Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The ocean and metals  (Read 1947 times)

bluelang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The ocean and metals
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:11:45 pm »

So I've genned a couple dozen worlds now and finded'd up multiple metal sites. It seems like 99% of them are under saltwater. Anyone have any ideas why this is, other than "that's the way it's coded." ?

I was thinking for a while that a very short history might be helpful in order to keep all the civs from grabbing the "good" sites, but it turns out they just grab whatever.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: The ocean and metals
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »

Since dwarves regularly go without iron and you can't request anvils, then no, it's safe to assume that civ's sites are random.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:47:20 am »

Wow, I've seen ocean biome with all resources simultaneously, but I didn't know it's that regular. Time to go underwater I guess. I wonder if embark anywhere tool is still working.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:31:06 am »

Shallow metals and the sea definitely seem to go hand in hand.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:32:30 am »

Since dwarves regularly go without iron and you can't request anvils, then no, it's safe to assume that civ's sites are random.

...if you can't -request- anvils, how do you GET one if you didn't bring one? O_o
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 08:38:51 am »

Hoping the humies have one, then crying and abandoning fort.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 02:47:54 am »

I've been able to request anvils without any problem.  It must be a civ-by-civ problem.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 02:53:48 am »

I can only seem to get multiple metals underwater as well.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 04:05:15 am »

Steel anvils, really.  Due to a fluke of design, you can request steel even without iron.  Crazy, yes, but it was a previous logical move that only became funny now that metal is scarce.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »

But I've still ordered and bought Iron anvils from all 3 Dwarf civs I've played on my .19 world.

(There are 10 of us.  We rock.)
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 03:58:07 pm »

I only use squads of 3 for melee and 5-10 for marksdwarfs. I start by finding a decent fighter and make him an axeman, then spears and 1 other weapon type (hammers usually).

2/squad to spar at anytime (schedule training all year with 2/3 training. watch for unhappy thought and give breaks accordingly)

3 well armed dwarfs can handle 1 squad of gobos at a time fairly easily. 3+ squads of gobos happens often in a siege, but they dont necessarily engage at once. so you should be able to manage. 1 well armed elite can pretty well manage the whole siege if he doesn't get throat slashed, tired, or swarmed.

Watch out for hammers, lashers, maces, and crossbows because they can go through armor. Use marksdwarfs to counter melee armor piercers and dogs/cats to waste enemy crossbow ammo (or for a distraction while my melees rush them (or for lulz))

I Usually have 3 melee squads (my pop is maxed at 50 for fps, but I get as many as 65 at a time) so I always have 2 squads ready to go.

Sometimes Ill equip 1 squad with wooden weapons and go kill trogs. (Cave Crocs and Giant Olms work if you have good armor) 100+ pages of combat is a huge amount of XP even split 3 ways.

If I have enough dwarfs that I want to militarize, Ill set up a 4th melee squad of 1-2 well trained dwarfs (preferably with teaching) and as many other soon-to-be soldiers as I have. equip 2 shields and let them train up (spar). when skilled, I move them to the "real" melee squads and give them an appropriate weapon (instead of 2 shields. Axes if for the axe squad. this is to avoid wasting time training recruits to use spears and then deciding I need more hammers. instead of weapon skill, they train shield or fighting/dodging. I'd rather they not die for a long time than kill things quickly -- let them be tanks for my veterans.)

I set archers to train 1 dwarf per month and about half the rest to 'man the towers' while the rest rest. (or weave spider webs to silk. They carry their xbows around and defend themselves better than civilians would)

If you want to train Marksdwarfs, set them to 1-2 man squads and tell them each to train 1 per month. or you can make them hunters until they are "good enough" for u to recruit them in the military (hunter skill + military is bugged so 1 or the other) Marksmanship is the easiest quickest to level so I don't stress about it.

Alternatively, you can just build a danger room. But I don't.

LunatictheInvincible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:26:30 pm »

First, Rude, ?

Second, GET TO DA CHOPPA! WE STRAYING FROM DA TOPIC!

Finally, on topic. Although I have not generated many worlds, the four or five that I have generated have all had most excellent embark sites featuring multiple metals and everything else one could desire. However, I have noticed that overall the types of stone and rock are less than what they once were. So far, I have done three memorable embarks and a couple of ones that were rejected due to user error or some similar issue.

First one: Lots of materials, lost to river creatures, player incompetence, and lack of third party tools.
Second one: Lots of non-iron metals, flux stones, and anything else one could want, including enough blue metal to outfit around fifty dwarves in full armor and weaponry; lost to modding typo (caused by sleep deprivation), and critical fps.
Third one: Lots of iron, chert, schist, red pyrope, white calcedony, trees, sand, and clay; non-ideal location in order to kill elves; lost to goblins; reclaimed, one dwarf survives, fifteen arrive in migrations, still going strong, but slow due to the 800,000 flows caused by cavern water loss upon reclaim.

Hopefully, this was on topic.

Also, the Future of The Fortress sticky in the DF General Discussion page has a discussion going on about the findings in this thread and their possible applications to shipbuilding/ocean mining. (Page 254-255 for later readers)

Also, posting to watch.

Too wordy and self-centered. I apologize.