Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: laptop settings  (Read 1165 times)

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
laptop settings
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:54:31 pm »

hello, im new to dwarf fortress and to the forums
i have a laptop computer and i cant configure DF to work
the first problem is graphical, i cant get the game window to fit in the screen and sometimes it is only on the upper half of the screen. this happened after i tryed changing the init.txt

this is my init:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the second problem is whit the keyboard as it doesnt have the numpad so the "+-*/" dont work so i cant use the custom embark or navigate the menus

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: laptop settings
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 01:04:03 pm »

Yes, your laptop probably does have a numpad if you have a function button.

[WINDOWED:NO]   <--you may want to change the FULLSCREENX/Y to something larger

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:11:19 pm »

and it doesnt run on fullscreen, it says: mode switch failed/running in windowed mode

Bobinater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:25:21 pm »

I used to have the fullscreen mode problem myself with that exact same message but I sadly don't remember how I fixed it.

However as for your + and - problem the + and minus keys on the top right of your computer should work fine, however + is mapped on the same key as = so you have to hold shift first, this can get annoying so I recommend going to the key bindings in the Esc menu and changing 'move secondary curser up' from + to =.  If you have any other key troubles you can remap them in the key binding window. 

Also keep in mind that in the newest version .31.19 that it may already have all your embark points distributed I spent 15 minutes at the screen trying to give people points in skills and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't go up.