Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't kill something from Spoilerland?  (Read 830 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't kill something from Spoilerland?
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:16:14 pm »

So I've been trying to get a crew through the candy vein to explore down below for the last few forts and I've finally made a working system that allows me to perforate them as they come up. I can't seem to kill this last group of 'Monster of Grime' that're 'a towering dove composed of grime and filth'.

I've had candy/steel spear traps poking them for the last hour or so at ~30FPS and they're riddled with injuries but not a single one has died yet. Think they'll eventually die if I leave them to be poked for a few more hours, or should I just send in the military and hope for the best with their poisonous vapors?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't kill something from Spoilerland?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:49:06 pm »

I have heard that spears, like arrows, will only cause organ and body part damage as well as bleeding. Some creatures, like bronze colossi and certain demons won't die from organ damage or blood loss. They can only be killed by decapitation or splitting body segments.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:50:43 pm »

Traps 101: You must have a large serrated disc and large axe blade in every trap.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:53:13 pm »

Except those traps won't trigger on demons which, at least last time I looked through the info, are all trapavoid. Upright spear traps are manually triggered and can hit them.

Hmm. Guess I could open up a second passage and lob ballistae at them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:56:00 pm by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:56:04 pm »

Drats, I've been playing with the dwarven BFG too much.

If you have balista up, those should help. If not, send in the dwarfs!
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:29:39 pm »

If they're made of grime, thet shouldn't be too hard to tear apart.
If they try dodging away from the spears with any regularity, you could try rigging a long speared platform with a drop on both sides.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:11:26 pm »

I don't think they're that tough, but I'd rather keep my military as undamaged as possible so I can storm whatever lies beneath in the best condition possible-- I tossed a few animals into them and they all almost immediately suffocated. (The poison vapor, I'm guessing.)

Them dodging off the edge won't do anything since they're flyers, will it?

Ballista's also being met with failure since I can't get a shot to actually hit them [and not the wall]. Grrr.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:44:16 am »

So I've been trying to get a crew through the candy vein to explore down below for the last few forts and I've finally made a working system that allows me to perforate them as they come up. I can't seem to kill this last group of 'Monster of Grime' that're 'a towering dove composed of grime and filth'.

I've had candy/steel spear traps poking them for the last hour or so at ~30FPS and they're riddled with injuries but not a single one has died yet. Think they'll eventually die if I leave them to be poked for a few more hours, or should I just send in the military and hope for the best with their poisonous vapors?

Magma + water kills anything.

So does a dropping floor.

Sounds like you've gotten them contained, so it's just a matter of engineering.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 05:24:36 am »

Dropping a floor will leave a hole where the floor was. Not a good idea.

Anyway, I'd just pour magma down the hole. Even if they're immune, it's funny. :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:37:01 am »

Just to be sure, you could make a lava tank above the the ceiling, and insert lava in above the tank... If the cave-in doesnt get them all (or there are more coming), the whole corridor can be obsidianized. Even better if you can do it drop by drop to kill them dropping the blocks on them.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:47:32 am »

Just to be sure, you could make a lava tank above the the ceiling, and insert lava in above the tank... If the cave-in doesnt get them all (or there are more coming), the whole corridor can be obsidianized.

Then kill some more of them with the obsidian swords made out of the "corridor"?

Or, if you're masochist, and on a cold biome, encase them in ice.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 08:54:45 am »

Just to be sure, you could make a lava tank above the the ceiling, and insert lava in above the tank... If the cave-in doesnt get them all (or there are more coming), the whole corridor can be obsidianized.

Then kill some more of them with the obsidian swords made out of the "corridor"?

You mean "sadist".
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

mutabulis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 11:26:16 am »

You mean "sadist".

Think he means masochist, due to the span of the job its masochistic to go through all that trouble.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 11:52:15 am »

You mean "sadist".

Think he means masochist, due to the span of the job its masochistic to go through all that trouble.

Maybe a bit of both.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o