Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: FantasyScape - The new Minecraft?  (Read 16146 times)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FantasyScape - The new Minecraft?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 11:47:38 am »

50/50 you bring the guy here just in time for someone to start being accusatory?
Personally, I see nothing wrong with what he's done so far.
...So, I'm hoping that at least we can be civil about this.

Like a proper way to make water for starters... and arts for his now fugly graphics.
I quite agree, but I myself am actually willing to try and work on some textures. I've never done texturing before, but that's not the point.
I'm also thinking that perhaps the water blocks shouldn't be handled as solid at all, and should have their own special case for everything. Including rendering. (Perhaps even moving onto translucent water?)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 01:18:01 pm »

Minecraft stole the block layout from infiniminer.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 01:29:22 pm »

Minecraft stole the block layout from infiniminer.

Which stole it from Megablocks which stole it from Lego which stole it from Pythagoras which stole it from Geometry as a whole which stole it from...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 01:45:32 pm »

I'm disappointed with Notch for stopping citing Dwarf Fortress as one of its influences after becaming rich and famous.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 01:51:28 pm »

Minecraft thread is this way.

I'm hoping the next stage here is to make a working screw pump. I'd love to see that in action.
(Imagine the mega projects!)
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 01:52:44 pm »

Interesting to see where this goes. My biggest complaints with Minecraft tend to boil down to "It's not enough like DF" so hopefully this guy ends up going in a direction closer to what I would have made Minecraft.

I was hoping he would drain an entire pool into a pit like he was making a DF well, although from what I saw there didn't appear to be anything preventing that.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 01:58:06 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is a game where you build fortresses by mining out blocks.  Minecraft is a game where you build fortresses by mining out blocks.
FPSs are games where you kill things to further the plot. RPGs are games where you kill things to further the plot. See where I'm getting with this?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 02:41:13 pm »

I wish he will go for DFlike combat. With tissues, bones, organs and stuff...

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 03:01:20 pm »

Hmm, this is one thing I hope he doesn't copy...  with multiple players, that could be very unsightly.  I'm hoping for more slapstick combat, but more involved than Minecraft.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:17 pm »

I'd like to see a bigger AI aspect to this game than Minecraft has. More like DF, where you get goblin attacks and the like. It's all well and good to build castles in Minecraft, but they don't really mean much. It's just another building. In Dwarf Fortress you fortress and how it's designed is actually really important, and I think it adds a lot to the game.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 03:34:33 pm »

I'd like to see a bigger AI aspect to this game than Minecraft has. More like DF, where you get goblin attacks and the like. It's all well and good to build castles in Minecraft, but they don't really mean much. It's just another building. In Dwarf Fortress you fortress and how it's designed is actually really important, and I think it adds a lot to the game.

Indeed. In Minecraft my projects are monuments in defiance of uncaring gods. In DF they're a necessary aspect of survival, and even the purely aesthetic megaprojects are a big showoff to foes and friends.

Not to mention that the lack of organized resistance makes the mobs in Minecraft really easy to avoid.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 04:05:14 pm »

Perhaps not to such an extreme (whatever's managable for him), but I would like to see a complex health and combat system as well. Minecraft feels too simplistic for me to enjoy once I've seen everything I can craft.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 06:47:17 pm »

I tried bringing this up before, but didn't really get much response.

What about Mechanics? I love DF for the fact is has levers, floodgates, pump stacks and bridges.
I'd love to see if and how that sort of thing would be handled in a 3d environment.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 06:58:43 pm »

I tried bringing this up before, but didn't really get much response.

What about Mechanics? I love DF for the fact is has levers, floodgates, pump stacks and bridges.
I'd love to see if and how that sort of thing would be handled in a 3d environment.

This is what I personally want from minecraft.  I can make a nice castle and such, but I can't build much in terms of interesting machines. 

If FantasyScape improves on this, then all the power to em.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 06:59:50 pm »

What can you do with mechanisms in DF that you can't do with Redstone?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8