Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: My Daughter's Name For Dwarf Fortress  (Read 24428 times)

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Daughter's Name For Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2011, 09:40:47 am »

My daughter adores any of the animals that have a stuffed counterpart in her life. So the yellow capital L is officially Licky Leopard and by her reckoning has become Licky Leopard. This represents a slight change in how I play as I need to keep the welfare of the stuffed animal buddies in mind instead of just herding them into the Grind-Core and jacking my FPS a click or two. We also get to confront the specter of death when my dwarves mash goblins into gooey-chunks. She raises the question of what exactly the goblins are so motivated by that they keep attacking over and over again. Hopefully we'll figure that out by DF1.0, of course by that time she'll probably be in college.
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2011, 09:49:55 am »

My daughter adores any of the animals that have a stuffed counterpart in her life. So the yellow capital L is officially Licky Leopard and by her reckoning has become Licky Leopard. This represents a slight change in how I play as I need to keep the welfare of the stuffed animal buddies in mind instead of just herding them into the Grind-Core and jacking my FPS a click or two. We also get to confront the specter of death when my dwarves mash goblins into gooey-chunks. She raises the question of what exactly the goblins are so motivated by that they keep attacking over and over again. Hopefully we'll figure that out by DF1.0, of course by that time she'll probably be in college.

Or a great-grandparent. Just sayin'. DF's a big project.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2011, 10:58:37 am »

They are motivated by the desire to keep the player entertained by giving him something to blow to gooey chunks.

It's just like those critters that will jump into a bottomless pit just as you are trying to make the jump across that pit hoping to collide with you and take you down with them in a platformer.  They don't have any intention of living, they just exist to hope you'll get unlucky in a roll and they can maybe stab something you love before getting exploded into gooey chunks since their life is just that thoroughly devalued.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2011, 11:10:52 am »

Or a great-grandparent. Just sayin'. DF's a big project.

"Over a thousand years ago our great ancestors began developing a very primitive prototype... "
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:12:36 am by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2011, 12:04:03 pm »

My recently ex girlfreind used to watch me play all the time and she would comment on how nerdy i was, and then beg me not to slaughter every cat in the fortress.  good times :D
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2011, 01:08:47 pm »

They are motivated by the desire to keep the player entertained by giving him something to blow to gooey chunks.

It's just like those critters that will jump into a bottomless pit just as you are trying to make the jump across that pit hoping to collide with you and take you down with them in a platformer.  They don't have any intention of living, they just exist to hope you'll get unlucky in a roll and they can maybe stab something you love before getting exploded into gooey chunks since their life is just that thoroughly devalued.

I take a more meta approach. The goblins want what you have, because you have it and they don't. Thus, they come to steal it from you. (Daughter understands possessions and shoplifting perfectly well, and attempts to shoplift whenever she knows no one is looking. She has been successful several times.  :-[) Because they are trying to steal, they must be punished.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2011, 01:58:11 pm »

i tried to have my gf play this but she always ends up spending ages on actually designing something, and then get bored of it before its finished... she never played a fortress for more then a few hours and "doesn't get the point" to play it longer periods at a time

:'( im hoping one day shell get a strange mood and start playing one fortress for a while untill she finishes what she wanted to do

but then again she might go insane if there's no shell in the house

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2011, 02:06:05 pm »

If she does go insane, and you have to put her down, you won't be missing out on much.

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2011, 02:56:05 pm »

If she does go insane, and you have to put her down, you won't be missing out on much.

Besides you'll have more time to play DF right?  8)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2011, 07:24:07 pm »

Did you embark with some turtles, just in case?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:20 pm »

Don't turtles that you get from merchants and embark not have shells anymore?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2011, 09:43:02 pm »

But won't a new one show up next season? :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2011, 11:15:47 pm »

I occasionally babble to the other members of the house about the antics of my current fortress. 

...My mom has apparently decided that she would like to play, entirely on her own volition, despite my warning about the learning cliff.  Pretty awesome.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2011, 11:20:08 pm »

Did you also warn her of the gore, insanity, and kitten-slaughter?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2011, 11:21:03 pm »

But won't a new one show up next season? :D

Yes, but she's likely to be an epic lye maker or something similarly helpful.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13