Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Spire of Fun  (Read 1071 times)

lordgeryon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Spire of Fun
« on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:19 pm »

So, I hadn't played DF in a several months, and decided to download the newest version and give it a shot.

First world I genned, didn't find any sites I liked the look of. Second world, I found a decent site. Got my embark all prepared and hit the embark key, and DF crashed. I grumbled a bit, reloaded, and went to try to find that site again. Got to where I thought it was, set up my embark again, and hey, it worked.

And then I saw it.

An above-ground spire of bluemetal.

Unlike the massive one elsewhere, this one is only 12 zlevels high, and goes down 156 or so zlevels to the Fun Place. It is a tube, btw. Breaching it doesn't trigger the fun until you breach a good deal below the magma sea. Site has clay, brook, shallow and deep metal, flux, and plenty of trees and vegetation. Not sure of the surrounding civs, though.

And it is completely minable. No bugs in the game that I can see.

I offer up the save here. It has my dwarfs, no fort, and iirc, one tile of the spire mined out to show it can be mined.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I used the Phoebus download instead of the standard game. This may or may not be relevant.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 07:58:29 pm by lordgeryon »

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
Re: A Spire of Fun
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:09:28 pm »

Testing this now. If it's a playable site, then that's great.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:09:42 pm »

Nice find!  :)

Gonna preserve the spire as a holy place, or are you gonna smelt it to HFS and back?

lordgeryon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:13:00 pm »

Oh, I'm gonna mine it and use it. Armok would be displeased if I did not use his gift properly.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 08:19:58 pm »

Actually, this seems to be somewhat playable, with ~35 FPS off the bat. And my computer's not even that great.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:25:09 pm »

So, I hadn't played DF in a several months, and decided to download the newest version and give it a shot.

First world I genned, didn't find any sites I liked the look of. Second world, I found a decent site. Got my embark all prepared and hit the embark key, and DF crashed. I grumbled a bit, reloaded, and went to try to find that site again. Got to where I thought it was, set up my embark again, and hey, it worked.

And then I saw it.

An above-ground spire of bluemetal.

Unlike the massive one elsewhere, this one is only 12 zlevels high, and goes down 156 or so zlevels to the Fun Place. It is a tube, btw. Breaching it doesn't trigger the fun until you breach a good deal below the magma sea. Site has clay, brook, shallow and deep metal, flux, and plenty of trees and vegetation. Not sure of the surrounding civs, though.

And it is completely minable. No bugs in the game that I can see.

I offer up the save here. It has my dwarfs, no fort, and iirc, one tile of the spire mined out to show it can be mined.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I used the Phoebus download instead of the standard game. This may or may not be relevant.

Woo! Nice.
Pheobus... is it .19 or .18?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 10:34:04 pm »

I have to admit, once the implications of this set in, I cackled. Evilly.

-downloads the save to set about mining that spire to Hell-

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 11:38:58 pm »

This embark is awesome, except for one thing that I feared, the magma sea is draining in a couple of places.  One seems to be off the side of the map, and at least two other places it is draining into the HFS.  I tried to plug the gaps with dfhack, but I just don't think I can do it. 

lordgeryon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 02:02:38 am »

Woo! Nice.
Pheobus... is it .19 or .18?

This is .19

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 02:48:34 am »

Wonderful. Downloading now...

um. Out of curiosity, why not use the DFFD?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 02:52:09 am »

I had one of these in 31.18 two days ago - the draining magma does test the FPS.

Just don't do what I did, and collapse the tower on three of your starting dwarves...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 04:35:55 pm »

I had one of these in 31.18 two days ago - the draining magma does test the FPS.

Just don't do what I did, and collapse the tower on three of your starting dwarves...

If you collapse it you get 'unknown material' or something like that. (At least one of the succession forts (Flagbinded, I think.) did, and I did when I tested it myself.)

Time to do some downloadin'.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".