Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: My Daughter's Name For Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24418 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: My Daughter's Name For Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2011, 07:27:50 pm »

I started playing Nethack when I was 9.  He has ample opportunity to do better.

"Son, I had ascended three times as a freakin' tourist by the time I was your age. I am disappoint. Now go to your room and don't come back  out until you're the Hand of your deity and have a -30 or better armor class."

Damn straight!   :D

Actually I've never beaten Nethack.... or any roguelike, for that matter...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2011, 08:14:19 pm »

So long as you lose with style, you're still doing okay. Remember, Losing is Fun!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2011, 09:02:51 pm »

My sister (12) also calls it Dorfs, my step-dad plays it when she's at the folk's house and I play it when she's here. I have NO idea if she's any good or not, but considering her mad skills with other games, I'd say it's only a matter of time before she's melting kittens in magma. (She cackles maniacally whenever the wholesale slaughter of kittens is mentioned so...)
Why is this covered in blood?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2011, 10:49:16 pm »

My sister (12) also calls it Dorfs, my step-dad plays it when she's at the folk's house and I play it when she's here. I have NO idea if she's any good or not, but considering her mad skills with other games, I'd say it's only a matter of time before she's melting kittens in magma. (She cackles maniacally whenever the wholesale slaughter of kittens is mentioned so...)

You sir (or madame?), have a delightfully evil sister.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2011, 02:18:18 am »

I have a nephew she should hang out with.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2011, 08:09:37 am »

I showed my dad the dwarfputer and that got him interested in the game, as he is a fluid dynamics engineer
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2011, 03:20:56 am »

A friends kid calls it beardland for some reason and is trying to get into it but she being five she needs her dad to read things to her and he doesn't have a clue what's going on so it usually leads to the wee one getting annoyed at the little beardies.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2011, 07:13:41 am »

A friends kid calls it beardland for some reason and is trying to get into it but she being five she needs her dad to read things to her and he doesn't have a clue what's going on so it usually leads to the wee one getting annoyed at the little beardies.
I'm nearly forty and the same applies :)
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2011, 07:29:10 am »

no one practically knows i play it..
Desu

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2011, 08:26:27 am »

My better half calls it the "kabouterspelletje" or Little Gnome Game.

I've not shown it to my 2 yr old daughter, yet. It's just too gruesome, and she's already psycho.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2011, 12:20:50 pm »

What, my two year old loves it. It's not impacted her psychosis one bit, except added the word "Titan" to her vocabulary for storytelling purposes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2011, 04:50:40 pm »

Dude, there are so many times I'd wished I'd known words like "titan" when I was little.  There's only so many times you can say "really big thing".  Even in the most colorful of language, "really big thing" is still exactly what you're saying.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2011, 12:06:17 pm »

What, my two year old loves it. It's not impacted her psychosis one bit, except added the word "Titan" to her vocabulary for storytelling purposes.
When she gets to storytelling at school, you'll going to have some fun when the teachers calls you for a "chat"

"It's about little MinimumZero's stories.  They're, erm, how can I put this, a bit graphic?"
"How so?"
"Well, the class were asked to write a story about fairies.  She wrote about catching them in traps, and then selling them to some elves..."
"Well, maybe she's a capitalist..."
"...and then killing the elves and stealing all of their goods.  And then killing some goblins using the severed arms of the elves..."
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2011, 01:05:56 pm »

She already knows (and uses properly) the words, "Aggravated", "Transparent", and "Monolithic". Next up, "Defenestrate".

Oh, and she often tells stories of going to the store and finding faeries/demons/unicorns/dragons(her favorite)/titans/giants/gnomes/goblins/etc amongst the toys and cheeses. Last night, we had the following conversation:

Her: "Had bad dream. I scared."
Me: "What was the dream about?"
Her: "Unicorns. They chase me. Try eat my face."
Me: "O..kay, what did you do?"
Her: "I punch them. Sleep now."

And she promptly went back to sleep. WTF, childhood?

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2011, 01:08:37 pm »

...I pray my children will be as dwarfy as yours.
Why is this covered in blood?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13