Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a crash fix...?  (Read 839 times)

Reiven

• Bay Watcher
  • Taken by a fey mood...
    • View Profile
Looking for a crash fix...?
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:15:52 am »

I did in fact report this as a bug because it's happened so often... but I was wondering if anyone else had a quick fix.

Oh no! It's an Ambush! Curse them!

Gearing dwarves, setting the alert to pull in all my civs, making sure there's no holes in my defenses while my military gets up the stairway...  Everyone's in, Gobs are on the next z level down... first of the squads are upstairs now, some still toting the goods they were going to store in the pile.  Pull the lever!  The bridge isn't moving... crap... forgot to make it a DRAW bridge.  So the Gobs have a clear shot at me now... Squads are up, check their inventory to see who's wielding what weapons and determine if they'll die or not.  They're in mismatched iron and leather armor, not bad.  Axeman and another with a pick... I suppose that's ok.  What's he got... CRASH!

Dwarf Fortress has stopped working.
Windows is attempting to fix the problem.
The program has ended.

Uh? Great... no ambush...

So I've had this happening for two days now.  I tried one work around which said to get rid of the folder, copy your saves and completely reinstall the game.  It worked for a day...  and i'm crashing again.

I owe the crashes for saving me from multiple ambushes... a murdered mother and orphaned infant... a section of collapsed cavern that maimed five miners... and now the information that my bridge is not in fact a drawbridge...

...but they really are getting annoying.

Any ideas?
So the Dwarf was out chopping down a tree with her baby...

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a crash fix...?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:27:39 am »

Are you ordering the dwarves to kill the invaders?

There's currently a bug that causes a crash if you have a kill order set on anything that leaves the map.  This includes ambushers that turn and run.  At the moment, the best bet is to use the station command near the enemy instead of the kill command.