Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nether Caps; more then just logs?  (Read 2502 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nether Caps; more then just logs?
« on: February 22, 2011, 02:08:59 pm »

so It's recently come to my attention that nether caps are VERY cold. Any application of this?

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nether Caps; more then just logs?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:16:24 pm »

Sadly, no. They may be cold but they don't freeze water nor do they interact with magma in any way. I might not be up to date on this though.

Reni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:21:15 pm »

As far as i know it is magma safe but i didn't try this myself so far.
Edit: Well at least it appears on the list http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Magma-safe
"Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness."
Otto von Bismarck

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:25:41 pm »

I've built a nether-cap floodgate, linked it to a non-magma-safe mechanism, then opened it and allowed magma to flow through. The floodgate did not catch fire, and the mechanism did not melt. I think somebody managed to use a nether-cap block+corkscrew+pipe segment to pump magma (something which would cause an ordinary wooden screw pump to instantly burst into flames), though I'm not sure.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:31:37 pm »

Nether-caps are allegedly magma-proof, so if you make your nobles' beds out of the stuff you can avoid replacing the beds after every mandate-ending purge.  Same applies to hospitals, if you purge your legless dwarves.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:34:09 pm »

Someone suggested nether-cap booze barrels submerged in magma as a sort of emergency storage. Has anyone actually tried that yet?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 02:35:54 pm »

No, and why would you?  Iron barrels would be just as magma-safe, albeit in .19 iron is a luxury, so perhaps nether-cap will become very popular for pumps and such.  For that matter, nether-cap can be used for axles and such that may be exposed to magma as well.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:43:02 pm »

Someone suggested nether-cap booze barrels submerged in magma as a sort of emergency storage. Has anyone actually tried that yet?

I have no idea, but it sounds freakin' awesome.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 02:50:09 pm »

That makes a tonne of sense though. If you have all his furniture (door, bed, cabinets, chests etc etc) ALL made of Nethercap, then BAM! You can pump magma in or out with no furniture loss.

On a more fluff-based note, Nether Caps could be a good explanation as to how Dwarfs use magma forges (assuming that convection is actually taken into account at some stage. People who work with furnaces today have to wear huge heat suits, but I don't think Dwarfs have the technology for those. The solution? Nether Cap armour!
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 02:54:14 pm »

How did they make steel and iron before heat suits?  One reason for the suits now is the sheer size of the forges.  A modern factory doesn't produce a bar of steel, it makes it the metric fuck-tonnes per load.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 03:02:36 pm »

How did they make steel and iron before heat suits?  One reason for the suits now is the sheer size of the forges.  A modern factory doesn't produce a bar of steel, it makes it the metric fuck-tonnes per load.

Fair point. But a forge doesn't produce anything near the same amount of heat as magma.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 03:05:43 pm »

These are also dwarves, who will gladly eat Dragonfly Roast off a lead table while naked and covered in kitten blood.  They are considerably tougher than the average, flammable human.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 03:11:45 pm »

Magma doesn't have the flow characteristic that water does. So a nether-cap waterwheel powerplant is out of the question... unless pumps create flow but I'm not sure...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:15:47 pm »

You've never managed to get magma accidentally up to the surface and burn your waterwheel?
Let's face it, you've never done this.
You did it on purpose.

Making things magma-proof in DF is like adding bumpers to cars.  It's not a protection issue, "just in case" something happens.  It's a protection issue, WHEN something happens!  Always assume that your fortress will be submerged in magma, because if given enough time, it will be.  This is the natural habitat of dwarves, magma.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 03:19:50 pm »

I seem to recall in the past somebody did just such an experiment with magma safe waterwheels.  And that although pumps can create flow, and in fact causes magma to take on the physics of water where it normally would not.  Waterwheels do not recognize magma when it checks to see if it should produce power.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: [1] 2