Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact of Evil and Ghosts  (Read 1321 times)

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact of Evil and Ghosts
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:16:17 pm »

I've got a problem: During a tantrum spiral, one of my Dwarves had a Fell Mood and butchered a caravan guard to make an artifact: Snakescruel the Urns of Dawning. Now the guard's ghost is back for revenge and I can't bury him because his body was destroyed and his name isn't on the engrave slab list. As I understand it, it won't appear unless all traces of the body are destroyed, which they aren't because he was made into a scepter.

So I atom-smashed the thing and it's gone, but it's still on the artifact list (though no longer is around physically), and his name still can't be engraved! What do I do?
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Artifact of Evil and Ghosts
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:26:27 pm »

Destroying all of the body will not get rid of a ghost - rather, it's one of the main ways of getting a ghost in the first place!
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:30:29 pm »

Why would you destroy such an AWESOME artifact?  :o

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:30:39 pm »

Wait, since when can fell moods target caravan guards?
くコ:彡

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:37:42 pm »

tried slab yet?

edit:woops didnt read carefully  :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:57:59 pm by Lamphare »

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:41:21 pm »

He has tried slabs.  He is under the impression (and I have no idea if it's wrong or not) that slabs can only be engraved when the body is lost, and he has been unable to engrave a slab.

Personally, I think that if the ghost can't be put to rest after being Artifact'd, that'd be pretty awesome (besides the FPS loss).
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:49:28 am »

Why would you destroy such an AWESOME artifact?  :o
Don't worry, it wasn't destroyed, just smashed through time and space to...somewhere else. I like to think a lich has it by now.

Wait, since when can fell moods target caravan guards?
Now, I guess. Probably not what poor Kib was expecting when he signed up for caravan duty.

Interestingly, the ghost claimed one of the coffins I had set for auto-bury. So I freed up that one and all others so he didn't have one. Still didn't bring his name up for slabbing, unfortunately.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 04:55:31 am »

Was the caravan guard a dwarf?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 05:18:41 am »

I've got a problem: During a tantrum spiral, one of my Dwarves had a Fell Mood and butchered a caravan guard to make an artifact: Snakescruel the Urns of Dawning. Now the guard's ghost is back for revenge and I can't bury him because his body was destroyed and his name isn't on the engrave slab list. As I understand it, it won't appear unless all traces of the body are destroyed, which they aren't because he was made into a scepter.

So I atom-smashed the thing and it's gone, but it's still on the artifact list (though no longer is around physically), and his name still can't be engraved! What do I do?

Give that dwarf a royal bedroom, because anybody that makes an artifact and raises a ghost from it is bad as horse!

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 06:24:44 am »

It is impossible to engrave a slab for non-fortress dwarves. If a caravan guard dies and his body gets lost, you can't get rid of the ghost. You can try to have a berserk dwarf kill the ghost, but I think the ghost will simply reappear again later.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:38:06 am »

It is impossible to engrave a slab for non-fortress dwarves. If a caravan guard dies and his body gets lost, you can't get rid of the ghost. You can try to have a berserk dwarf kill the ghost, but I think the ghost will simply reappear again later.

Is this absolute?  I had the opportunity -- neglected, because my FPS dropped to 2 and then I ate too much cotton candy -- to engrave a slab for a FB. 

There...  were a lot of dead things in that fortress.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:41:57 am »

A FB is not a dwarf.  You can engrave a slab for any fortress dwarf or any other named creature (or unnamed pet of your fort) which dies on the map.  Caravan guards and caravans themselves are the only things not engraved.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 02:44:21 am »

Ah.  Gotcha.  I thought jell meant just foreigners. 

That's pretty hilarious, since dwarves will obsessively Coffinize dwarves who are in a Gobbo siege, but members of their own civ don't warrant a little carving.