Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning.  (Read 553 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Cleaning.
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:33:57 am »

Well, in all my DF time I don't think I've ever seem a dorf actually do cleaning. In my current fort a slight plumbing accident led to a waterfall running down the central stairs. Now, nothing bad about that, nobody got hurt and plenty of people were happy for the mist. The problem stems from the fact the the dorf who caused said accident was coated in grime and rhesus macaque blood. So I now have blood streaked all the way down the stairs. Do they ever actually clean?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:48:31 am »

They do clean - I have a team doing quite a bit of cleaning at the moment. You need to let them idle with only cleaning enabled as a job, and then they'll do it.

The alternative where applicable is to construct a floor over the dirty tile - it'll erase whatever dirt is on the tile. Useful for clearing away dangerous FB extract smears instead of having to wait for cleaners...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:50:39 am »

I find that my broker likes to clean whenever I set Trader Needed at Depot. :P

But seriously, I've had some marginal success with the wiki's suggestion, which is to assign a dwarf to a small burrow around where you want them to clean, and disable all their duties except for Cleaning.  Sometimes they just don't seem to want to do it, though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:00:54 am by obeliab »

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:03:20 pm »

I seem to recall that dwarves prefer to clean buildings and constructions. I had an old .18 fort that world regularly get kobold thieves. My quick response military would often slaughter them on a bridge (I had in inside moat and 4 10-tile long bridges), and then a group of dwarves would clean the blood off the bridge fairly quickly. I'm not sure how smoothed and engraved stone wall do, though.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:36:03 pm »

WALLS never get cleaned on purpose. In fact, they can only be cleaned by being adjacent to a floor tile that gets cleaned. If you have blood stained walls but clean floors? No hope of the dwarven janitors ever cleaning the walls. I suppose they like the coloring on the wall.

If it bothers you having bloody walls and clean floors, use DFHack to remove all the blood.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:49:30 pm »

Instead of building a floor you might try building a dirt road.  It's faster but it can only be done on soil/sand/clay/loam.