Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Bad Fort Design?  (Read 12360 times)

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Fort Design?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 05:38:09 pm »

Eh, the bedroom designs proposed on the wiki aren't very compact, since none of them seem to be taking advantage of z-levels.

I usually make bedroom wings by making hallway that has intersections, regular and with ramps up and downwards, which lead into hallways with the bedrooms, so that the bedrooms will be on top or under other bedrooms.

Code: [Select]

B | B  B | B  B | B
     B | B  B | B  B | B
     B | B  B | B  B | B   
      vvv     |     ^^^
------->------>------>
      vvv     |     ^^^
     B | B  B | B  B | B   
     B | B  B | B  B | B   
     B | B  B | B  B | B   

- |   hallways
->-   intersection
vvv   ramps down
^^^   ramps up
 B    bedroom*

If I'd draw it better, you'd notice it, but those bedroom units are supposed to overlap on the z-axis (*i.e. the Bs not separated by a hallway are actually on top of/under each other).

I find it pretty nice for fortresses with no strict blueprint. Lets you have decent sized rooms and corridors without the whole complex bloating across one z-level into an ugly and inefficient mess.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 05:44:30 pm »

Screw compact bedroom designs.  Go for suburban sprawl.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 05:52:22 pm »

Screw compact bedroom designs.  Go for suburban sprawl.
Eh, I rather have my fort have bedroom wings sticking out of it than bedroom pizzas.

EDIT:

...Unless the pizzas center is at the center of the fortress... And above it, so the landscape is shadowed by the urban pizza. That could look kind of awesome.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:01:30 pm by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 06:17:49 pm »

Here is how I handle bedrooms: http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-25971-livingquarters

Never got around to finishing it though. :(

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »

Eh, the bedroom designs proposed on the wiki aren't very compact, since none of them seem to be taking advantage of z-levels.

Wrong.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 06:21:28 pm »

Wrong.
...If you build shaft fortresses. (Okay, a couple aren't)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:25:02 pm by Cotes »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 06:41:38 pm »

The fortress designs on the wiki are for a single level, but the idea is that you can extend that design vertically as much as you want.

They are much too efficient for my tastes. I prefer grand, monolithic construction that completely ignores the natural flow of stone layers and that ignores efficiency. Basically, I want architecture that gives an enraged, drunken finger at everything.  :D

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 07:03:57 pm »

If it weren't for the fact that I already decided want my next serious fortress's central node/residential area to look like a geode with a multi-story dining room/grand hall in the middle and the residences arrayed in a fractal pattern around it in a spherical shape, there's another way I was thinking of doing a dwarven residential district...

Basically, make it look somewhat like the dwarven city in Dragon Age - a big pool of magma as a river running through the middle of town, with all the "houses" on tiered cliffs overlooking the magma river, with "arched" bridges going across the magma river at key points.

Maybe you wouldn't be able to really see it in ASCII form, but it would look spectacular in my mind's eye, and maybe also with visualizers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 07:04:55 pm »

The fortress designs on the wiki are for a single level, but the idea is that you can extend that design vertically as much as you want.

They are much too efficient for my tastes. I prefer grand, monolithic construction that completely ignores the natural flow of stone layers and that ignores efficiency. Basically, I want architecture that gives an enraged, drunken finger at everything.  :D
Exactly. The point of my design is that you can extend pretty much any of the sprawling hallways into a bedroom block, or use any hallway in the bedroom block to extend the fortress. While still keeping things relatively compact.

I do realize any single z-level design can of course take advantage of z-levels if you just build them on top of each other, but it kind of defeats your purpose when you are trying not make the designed symmetrical shaft fortress, and when you try to have the hallways flow naturally also in z-axis instead of having a clear floor structure.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 07:06:26 pm by Cotes »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 07:16:12 pm »

Exactly. The point of my design is that you can extend pretty much any of the sprawling hallways into a bedroom block, or use any hallway in the bedroom block to extend the fortress. While still keeping things relatively compact.

I do realize any single z-level design can of course take advantage of z-levels if you just build them on top of each other, but it kind of defeats your purpose when you are trying not make the designed symmetrical shaft fortress, and when you try to have the hallways flow naturally also in z-axis instead of having a clear floor structure.

But there's an entire section in the wiki on dense multi-z-level bedroom designs...

The 6 room clusters was the design I used in my very first fort.  It's extremely space efficient for a 3-tile bedroom. 

The only real reason I don't do it anymore (other than having already done it once) is that it only allowed for three tile bedrooms, when I later decided I wanted to give my citizens (or at least, my legendaries) larger rooms.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 07:58:21 pm »

If it weren't for the fact that I already decided want my next serious fortress's central node/residential area to look like a geode with a multi-story dining room/grand hall in the middle and the residences arrayed in a fractal pattern around it in a spherical shape, there's another way I was thinking of doing a dwarven residential district...

Basically, make it look somewhat like the dwarven city in Dragon Age - a big pool of magma as a river running through the middle of town, with all the "houses" on tiered cliffs overlooking the magma river, with "arched" bridges going across the magma river at key points.

Maybe you wouldn't be able to really see it in ASCII form, but it would look spectacular in my mind's eye, and maybe also with visualizers.

Dragon Age has an outstanding dwarven city design. Also WoW has very good dwarven cities. The city designs in the two game are nearly identical, the only real difference is that in WoW they are much larger but less overall open space, with cities based on two concentric circles. You have the main forge area in the middle surrounded by buildings carved into walls, much like in Dragon Age, but then outside of that you have another circle with buildings on both sides of that wall.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:38 pm »

I want... a city built into a magma pipe, artificial or natural.  Dwellings dug into the walls, regular dwarven digging, and then magma, with glass bridges (windows for bonus Fun) and in the middle, a hollowed out area containing the workshops.  If needed, the areas could be separated via retracting bridges.

Carrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 08:19:47 pm »

Most of my forts are appalling designs. I start off with good intentions, which usually means overworking at the start, then end up chucking whatever I suddenly need wherever I find a bit of convenient space.

In an attempt at something slightly more aesthetic I've got some two-level bedrooms this time. The top level is accessed by a balcony which overlooks the hall below, with other bedrooms off that. After building that it occured to me that it seems to be a design used in prisons. Well, when the sieges start that's what it'll probably feel like, unless I've thought up some interesting goblin-killer (sadly I've never yet had enough patience to design something really dwarfish).

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 08:21:01 pm »

But there's an entire section in the wiki on dense multi-z-level bedroom designs...

The 6 room clusters was the design I used in my very first fort.  It's extremely space efficient for a 3-tile bedroom. 

The only real reason I don't do it anymore (other than having already done it once) is that it only allowed for three tile bedrooms, when I later decided I wanted to give my citizens (or at least, my legendaries) larger rooms.
Dense and also very much symmetrical and with clear floor structure. Remember I use what I use because while it it gives me some kind of patter to follow when I have to figure out how and where to place the dozens of bedrooms I will need (which would be pretty tiring without any plan), it also can be extended in relatively asymmetrical ways and connected to the rest of the fortress's hallway complex from pretty much any point of it. Including from underneath or top of it - just turn one bedroom into a ramp instead.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 10:54:52 pm »

I tried making a bedroom wing for each profession group once, with this result. Usually, my bedrooms are just one of the 12-bedroom units multiplied by as many z levels as necessary. This leaves plenty of room for statues in the large central zone on each floor, which fits my fortress philosophy well. I can spend hours going through my statue stockpiles selectively forbidding the things in order to place my favorites.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4