Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A spree of failure.  (Read 1546 times)

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A spree of failure.
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:54:54 pm »

The subject tell it all. For a whole day i was generating worlds in 31.19 and every world was even failier(hurr) than the previous.
Can someone share the candyland embark for me to cheer up? (no aquifer, river, trees, metals and honeybees are candyland enough for me)
I'll pay you with a lolpicture! (not related with Dorfs, sadly)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:57:57 pm by Diverso »
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

Is someone keeping track of all these?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: A spree of failure.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:59:03 pm »

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:01:51 pm »

Good enough for you? XD
Sadly, no. Aquifer's there, and i'm too new to know how to bypass those :/
Only in DF do you get discussions of how to genocide babies and children because they take up resources, slaughter merpeople for their bones, eat raw kitten meat, and set carefree, happy elves on fire.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:04:37 pm »

check the wiki for aquifer .. there should be a simple list of what to do to mod out aquifer :>

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:08:02 pm »

I have one with a brook, bees, a lot of trees, gold, hematite, galena and no aquifer if anyone can tell me how to post it. Only two caverns though since my computer isn't that great.
Memento Mori

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:31:40 pm »

I would like it, but i'm a newbie aswell and don't know how to post it, anybody care to help? :3
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:35:58 pm by Diverso »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:42:38 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Importing_and_Exporting_Games

Side-note, breaching aquifers isn't so tough if you do the cave-in.  Natural wall stays intact when it falls, so dig to the aquifer, dig a room out that's 5x5 or larger.  Channel down from the surface, so that your 5x5+ block has no wall connections to the rest of the map.  Channel down on that level, from the outside in, until there's only water visible and nothing to stop the cave-in.  Drop the block, it settles in, and then you dig through the block.  The wiki explains it a bit better.

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 05:47:29 pm »

Cave-in's and economy's turned off.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 05:50:56 pm »

There is no economy, fyi.  Dwarven Economy refers to when you get a manager and stock-keeper, and your fortress turns from pseudo-anarchy (or total anarchy, if that's your play style) into capitalism, and dwarves start paying rent and getting paid.  It was in 40d, but was too bugged and isn't here anymore.  Wiki up "dwarven economy" it looks sweet.  Either way, right now that part of the init is just taking up space, on or off doesn't matter since it's been hard-coded out.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:52:54 pm »

Speaking of aquifers, could someone give a decent guide on how to breach them?  The one on the wiki is...  very hard to follow.  I've tried many times.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 05:59:39 pm »

The basic idea is to expose the aquifer.  Dig down to it, and then channel out that floor.  This requires micro-management, as miners are stupid and will drown themselves.  Do it one slice at a time, working from the outside in, until you can see 7/7 water everywhere.  Then, go back to the surface, and channel out a ring the same size as the channeled-out zone.  Channel that ring down, creating a floating block of native soil, it may be smart to make an over-hanging scaffolding with supports built on top of the soil, holding it from above, so that you can pull the lever safely and let it fall in.  Once performed, the soil will drop into the water, and remain solid, which allows you to dig through the soil since it's solid.

Basically, you're dropping a brick into the aquifer, and then digging through that brick to the other side.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 06:07:41 pm »

oilfurnace has a good illustration of how to do it

http://www.timdenee.com/oilfurnace/
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 06:07:58 pm »

Here ya go.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Search for a site with no aquifer, shallow metals and clay. Two will show up. You want the northern one in the tropical forest. You can split it between two biomes. One has sand, gold and iron. The other has clay and galena. The brook goes through both.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:10:56 pm by agatharchides »
Memento Mori

Diverso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 06:10:54 pm »

Wow, thanks. And what about the embark location? :3

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »

Heh, you beat me to it. If you want I have a screenshot of where I breached an aquifer too, if you give me a minute to fish it up.
Memento Mori
Pages: [1] 2