Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Ore?  (Read 1094 times)

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
No Ore?
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:44 am »

Just started a new Fortress in 31.19, and am totally loving the new features. But after diggin extensively i have discovered that there are no metals. At all. Maybe i might be digging in the wrong place, but so far i have found not a single trace of ore.

Also for some reason my dwarves arnt stacking food into barrels the way they usually do. I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem, and if there is a work around?
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: No Ore?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:48:11 am »

Find the 'Missing Metals' discussion or another like it for all the information.
Basically, a read out like 'shallow metal' will only give you one metal in .19. 'shallow metalS' will give you two. These metals can include some rock veins as well. Mostly it is just luck of the draw in which metal you get.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:20:57 am »

It just seems odd. I just did a random embark. In every other fort in 31 i have had a massive over-abundance of metals. This is absurd.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:55:24 am »

Also has anyone else had the problems with dwarves not using barrels properly in this edition?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 05:15:26 am »

Also has anyone else had the problems with dwarves not using barrels properly in this edition?

I take it you haven't read many of the other threads about .19 yet?  Yeah, everyone has seen that stuff already :)

And the ore thing will be tweaked a bit, though you're not likely to see .18 levels of ore any time soon, unless you muck with worldgen in future versions a lot.

Also, if you make any nest boxes, wild animals will head directly for them.  This includes things like cave crocodiles and elk birds.  You have been warned, so use cage traps wisely.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 05:48:11 am »

Hahahahaha. Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Appreciate the help. I actually looked for some of the problems before, but just couldnt find the right query for it on the search.

Cheers guys.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 05:49:51 am »

Welcome to .19!

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:24 am »

This reminds me of my first .19 embark. I didn't know the ores feature that time, so I though that 'Deep Metal' would be just OK. 

As I dug down, I found some gold. Yay, nice gold to make things for trade of, I though! However, when I tried finding something else, I surprisingly failed. There were TONS of gold, multiple levels of rich veins, enough to make every barrel and bin of and buy full caravans, but nothing else to forge armor and weapons of. That's how it was, before I started reading the forum and found the thread about metals in top, because the matter concerned many of the users.