Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help Me Beta Test ASCII Chess!  (Read 7155 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Help Me Beta Test ASCII Chess!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 05:57:39 am »

You say Bugfix... but I still have the Castling bug.

EDIT: Good news and bad news. Good news is, it now works. Bad news is, I've found a glitch with Castling. Here's what I did.

1. Selected the King
2. Moved the cursor two spaces to the right, so it's next to the Rook
3. Pressed Shift
4. ERROR MESSAGE.

The error is "asciichess v1.1b.exe has encountered an error and needs to close".
You know what the error was? My program literally divided by zero. Also, that's not how castling works. The King only moves one square left or right.

Version 1.1.01b
  • Bug Fixed! Yes, just one.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:02:44 am by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:39:43 am »

You know what the error was? My program literally divided by zero. Also, that's not how castling works. The King only moves one square left or right.
And if you only want to move the king left or right instead of castling?

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 07:04:58 am »

Here, have some rules on Castling.

Because I've made a move which the game said was Castling, but I know it to be an illegal move.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31:24 am »

Oh gods I love you. DL'ing now.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 01:14:48 pm »

"C:\Users\Owner\Games\Video Games\asciichess v1.1.01b\ASCII Chess\MSVCR100.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact" etc etc.

Immediately following that is the default Windows Error Message.

I'm running on Vista

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 03:44:23 pm »

Here, have some rules on Castling.

Because I've made a move which the game said was Castling, but I know it to be an illegal move.
I'll never get my info on any subject from not-Wikipedia again. Could have sworn it was one space, not two... I'll fix that for the next release.
And if you only want to move the king left or right instead of castling?
SHIFT castles, ENTER just moves the selected piece like any other move.
"C:\Users\Owner\Games\Video Games\asciichess v1.1.01b\ASCII Chess\MSVCR100.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact" etc etc.

Immediately following that is the default Windows Error Message.

I'm running on Vista
*Standard "Well there's you problem" Joke About Vista Here*

Windows Vista comes in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. I put that .dll in there for XP, so it's for 32-bit. I'm guessing you're running the 64-bit version. Try deleting it and installing this.

EDIT:
Version 1.1.02
  • Fixed Castling Bug
  • *Probably* Fixed .dll issue on some operating systems
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 04:29:52 pm by Gatleos »
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »

In no particular order...

BUG: The wrong color starts the game. White (the side with the queen on a white tile, default Red Player 2) should start.

BUG: A king's side castle currently moves the rook a space too far.

I'd throw in a unique text for en passant, just so folks who aren't aware of the rule know what just happened.

It'd be nice if there was a warning for when a king is put in check.

BUG: Just moved a knight onto the kings space, and before victory was declared the game allowed me to promote the unit as though it were a pawn.

^RELATED: Just moved a knight onto the opponents king space (no king present) and was offered a chance to promote. I declined, and next turn moved a pawn forward a space (Bishop 4) and was offered teh chance to promote the random pawn. After further testing, it appears that selecting the pawn on the opposite side of the board, deselecting it, and then moving any other pawn offers a chance for the second pawn to be promoted.

^RELATED?: As red, moved the rightmost rook left one space to take a blue rook. Was offered chance to promote.

BUG: Any piece on a kings starting position gives text allowing the option to castle. Was not able to castle in limited testing.

It would be amusing if units wore more than one bishops hat if they killed multiple bishops. Perhaps having them wear a Pope Hat instead if they kill 2, and a Pope Hat on top of a bishops hat if they kill 3 would be an interesting Easter Egg.

Whee bughunting!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 06:35:13 pm »

BUG: The wrong color starts the game. White (the side with the queen on a white tile, default Red Player 2) should start.
Yeah, I noticed that. I can just switch it around for next release.
Was that on player 1's side, or player 2?
I'd throw in a unique text for en passant, just so folks who aren't aware of the rule know what just happened.
There's a rather large bug I found while trying to add this, so I'll have it soon.
It'd be nice if there was a warning for when a king is put in check.
The game doesn't recognize check, checkmate, or stalemate as per standard chess rules yet. I'm working on adding it in, but right now the only game-ending condition is when the King is actually captured.
BUG: Just moved a knight onto the kings space, and before victory was declared the game allowed me to promote the unit as though it were a pawn.
Fixed, see below.
^RELATED: Just moved a knight onto the opponents king space (no king present) and was offered a chance to promote. I declined, and next turn moved a pawn forward a space (Bishop 4) and was offered teh chance to promote the random pawn. After further testing, it appears that selecting the pawn on the opposite side of the board, deselecting it, and then moving any other pawn offers a chance for the second pawn to be promoted.
I think the below bugfix solved this too.
^RELATED?: As red, moved the rightmost rook left one space to take a blue rook. Was offered chance to promote.
I fixed that bug a while back... but it turns out I only fixed it for player 1. It's fixed for both now.
BUG: Any piece on a kings starting position gives text allowing the option to castle. Was not able to castle in limited testing.
Fixed! Yes, the message prompting you to castle is separate from the ability to castle. So you can still only castle with the King selected.
It would be amusing if units wore more than one bishops hat if they killed multiple bishops. Perhaps having them wear a Pope Hat instead if they kill 2, and a Pope Hat on top of a bishops hat if they kill 3 would be an interesting Easter Egg.
That's a good idea...
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »

Bah, should have written that down. I'm pretty sure I did it as Red and didn't test to see if Blue was in a similar situation.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 09:32:19 pm »

Bah, should have written that down. I'm pretty sure I did it as Red and didn't test to see if Blue was in a similar situation.
Never mind, I caught and fixed it.

Version 1.2
  • Fixed all the bugs Monk found
  • Special message for en passant
  • In-game controls reference in pause menu
  • Multiple bishop hats!
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:25 pm »

Don't have the time to test this, but make sure the king/castling rook can't move out of position then back in to position and still castle.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 [2]