Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Masons and stone furniture?  (Read 2746 times)

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masons and stone furniture?
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »

Am I the only one that thinks it a bit odd that masons make the stone furniture, as opposed to say, stonecrafters?  Is it possible to mod to change this, or would this be hard-coded in?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Masons and stone furniture?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:46:58 pm »

"craft" refers to "trade good".  The same way that a metalcrafter makes trinkets while the armorsmith makes armor.  Making a toy and making a table are two different areas of expertise.

EDIT: To word it another way, who do you want to build you a dresser?  A carpenter or a cup-maker?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:51:23 pm by Girlinhat »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:03:19 pm »

It's hard-coded normally, but in theory you might be able to make a custom reaction in a workshop that uses/trains the stonecrafter skill. I'm not nearly mod-savvy enough to say how much of that would actually work, though, especially with regards to quality modifiers.

But no, it doesn't strike me as odd that the guys making stone tables are the same guys who make stone blocks, rather than the same guys who make stone rings and toy boats, just like it doesn't strike me as odd that carpenters are the ones who make wood furniture, not woodcarvers.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:28:34 pm »

Makes more sense now that you put it that way.  Thanks!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:29:36 pm »

It takes a different kind of skill to be able to chisel a flat table or door out of rock.

Rock cabinets and rock grates are still a mystery to me. Do they glue the pieces together or something?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:34:16 pm »

Cabinet = Hollow Brick

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:47:36 am »

Cabinet = Hollow Brick

With rock hindges and a rock handle etc. All carved from a single boulder
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:27 am »

Cabinet = Hollow Brick

I'm so sigging

EDIT: nevermind. apparently while I wasn't looking, they enacted a six line limit on sigs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:14:10 am by Terrahex »
What do you think? Yes? No?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 05:17:31 am »

It takes a different kind of skill to be able to chisel a flat table or door out of rock.

Rock cabinets and rock grates are still a mystery to me. Do they glue the pieces together or something?

Nah, they use one piece of rock and they're really, really skilled about not breaking it when they sculpt it into some absurd shapes.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:27:20 am »

Something like this? Only with stone.  :o
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Kyphie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 06:10:17 am »

With rock hindges and a rock handle etc. All carved from a single boulder

The cabinet doors don't have hinges, it's just a removable stone slab that fits snugly. The handle isn't protruding, it's two hallow channels leaving a grip in the center. The quality just determines how smooth the rock is, how thin and lightweight the door can be carved, how perfect the fit it, that sort of stuff.

What you should be concerned with is the perfectionist crafter that wastes an entire boulder of prime marble whittling it down into an earring.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:48 am »

Cabinet is easy. It's like a chest of drawers.

And the grate has a rock border, with the bars on the inside.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »

I believe people actually make stone grates in real life. Basically they're just slabs of rock, like massive floor tiles, with lots of holes drilled into them.

Also, dwarves seem to have access to little bits of stuff (like fishing polls, the little tools they use in shops, etc) that don't actually appear in the game. So it seems like certain tools and other bits of stuff are just assumed to be "around" but the game doesn't require you to micromanage them.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:18:05 pm by ral »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 03:31:16 pm »

I believe people actually make stone grates in real life. Basically they're just slabs of rock, like massive floor tiles, with lots of holes drilled into them.

Also, dwarves seem to have access to little bits of stuff (like fishing polls, the little tools they use in shops, etc) that don't actually appear in the game. So it seems like certain tools and other bits of stuff are just assumed to be "around" but the game doesn't require you to micromanage them.
They all appear in game, they are called beards....

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 03:50:53 pm »

Frankly, I wouldn't mind masons just making constructions and stonecrafters doing everything else. You know, on the basis that stonecrafters are bloody useless right now and masons overworked. You might argue that making a stone trinket is completely different thing, but I'd say building stone walls and stairs is even more so.

Making big stone objects is still stone crafting, just on a bigger scale. Masons on the other hand would really just deal with simple blocks and bricks and how to put those together into a sturdy constructions.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.
Pages: [1] 2