Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bad Fort Design?  (Read 12368 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bad Fort Design?
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:38:24 pm »

I always make sucky forts.
square dining room, all that, just not very visually appleasing.
I'm trying to make something that I won't be embarrased to post here.
Progress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How am I doing so far?   :-\

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Fort Design?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »

Better than a lot of mine.
Memento Mori

ililiilliillliii

• Bay Watcher
  • God bless you, astronaut cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:44:55 pm »

I think it's cool.  It looks like some kind of parasite attached to the stream.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:46:12 pm »

I think it's cool.  It looks like some kind of parasite attached to the stream.

I think that's good...? xD

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 02:53:24 pm »

Square dining rooms are bad? Uh oh.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »

Really, the only big thing is to keep the amount of possible entry points low, bedrooms away from workshops and hallways 3 squares wide. The rest is just about how fascistly efficient you want things to be.

I try to keep overlapping industries near each other, but mostly it's just "Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if the main entrance was a tunnel that went right through a volcano?" I just figure out where I want one or two sections of the fort be and the rest will kind of go where it fits. Then you just connect the places with tunnels and build more stuff in the new pockets of unused space that forms.

The downside fun part is that by the end even I won't have a damn clue how the hell the hallway-network is really laid out. Haven't gone back to making perfectly symmetrical modular-forts once I got into the "shit goes where it looks nice or fits" approach. Not that there's anything wrong with other schools of thought, especially with certain type of projects.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 03:07:11 pm »

Looks good to me, but I usually don't dig out any "real" rooms in soil because I can't smooth and engrave soil to make them all fancy. Normally with soil I just dig out huge rooms that get used for stuff like storage of bulky goods like furniture or (now) farm plots, and digging out large areas of soil gives miners rather fast mining practice where stone producing "screw ups" don't happen for inexperienced miners. Then I just dig down to stone and start creating all the rooms that I want to look fancy.

Also, I haven't had any problems with noise from workshops disturbing dwarves and my workshops are usually on an adjacent level. What does cause noise problems is mining, stone smoothing, and engraving on the same level that dwarves are sleeping on (when creating more sleeping quarters or fancying them up). So far I just ignore their grumbling and have enough other stuff (like mastercraft booze) to keep them happy.

Somewhere I read that dwarves need to sleep 7 levels under where trees are being felled to avoid the noise, but I haven't found that to be true. So far I *think* noise isn't really transiting z-levels, or at least workshops aren't making much noise or trees don't need 7 levels of separation....

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 03:08:27 pm »

Looks good to me, but I usually don't dig out any "real" rooms in soil because I can't smooth and engrave soil to make them all fancy. Normally with soil I just dig out huge rooms that get used for stuff like storage of bulky goods like furniture or (now) farm plots, and digging out large areas of soil gives miners rather fast mining practice where stone producing "screw ups" don't happen for inexperienced miners. Then I just dig down to stone and start creating all the rooms that I want to look fancy.

Also, I haven't had any problems with noise from workshops disturbing dwarves and my workshops are usually on an adjacent level. What does cause noise problems is mining, stone smoothing, and engraving on the same level that dwarves are sleeping on (when creating more sleeping quarters or fancying them up). So far I just ignore their grumbling and have enough other stuff (like mastercraft booze) to keep them happy.

Somewhere I read that dwarves need to sleep 7 levels under where trees are being felled to avoid the noise, but I haven't found that to be true. So far I *think* noise isn't really transiting z-levels, or at least workshops aren't making much noise or trees don't need 7 levels of separation....

But I lurve soil.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 03:18:57 pm »

Well, you can always build walls and floors to fancy up soil rooms if you need to, but then you can't do engravings. I don't get why you can't engrave constructed walls....

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 03:46:12 pm »

Looks nice, but you will run into traffic problems later on. I find that I need 4 tile wide corridors to handle large amounts of traffic in a mature fortress. 1 tile wide corridors won't cut it unless they're for places dwarves very rarely go, and then only in small numbers, like to pull a lever.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 04:05:18 pm »

Jingles likes one tile wide corridors for their inefficiency and clausterrific elements.

*Its even more fun when they are tangled together like spaghetti.  Hmm, I think I should make a fortress with this theme...

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 04:11:40 pm »

Really, the only big thing is to keep the amount of possible entry points low, bedrooms away from workshops..

FYI, workshops don't make noise.
Building them does, using them doesn't.
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 04:27:53 pm »

Try asking yourself, "What can vertical forts can do for YOU?"

Generally, trying to make things stacked vertically can often make it easier to cram plenty of things into a smaller overall area.  Those little dangling bedrooms?  Look how far the bedrooms on the ends of the halls are from the doorway.  Take a look here on the wiki for some good ways to throw down some residential structures. 

Remember, you can designate a whole slew of rooms, but hold off on designating the stairs to get to them to allow you to mark on your map where the digging will take place, but hold off on actually sending your miners there to dig them out until you have either the demand for the extra rooms, or nothing better to do.

Noise really doesn't work right.

Workshops do not cause noise.  At all.  A hauler can fall asleep in the forge, and won't wake up while the smith makes a new set of platemail two feet from his head.

Placing furniture, however, causes tremendous amounts of noise, that can wake up dwarves after just two or three pieces of furniture being moved, and affects everything within a 33-tile cube centered on the piece of furniture you place, which typically means furnishing a residential room with a door and a bed is what causes the most noise, and has pretty much been the only things that ever wakes a dwarf up in my experience.  Hence, the noisiest areas that are worst to sleep in are residential areas, while the industrial areas are the quietest.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 04:35:46 pm »

Those are workshops...

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »

learn to LOVE the ugly fort.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4