Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dedicated building designer, worth it? And what do you think of my military plan  (Read 2325 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm going to start a new fort, the plan is to divide my fortress into three groups. Skilled labourers, they'd have only their one profession set and would do that thing non-stop (or as close to). Unskilled labourers, anything that doesn't have quality levels will be given to all dorfs that are not part of the Skilled group, or the next one. Military, I'm going to detail this below.

My issue is where I'm putting Building Designing. Do I want stuff to go up quickly, or do I want one person to do it all and make it look pretty. The problem is balancing speed vs quality. I do know how to train him though, a whole pile of tiny bridges. So, the real question. Is it worth it to try to get a Legendary Building Designerizer?

As for the military I plan to have one full squad for each weapon, and within that squad half of the guys will be wearing leather, and the other half metal. At the start they'll probably all wear leather, untill I get enough metal for the armour.

So I guess it's half can i haz help and half lol look at me, but whatever, what do you guys think?
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

An architect is good for road value.  The king demands a certain quality of roads, and masterwork roads up that value.  Also things like workshops and bridges.  If a dwarf passes over that masterful platinum bridge, he'll probably admire it and get happy thoughts.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

If you make a dedicated building designer (architect), you will want to put the construction materials near the construction site. That is because the architect carries all building materials to the site, does the design, then lets a mason/carpenter/metalsmith finish the job. He will really hold up projects if he has to run around a lot.

If you don't want to have a dedicated building designer, then enable architect on all of your carpenters and masons.

If you want to powerlevel an architect, mine out a large room underground. Disable all mason labors on all dwarves, and then order a lot of support columns built in the room. The architect will run around designing them, and then you can cancel the jobs and repeat.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I sometimes like to make the well I use as valuable as possible.  Which means, not counting lucky artifacts, a legendary mason, mechanic, architect, and metal crafter.  Which takes a while for the last two.

But they're only usefull if you want to raise your value, impress your dwarves, or make a megaproject.

If you do decide you want a legendary architect, lock him up in a large enough area with good personal rooms, enough rocks for the bridges (I usually make a 10x10 grid), and a lot of food and drink.  Otherwise your masons will keep finishing the bridges instead of their other work.  You can always cancel the construction after the architect has finished his part of it.

PS  I believe that the bridges give more exp than supports.  Or so I've heard.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarf fortress, where sending dorfs on pointless projects for things that will never be built to make them better architects is a great idea.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In .19 where metals are rarer, it may be a better idea to invest in a building designer if you want a monarch. In .18, there was so much gold that yuou could pave the entire surface in gold roads.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page

In .18, there was so much gold that you could pave the entire surface in gold roads.

Hmm, I still have my .18 fort with all that gold.  You're making that sound like a good idea........
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

Dwarf fortress, where sending dorfs on pointless projects for things that will never be built to make them better architects is a great idea.
Pretty sure that's how it works IRL.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online

Don't architects get upset if you destroy their masterworks?  That's one reason why I have all my miners doubling as architects.  I want to be able to tear down (or up, in the case of roads) anything that I build, without someone tantruming because it was just perfect the way it was.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile

Don't architects get upset if you destroy their masterworks?  That's one reason why I have all my miners doubling as architects.  I want to be able to tear down (or up, in the case of roads) anything that I build, without someone tantruming because it was just perfect the way it was.

They get mad if a building destroyer smashes them but you can safely deconstruct them.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online

They get mad if a building destroyer smashes them but you can safely deconstruct them.

Oh, that's good.  :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.