Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Luring Goblin Bowmen?  (Read 1006 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Luring Goblin Bowmen?
« on: February 22, 2011, 11:37:36 pm »

So I have a Siege going on. Most of the goblins have blithely walked into my cages, but a few (five or so) have been loitering around near my stairs. If they were meleers, I would just extend my oh-shit burrow into their field of vision, but they're bowmen, and after an incident with an ambush of crossbowmen I am not going to risk any more of my dwarves.

So.

Any other ways to make them come hither?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: Luring Goblin Bowmen?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:35 pm »

So I have a Siege going on. Most of the goblins have blithely walked into my cages, but a few (five or so) have been loitering around near my stairs. If they were meleers, I would just extend my oh-shit burrow into their field of vision, but they're bowmen, and after an incident with an ambush of crossbowmen I am not going to risk any more of my dwarves.

So.

sacrificial lamb. With dual shields.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:02:41 am »

So.

What about merchants on their way out? I do have some dwarven merchants ready to leave, they might be somewhat useful if less under my control.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 12:03:34 am »

So.

What about merchants on their way out? I do have some dwarven merchants ready to leave, they might be somewhat useful if less under my control.

Do the merchants have guards? If not then they could lead the archers farther away from your cages. At least, that's been my experience.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:16:31 am »

So.

Do the merchants have guards? If not then they could lead the archers farther away from your cages. At least, that's been my experience.

Definitely got guards.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:42:33 am »

So.

Build a chain out of their aggro range but within pathing. Put a critter on the chain. They'll come to shoot it.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:49:30 am »

So.

Build a chain out of their aggro range but within pathing. Put a critter on the chain. They'll come to shoot it.
Mmm. Might work! -goes to get a sacrificial lamb... or maybe a kitten...-

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:52:26 am »

Mmm. Might work! -goes to get a sacrificial lamb... or maybe a kitten...-

If someone would just create a mod that lets you chain pets, or children, this game would be perfect.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 12:54:10 am »

Oop, nevermind, dwarven caraven guards went and finished the three gobbos still loitering around, good-bye siege, that was boring.

... are they going to siege me again?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:22:34 am »

Yes. Again. And again. AND AGAIN. >:D
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.