Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: FantasyScape - The new Minecraft?  (Read 16129 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: FantasyScape - The new Minecraft?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 07:03:39 pm »

What can you do with mechanisms in DF that you can't do with Redstone?

Maybe not much, but in a 3d nicely visual environment it would be nice to be able to build things axles or something to handle opening huge castle doors or giant crushing traps.  Making things more interactive would make minecraft quite a bit more fun in my opinion. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »

* Pump fluids.

* Design and build floodgates. (You can open/close doors, but they still block fluids when they're open. They're also restricted to being built near walls and being 1x1x2, so you're limited in what you could build even if they didn't block fluids.)

...actually, that speaks just as much to the oddness of Minecraft fluids. Still, the second point is an especially glaring omission.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 07:06:11 pm »

Water cannons by using high pressure pumps, then releasing a flood gate.  You can make cannons with Redstone and TNT, which is cool, but no automatic doors (that work more than once).

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 07:06:20 pm »

Quite a lot actually. and Redstone is a bit too complex for the average player to get much enjoyment out of - mechanisms in DF take out a whole lot of the extra logic bits on the players side.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 07:18:51 pm »

I suppose when I think about it, I see that fluids in Minecraft are weird to start with (one of the reasons that the video posted was intriguing) and a lot of the best DF engineering relies on fluid logic, and that there isn't a whole lot of stuff to attach parts to. And the dearth of "stuff to interact with" is my second biggest complaint with Minecraft- really, its a subset of the "not enough like DF" complaint.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 07:23:13 pm »

Funny how a game that works H20 differently can make such a massive difference in its potential.  Of course, we haven't heard his policies on Mobs, Raids, Trading, etc.

I DID hear him mention a river that flows the whole map.  And it's not endless...  so perhaps each "world" will be the size of a Dwarf Fortress embark?  We "are the dwar[ves]" in his game, after all...  Can't wait to stop my first siege!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 07:53:46 pm »

Speaking of Minecraft/DF cloning - can you believe the hutzpah of the guy releasing 'FortressCraft' on XBLA? It is, in the currently planned release, a $1 clone of minecraft with shiny graphics for the ADD crowd on the Xbox. There are literally no distinguishing features, except promises that later $1 chapters will be different. I can totally get behind doing a free game that takes things from MC and improves on them - I totally support that open source MC clone in the works - but this guy is trying to make money off of it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 08:07:35 pm »

Looks interesting, but it's obviously still very early in development. I'm forced to wonder if he'll really stick it out and turn it into a full, playable game.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 08:09:01 pm »

Yeah. I won't get my hopes up until he has something playable to show. Lots of games get started and then die without really going anywhere major.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »

Fantascape? Just two letters off and you've got a whole 'nuther game.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:39 pm »

poca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:33 am »

This guy would have done well to read all the water suggestions at minecraftforum.net; but, as testified by all the identical threads, its search engine is crap because of the idiotic timeout between searches. Here is a Google search of the water suggestion threads:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Aminecraftforum.net++inurl%3Af%3D1+%2Bwater+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Mystify posted both a volumized water suggestion and a link to a java game where he implemented his idea. You can read about it here:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15523

I enjoyed watching the wave spread out across the water in the end when his FPS dropped. As neat as that was, Minecraft can only run a volume simulation on the water stored in the currently loaded chunks so as you move away from them you're going to see the game lag as the unloaded water tries to equalize itself with the water that was loaded so you're going to see ghost "tsunamis" every time new chunk(s) are loaded and that would really slow down exploring.

I also really laughed at the idea of seeing people digging up from a cave to get out and putting a single hole under an ocean. His video showed his simulator lagging only with a disc shaped area (~ r^2) of simulation but I suspect that a spherical area (~r^3) with similar radius would have stopped his sim dead in its tracks but that is only going to happen if his water isn't looking first at the block above and taking water from the surface if the block above is water.

In fact, this very subject was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to play around with DF but I think DF would need a really long time to figure out what happened after someone dug a hole on the bottom of the ocean.

Finally, I wanted to speculate that if Notch is ever going to rework Minecraft's water, it will probably be sometime soon. Notch finished an advaned diving course and that inspired him to think about more diverse aquatic life and so I don't think it is insane to hope he will think about their environment as well. Of course, I'm probably reading too much into this:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/3095374159/notch-is-still-out-of-the-building

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 06:44:43 pm »

Perhaps, but if we could get a download to FantasyScape, then they would have beaten Notch to the finish line.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 06:50:47 pm »

It's probably worth bringing up this:
http://www.moddb.com/games/liquid-cubed

It's more of a tech demo than it is a game, but it's actually functional.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 09:23:18 pm »

In fact, this very subject was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to play around with DF but I think DF would need a really long time to figure out what happened after someone dug a hole on the bottom of the ocean.

The water starts teleporting from the surface of the ocean down to the empty space below it - it would rapidly drain into the hole, filling any empty space below the ocean until it was full. The water doesn't flow through the ocean from top to bottom and into the empty space like a real body of water would, it teleports in 7/7 blocks from the top to an available destination when there is sufficient pressure.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8