Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alone..  (Read 1684 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alone..
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:05:28 pm »

The Dwarven civilization was crushed, its just us now, we have just fourteen dwarves (there may be more migrant waves.. I don't know..), we can only hope we survive the horde.

-MB

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Alone..
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:11:41 pm »

The first two migrant waves come from thin air. With only fourteen, you have either another wave coming or are out of luck population-wise.
But how dwarfy would it be to take fourteen dwarves and recreate civilization? You should check your male-female ratio.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:19:44 pm »

Then it shall be done..

Current stats:

12th Limestone, 251 (started 250), Early Autumn
Created Wealth (Unk)
Trade Information (Unk)
Population (14) with an exactly even split between males and females

Food stores are holding, we have a fair amount of animals though could do with more of course, have a few well functioning farms.  My land gets very dry in the dry season however we have access to an aquifer for water, we are securing our borders right now (use Fortress Defense II, so may encounter attacks early) and carving out our lower fortress and looking for magma.

-MB

Dahka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:48:42 pm »

good luck, you are the last bastion of dwarven hope. was it just one civilization crushed or there is no other dwarven civ left? I wonder how you would start a game without a civ...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:33 pm »

If you had a civ, but they died, then you embark normally, get two migrant waves, and that's it.  No more migrants and no liaison.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:22:07 pm »

These are fun. I've found the most dangerous things you'll face in No-dwarf-civ games are cutebolds, since you can't rist you're dwarves when an ambush appears. the ambush will usually slaughter a caravan or two, and cutebolds will loot until they decide to siege you. You'll want to protect your entrance with upright spikes, since cutebolds have trap-avoid
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:30:34 pm »

Babysnatchers are lethal to a no-civ fort.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:02:51 am »

Animals. you need animals. For defence and snatcher-killing.

Also, restrict children to a safe-area deep inside the fort. One with food and booze in it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 12:37:31 am »

Maybe it's just because I "cheat" with my extremely thorough use of traps (both standard and non-standard) but I've never actually lost a child to a snatcher before.  Just throw a ring of cage traps, weapon traps, stonefall traps, spikes set to a repeater on a safety trigger, then another batch of cage traps just to make sure, and then a few dogs on chains to detect the kobolds, then some caged animals to release, then finally the emergency drawbridges to hermetically seal your fort completely from the outside if your outer defenses failed.

Never had anything get through that from the surface side.  Most often, ambushes are announced to me when I notice my cage traps somehow got full.

Cavern side, you need to do a "repeater" trick with opening and closing drawbridges that offer entrance to your fort, closing one when the FBs get close, but opening the other.  Then, in between them, you set your spikes on a repeater with a safety trigger.  Just run them from one entrance to another back and forth over those spikes.

I really only like military for marksdwarves behind fortifications.  Once I've redesigned the only siege-time access to my fort to have to go in an arc where my marksdwarves have line of sight on those sucker goblins for a good 60 tiles, at least.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:08:48 am »

I don't know if its 'cheating', but I don't personally use traps in a serious sense (though if my population is heavily limited I may have to lift that self-regulation this time around).

I still won't remove my 'no walling/drawbridge off' and no cage traps (like I said, I may allow 'offense' traps due to not being able to make a serious military, at least not at first).

I haven't gotten a chance to play since my last update, I'll let you all know how it goes.

-MB

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:21:55 pm »

If you are hearing this, you ARE the resistance.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:26:32 pm »

Your fingers will be gratefull if you set ''-MB'' in your sig.
And the no migrant thing isn't that special, I always play with pop cap 0 :)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 01:46:34 pm »

I always play with pop cap 0 :)
It's rather different. In your case you can enable migration if you decide so and you don't get children. In the op variant children he gets are the only reinforcements.

My land gets very dry in the dry season however we have access to an aquifer for water, we are securing our borders right now (use !!Fortress Defense II!!, so may encounter attacks early) and carving out our lower fortress and looking for magma.
Oh, my .. I was going to say that two spoilerite equiped soldiers would be enough, but then I've red the post better
Get down to magma sea and build your fort there under protection of magma traps
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 05:30:02 pm »

Update:

My second (and presumably last) migrant wave arrived bringing me up to 22 dwarves (split evenly between men and women).

Its possible my civilization is no longer dead (?), where I went from no important leaders there is now one (though he is just an outpost liaison/animal dissector), not sure exactly..

Either way, Puzzlesmith's current stats:

Created wealth just over 20K, population 22, main defenses almost set up, magmaworks almost set up, strong food/drink/farm industry, many animals available for defense and food.

-MB

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 08:23:43 pm »

Update:

Puzzlesmith - Dwarven Civilization still has no important leaders

Population 51 (got a third migrant wave)

Created Wealth 117K
Held off one siege (showed up just before I finished my outer defenses, my untrained military had to defend (sure they were only dark stranglers, but still, they outnumbered us, we had nearly no equipment, and we were untrained), got some bumps and bruises, one dwarf had a few teeth knocked out, but everybody was ok.

Lost a weaponsmith to madness (I hate how if the magma supply is interrupted to the forge they just lose it.. My own fault but still..), other then that no deaths, still any dwarf is a major loss and a metal smith particularly (he was only level 6 but still..).

Defenses up, food/booze plentiful with many animals for emergencies, well water system almost set up.

One forgotten beast has made its home in my caverns, fortunately it cannot get into my base yet but it does mean the caverns are off limits for now. 

-MB
Pages: [1] 2