4 pairs. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:21:17 pm »

Always make an even number of (gauntlets|gloves|boots|mittens|socks).  If you tell it to make 8 boots, you end up with 4 pairs. :D

No, boots/shoes/socks/etc. and gloves/mittens/gauntlets/etc. are always made in pairs.  One "forge <metal> gauntlets" job will produce a right and left gauntlet, and one "forge <metal> boots" job will produce two boots.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:27:24 pm »

All paired items are made in pairs.  Or, I assume, however many limbs your race has.  If your people have 4 arms, you probably get 2 R and 2 L gauntlets.  Testing will be needed.

Regardless, when assigning individual gear, make sure you aren't assigning the same gear, and that you're assigning two gauntlets and boots.  If told to "Equip this left gauntlet" then they will do so, and not wear a right, unless you ALSO specify them to wear a right gauntlet.  Same for boots, assign them two boots.  This seems to only hold true for manual equipment.  If told "Any steel boot" they'll grab a pair correctly and wear two.  Also be careful that you don't have two soldiers who've been assigned the same glove.  This is hilarious and frustrating.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:31:03 pm »

All paired items are made in pairs.  Or, I assume, however many limbs your race has.  If your people have 4 arms, you probably get 2 R and 2 L gauntlets.  Testing will be needed.

Regardless, when assigning individual gear, make sure you aren't assigning the same gear, and that you're assigning two gauntlets and boots.  If told to "Equip this left gauntlet" then they will do so, and not wear a right, unless you ALSO specify them to wear a right gauntlet.  Same for boots, assign them two boots.  This seems to only hold true for manual equipment.  If told "Any steel boot" they'll grab a pair correctly and wear two.  Also be careful that you don't have two soldiers who've been assigned the same glove.  This is hilarious and frustrating.

I have no clue, how to tell one dorf to wear sonme specific armor. All I do is to go to the squad menu, define my uniform, exact match and then assign this uniform to the squad. If one dorf got attached to some cheap metal armor/weapon I go to the inventory, select the armor/weapon and forbid it.

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:23:42 pm »

This is wrong. Only one boot and one gauntlet assignment is needed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:27:12 pm »

On automatic, yes.  If you tell a soldier "Steel Gauntlet" he'll go grab a pair.  If you specify ≡Steel Right Gauntlet≡ under "specific gloves" type, then he will grab that one glove, and not a left.  This is what I referred to.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 02:55:08 am »

Thanks so far. What about the other two questions?  :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:11:27 am »

Ok.

2) Armor for archers.  Depends on their work.  If they're standing on battlements and firing through fortifications, they're probably not receiving fire, and thus you can put them naked.  If they're following axers and regularly exposed to sieges, then full plate armor would help.

3) Mud.  Namely, floors and roads.  You can remove mud via floors, but then you get muddy floors instead, unless you do something like make bridges in your plumbing, since bridges don't muddy up.  Roads may or may not work, never tested if roads will muddy or not.  Paved roads, mind you, not dirt roads.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 12:42:23 pm »

Thanks.

The basic idea behind avoiding mud in my water was to support my hospital with clean water. So I am trying to build some self cleaning water supply.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 01:23:15 pm »

Mud is not a contaminant in the sense that blood or FB extract is. Water on top of mud is still considered clean water, and good for drinking and cleaning wounds.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 01:26:52 pm »

Mud is not a contaminant in the sense that blood or FB extract is. Water on top of mud is still considered clean water, and good for drinking and cleaning wounds.

Well, if you check your doctor, while he is cleaning a patient, it will say something like "clean patient with muddy water".

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »

That's because you're drawing from the mud itself (more or less).  If you make your reservoir 2 layers deep, then the bucket draws from the top layer, which is crisp and clean, where the bottom layer is "muddy water".

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 06:35:13 pm »

Thanks again! Again I learned something.