Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clay oddness  (Read 1531 times)

gSamp108

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clay oddness
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:49:03 am »

So it seems the rocks produced from collect clay jobs can be used in making rock crafts but don't seem to work correctly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also clay seems to be exhaustible as I'm now getting constant "cancels collect clay: clay vanished" messages but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell how much clay there is in a tile or if a tile is empty other than this message.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Clay oddness
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:54:43 am »

Also clay seems to be exhaustible as I'm now getting constant "cancels collect clay: clay vanished" messages but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell how much clay there is in a tile or if a tile is empty other than this message.

The tile eventually gets grown over with grass. The solution: place the clay-collection zone on a stair dug into the clay.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 01:08:33 pm »

Alternatively, make your clay collection zones pastures. The grazers will eat the grass and leave the clay under them.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:02 pm »

Wow, dwarves are so stupid that they can't figure out that clay is under the grass :P

Must be some very dense vegitation in DF.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:11:17 pm »

Wow, dwarves are so stupid that they can't figure out that clay is under the grass :P

Must be some very dense vegitation in DF.

No, they're just fekking lazy.

Red Cossack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:33:06 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised to see more dedicated sand and/or clay quarries (maybe gravel or others added) down the road.  Would reduce the congestion in your kilns and glass furnaces.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:13 am »

I like the idea about digging stairs into the clay, that makes good sense for a clay pit
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.