Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Projects for hermit fort?  (Read 643 times)

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Projects for hermit fort?
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:00:23 am »

I've started my first hermit fort, and have basically everything down pat. She has  grazing animals and farms on the top Z-level, along with storage, industry on 2nd Z-level and a nice apartment overlooking the caverns at z-5. What else is there to do in a hermit fort? any ideas, things you've done in the past?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Projects for hermit fort?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:03:56 am »

A conventional megaproject, one brick at a time...

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:11:56 am »

I've started my first hermit fort, and have basically everything down pat. She has  grazing animals and farms on the top Z-level, along with storage, industry on 2nd Z-level and a nice apartment overlooking the caverns at z-5. What else is there to do in a hermit fort? any ideas, things you've done in the past?

Play a game of "zombie survivor," and a little self-entertained roleplay helps. For whatever reasons, she is and always be alone, and must survive the inhospitable world that is Dwarf Fortress. To make things interesting, open up the caverns and avoid completely isolated her home from surrounding world, so that there is some risk involved (e.g., have your pasture across the river). Around the fourth or fifth year, activate invaders and allow ambushes.

Or, play the explorer/archaeologist- eventually abandon the permanent residence and challenge yourself to delve ever further into the earth, setting up a new shelter every so often along your journey into the darkness below.

:)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:24:26 am »

Excellent idea! I wish i would have kept trying to setup in an evil biome though, I ended up settling for untamed wilds.

(the first 2 times I tried to start in an evil biome I got slaughtered by undead camels nearly instantly lol)

nevertheless more ideas welcome!