Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fighting Dwarves  (Read 1439 times)

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fighting Dwarves
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:06:31 pm »

I've noticed several times in my 31.19 fort, that dwarves (often armed ones...) will get into fights, hitting each other with whatever is handy until one goes to the hospital.  I checked the thoughts of one such dwarf and noticed he had a happy thought from "beat somebody recently".

It is not related to any tantrum (that gets announced, anyway).

Has anyone else seen this?  What causes it, and how can I ameliorate it?

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:13:59 pm »

Well, animals have been getting angry when stuffed into small areas.  It may be related.  I've yet to see this in particular though.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Could it be your hammerer?

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:53:43 pm »

My fort doesn't even have a sheriff, let alone a hammerer.  I just checked.  I do have a big fort of 140+ dwarves.  (It's a county, now).

I have noticed fighting with domestic animals... and also, all fighting has occurred in my dining hall (which is where dwarves and pets tend to congregate, anyway).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:59:30 pm »

My forts of size 20 get to be a country, which I find hilarious.

How big is your dining hall and how packed in is everyone?  Animals and I think to a lesser extent people, get angry when sardine'd into a room.

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 06:24:32 pm »

My fort doesn't even have a sheriff, let alone a hammerer.  I just checked.  I do have a big fort of 140+ dwarves.  (It's a county, now).

I have noticed fighting with domestic animals... and also, all fighting has occurred in my dining hall (which is where dwarves and pets tend to congregate, anyway).

I've had a similar occurance, where I didn't have a sheriff or hammerer but one of my dwarves that was listed on the justice screen for not meeting a production mandate, had all the bones in his hand broken by a military dwarf (said he was sentenced to a beating.)  I just assumed that the military dwarf meted out the punishment for whatever reason.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:36:56 pm »

This happens to me in .18, when my legendary melee dorfs are fighting goblins or anything that is punchable. Seems to be usual and they get negative thoughts, when they are no longer in battle or not assigned to train.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 06:54:10 pm by Nekudotayim »
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:43 pm »

After discovering the justice screen, I realized it was probably related to that - to failure to meet certain mandates (my Count has a window fetish). 

I also realized that what I thought was just another mililtary squad actually contained the captain of the guard... who is the promoted sheriff... but he is not the one who has dished out beatings.

Anyway, it does appear to be random military dwarves combined with a lack of a jail, which I have since set up. 

BTW all my soldiers carry hammers since my only metal is silver.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 08:45:48 pm »

Any soldier in your Justice Leader's squad will deal out justice as well, and sometimes random military members if the Justice squad is otherwise busy.  ALWAYS have a jail, even if it's just some ropes stolen from elves set up in an empty room.