Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BY ARMOK'S BEARD! (Minor Spoilers)  (Read 2059 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
BY ARMOK'S BEARD! (Minor Spoilers)
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:36:27 am »

Okay, so I just got the biggest siege of all.  6 groups, fantastic.  Flyers are only two, so no biggie.  But the meyhem that ensues is... legendary.

The leader is an Iguana Devil, a patchy black haired emaciated monstrosity with webs it never uses, apparently.  And it began attacking the goblins.

It takes out four of the six squads of mounted, well armed, and skilled goblins single-handedly with only bruises.  Um, wow. Thanks, but, wow.  My traps take the other two out except for a maceman on a giant cave swallow, who claimed a nest.  I killed that with my swordsdwarves so they can get some action rather than my axedwarves and elite pincushion makers.

So, that's one siege done... except for the lawgiver iguana devil.  He's not leaving.  So I get my entire 64 dwarf, well-trained, fairly armed (about 1/5 steel, and then a mix of bronzes and leather) to get him out.

He kills.
Every.
Last.
Single.
Dwarf.
Alone.
Unwounded but for one cut to the arm.

I.... have never encountered anything this powerful.  Not even a bronze colossus killed a dwarf.  What... this..

This can only be one thing...

Armok himself!

RIP, 229 dwarf awesome fortress.  (I'm savescumming.)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BY ARMOK'S BEARD! (Minor Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:43:44 am »

Wow, that's something else.  How many limbs did it have?  was it made of anything special?  Or was it just insanely badass?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:49:37 am »

All hail Armok!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:56:15 am »

Someone should draw that iguana devil.
Could you post it's in-game description?

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:56:29 am »

Wow, that's something else.  How many limbs did it have?  was it made of anything special?  Or was it just insanely badass?

Flesh and blood (and vaporware web).  Two arms, one tail, two legs.

It's a seemingly very normal devil.  But... the epic slaughter...

No adventurer has ever accomplished death on a scale this large.  Especially not against foes as tough as my dwarves.  Or so many in such a short time.
(At least not without cheating)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:01:15 am »

Uslun Spospouzob Slodsezozusp

A great hairy iguana twisted into humanoid form.  It appears to be emaciated.  It's black hair is patchy.  Beware it's webs!

He is average in size.

I'm thinking...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 02:08:44 am by janglur »

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 02:10:21 am »

BTW, the save's here if you want it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/449227221/save.rar

This is post-slaughter, but before the dwarves get their turn, and he's still on the map.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:42:44 am »

Oh my god!

Armok is made of interwebs, literally.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:09:52 am »

Armok is a dwarf. Not an iguana devil. Perhaps thats a minor embodiment of Armok. It would be nice to see how effective that igunana devil is - was he just lucky this time? Or is he victorious in most of the universes/games played?

Metaphysics - Considering WE are the REAL Gods of this realm/game, does that mean we, collectively, are Armok? Or is Armok a meta God for players of this game? So would that mean - I'm Armok?

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 02:03:37 pm »

Ok so I tried your save - (Nice fort btw) and it seems you lucked out.

I tried about 7 times to attack and kill him.
The first time I stomped him with everyone of your squads sent at once - 89 dwarves iirc.
The next time I sent everyone, he left (fled) by the time they got there.
Trial 3 - 89 D vs Iguana = dead iguana lawgiver
Trial 4 - I sent 1 squad, he fled
Trial 5 - 1 Squad, fled
Trial 6 - 1 squad, no casualties, dead lawgiver.
Trial 7 - 1 Squad, 3 casualties, lawgiver injured in brown and yellow, but with all body parts - Flees before reinforcements arrive.

I might try a few more times, but the cycle time for each attempt will be long - its a big fort, pretty meticulously laid out and has a LOT of people so its slow. The cave swallow nesting, along with goblin rider is pretty neat. Do you get giant cave swallow eggs from that? And can you possibly hatch the eggs, kill the parent, and then greet new goblin waves with giant cave swallows?

Incidentally - terrible luck on your artifacts I saw, only 1 artifact weapon in a page of artifacts. And whats a perfect schorl? I guess the cabinets and other random objects are cool though.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 02:24:23 pm »

Schorl is a gem, so that's a Large Gem.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 04:31:02 pm »

Ok so I tried your save - (Nice fort btw) and it seems you lucked out.

I tried about 7 times to attack and kill him.
The first time I stomped him with everyone of your squads sent at once - 89 dwarves iirc.
The next time I sent everyone, he left (fled) by the time they got there.
Trial 3 - 89 D vs Iguana = dead iguana lawgiver
Trial 4 - I sent 1 squad, he fled
Trial 5 - 1 Squad, fled
Trial 6 - 1 squad, no casualties, dead lawgiver.
Trial 7 - 1 Squad, 3 casualties, lawgiver injured in brown and yellow, but with all body parts - Flees before reinforcements arrive.

I might try a few more times, but the cycle time for each attempt will be long - its a big fort, pretty meticulously laid out and has a LOT of people so its slow. The cave swallow nesting, along with goblin rider is pretty neat. Do you get giant cave swallow eggs from that? And can you possibly hatch the eggs, kill the parent, and then greet new goblin waves with giant cave swallows?

Incidentally - terrible luck on your artifacts I saw, only 1 artifact weapon in a page of artifacts. And whats a perfect schorl? I guess the cabinets and other random objects are cool though.

Jeez, must be my luck.  If you want extra fun, notice I have like ten Forgotten Beasts roaming around.  =3

Thanks for the kind words about the fort, I do my best.  I get around 42 FPS right now, though.  =(

As for the cave swallow, I killed it because it was spooking my hens.  If it happens again though, i'll try to trap it in and get some cave swallows.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 04:54:50 pm »

The demons that leave the underworld during worldgen are incredibly strong.
I once found one as a prisoner in a human castle in adventure mode and got it to join me on my quest to kill a bronze colossus. It had no problem severing the colossus' head with a COPPER knife.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 06:34:53 pm »

except for a maceman on a giant cave swallow, who claimed a nest.
ONWARD, VILE BEAST!  CARRY ME FORTH TO THE DWELLING OF THE PATHETIC DWARVES, THAT I MIGHT...  wait, what?  Where are you going?  You...

...*sigh*
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 06:54:57 pm »

Anyone know a .19 compatible visualizer?  After the unexpected praise, i'm curious to view it in something other than my head.
Pages: [1] 2