Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Above-ground Dwarves  (Read 2841 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Above-ground Dwarves
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 06:50:30 am »

The keep is also a good place to store your finished goods, precious metals and gems; if it's built to keep out sieges then it ought to be a simple matter to secure it against the odd would-be burglar.
In fact, you might do well to site most of your forges there as well, along with a good stock of metal and fuel. Between that and the probably quite large number of dwarves with nothing else to do, you can be cranking out iron and copper bolts and stacking them in the ammunition stockpile on the ramparts nearly as fast as the militia can rain them down on the goblins.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 06:53:03 am »

The keep is also a good place to store your finished goods, precious metals and gems; if it's built to keep out sieges then it ought to be a simple matter to secure it against the odd would-be burglar.
In fact, you might do well to site most of your forges there as well, along with a good stock of metal and fuel. Between that and the probably quite large number of dwarves with nothing else to do, you can be cranking out iron and copper bolts and stacking them in the ammunition stockpile on the ramparts nearly as fast as the militia can rain them down on the goblins.
More goods they steal from you = more goblinite ore will arrive next year!
Finis sanctificat media.

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 07:07:51 am »

I would enjoy above-ground forts much more if it didn't take so friggen long to make a building from scratch. I mean, it's easy to get the materials for building them, but designating each wall is tedious. And then the dorfs decide to be stupid and get themselves trapped, or leave out a corner piece.... Arrgh. Too much Fun for me. It would also be nice if we could use some easy to get thatching for the roof instead of straight wood or stone.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 07:14:06 am »

The trouble with goblinite is that you've got to get the buggers to let go of it first, which can be an uphill struggle when you're still making do with leather armour, wooden shields and crossbow bolts and whatever you've been able to buy off the caravans. Besides, didn't they start coming with mostly leather armour now?

I would enjoy above-ground forts much more if it didn't take so friggen long to make a building from scratch. I mean, it's easy to get the materials for building them, but designating each wall is tedious. And then the dorfs decide to be stupid and get themselves trapped, or leave out a corner piece.... Arrgh. Too much Fun for me. It would also be nice if we could use some easy to get thatching for the roof instead of straight wood or stone.
Thatch is definitely on the to-do list, and it's not that bad if you don't try to build anything huge all in one go.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:46 am »

The trouble with goblinite is that you've got to get the buggers to let go of it first, which can be an uphill struggle when you're still making do with leather armour,
Multi-z-level channel + grate trap + war animals below = make it almost boring. ;-)

wooden shields and crossbow bolts and whatever you've been able to buy off the caravans. Besides, didn't they start coming with mostly leather armour now?
NOW - you mean in .19? Don't know, i'm still on .18.
Finis sanctificat media.

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 08:23:37 am »

Are you using the umhk keys to designate multiple walls at once? (Can't remember if it works on floors too.)
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 09:22:59 am »

As a long time city-dweller, I can offer one tip of advice in making constructions:  Designate your corners -first-.  It will save you hours of headache.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 09:25:19 am »

As a long time city-dweller, I can offer one tip of advice in making constructions:  Designate your corners -first-.  It will save you hours of headache.

I usually build everything in three steps.  First step is the top and bottom walls, and filling in the floor-plan (leaving out the walls and furniture).  Second step is the left and right.  Third step is the internal walls, and putting down chairs/workshops/etc.  Most people try to build it all in one go, which is the problem; you have to take it piece by piece.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 10:00:18 am »

I split the difference between above and below ground when I build fortresses.  Coalcircle was my last serious effort, and I was only just starting to build up an outdoor city.  Unfortunately, my fortress suffered from an FPS death, with 185+ dwarves.  I never even breached the caverns.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 10:10:19 am »

Before the recent changes, I experimented a bit with the RAWs to get a race of hill dwelling dwarves. (So that I could find some dwarf equipment in Adv-mode)
It was not a total success, as they still built their towns preferably in the mountains.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Stagan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 11:58:29 am »

I dug into a mountain, dug up to the top onto the plateu thing and removed all the ramps. There, i safely built a huge fortress, complete with towers, dining halls and retractable bridges to other parts. I never had to worry about being attacked, as i could simply outlast any siege. I found this a very succesful method.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 01:32:39 pm »

One good point for going above ground is, that you do not need to care about Miasma. Even if you build something around and above it, as long as the area is marked as "Light" instead of "Dark", Miasma will not appear.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.
Pages: 1 2 [3]