Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: I think "magic" will spring into existence.  (Read 4292 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: I think "magic" will spring into existence.
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 11:41:48 am »

Well duh....obviously dinosaurs were summoned from Nether portals. And the platypus? If that's not a spell misfiring, I don't know what is.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2011, 11:44:03 am »

Gee, you figured it out all on your own? We were hoping you wouldn't. Why, I myself am a 400,000 year old warlock, and boy do I have magical egg on my face now!

Damn it, those are endangered! Stop smashing them on your face!
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Official Pace Car for the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 12:02:26 pm »

Funny enough, I think we're plenty capable of it without any kicker. It's a dormant ability we all have. An age of magic had to exist some time ago; we locked ourselves out after a great war broke out, and just forgot about it, and with good reason.

I have to know if you have any kind of rational basis for this statement.
Quote from: webadict
I could care less what you are now, because what you will be is dead.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 01:30:12 pm »

Funny enough, I think we're plenty capable of it without any kicker. It's a dormant ability we all have. An age of magic had to exist some time ago; we locked ourselves out after a great war broke out, and just forgot about it, and with good reason.
I have to know if you have any kind of rational basis for this statement.
Well symbols and such have meanings behind them, history shows a bunch of figures plastering them all over the place (one example being Hitler and the swastika (whirlwind of power or some crap like that); King Solomon has used symbols all over the place and such too; claimed to have made several himself), and we couldn't have just been here for just 6 millennia. It just seems so, well, short. Considering mankind's behaviors with great powers, I think it's a pretty rational reason to lock such capabilities, and obscure it into oblivion to ensure the safety of mankind and rebuild after some heavy destruction. Some jackass must've summoned a meteor to end everything. Plus, we can't let secret societies get off the hook with their odd behaviors. Who knows? They might be spending eons trying to unlock their potential. Some may have achieved it, and are just dicking with us with what power they have found.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2011, 01:48:23 pm »

Well symbols and such have meanings behind them, history shows a bunch of figures plastering them all over the place (one example being Hitler and the swastika (whirlwind of power or some crap like that); King Solomon has used symbols all over the place and such too; claimed to have made several himself), and we couldn't have just been here for just 6 millennia. It just seems so, well, short.

Firstly, symbols are just things that stand for other things.  They're just placeholders, in the same way that "U.S.A." is a placeholder for "The United States of America".  There's nothing extraordinary or supernatural about that.  Hitler's use of the swastika (originally an ancient symbol associated with well-being) changed the association for the western world, but it wasn't magical.  It's just an equilateral cross with right-angle arms.  And what does any of that have to do with the length of time humans have existed?

Considering mankind's behaviors with great powers, I think it's a pretty rational reason to lock such capabilities, and obscure it into oblivion to ensure the safety of mankind and rebuild after some heavy destruction. Some jackass must've summoned a meteor to end everything. Plus, we can't let secret societies get off the hook with their odd behaviors. Who knows? They might be spending eons trying to unlock their potential. Some may have achieved it, and are just dicking with us with what power they have found.

I was asking for a rational explanation of why you think such "powers" ever existed at all, not why somebody would hide them.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2011, 01:56:34 pm »

I like to think that magic would be powered by pure belief instead on any tangible force.

Watching two people assured of there victory fighting would be interesting.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 02:21:46 pm »

Considering mankind's behaviors with great powers, I think it's a pretty rational reason to lock such capabilities, and obscure it into oblivion to ensure the safety of mankind and rebuild after some heavy destruction. Some jackass must've summoned a meteor to end everything. Plus, we can't let secret societies get off the hook with their odd behaviors. Who knows? They might be spending eons trying to unlock their potential. Some may have achieved it, and are just dicking with us with what power they have found.
I was asking for a rational explanation of why you think such "powers" ever existed at all, not why somebody would hide them.
Oh, that? Meh, reality is unrealistic at times. Something like magic at this level, why not?

I guess that isn't really too rational.

doomchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 03:35:22 pm »

Oh, that? Meh, reality is unrealistic at times. Something like magic at this level, why not?

I guess that isn't really too rational.

Yeah, not really.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2011, 05:35:52 pm »

i doubt magic would be capable of being destroyed. once its created. either we will consumed by all matter consuming grey goo/smart matter. or we will be able to model entire buildings like modeling in maya except in real life. in other words magic would be all consuming and all present after it's creation.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 05:40:49 pm by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2011, 05:40:59 pm »

or we will be able to model entire buildings like one models in maya.
You mean Rapid prototyping on hectometer scale?

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »

rapid prototyping on a virtually unlimited scale only limited by how much matter/energy you have in the universe. you could model an entire planet.
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2011, 06:07:29 pm »

rapid prototyping on a virtually unlimited scale only limited by how much matter/energy you have in the universe. you could model an entire planet.
Why stop there? You're already breaking the second law of thermodynamics, why not break the first as well?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »

i doubt magic would be capable of being destroyed. once its created. either we will consumed by all matter consuming grey goo/smart matter. or we will be able to model entire buildings like modeling in maya except in real life. in other words magic would be all consuming and all present after it's creation.

Grey Goo or a White Stone
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »

UPDATE: magic just sprung into existence. well played OP.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2011, 02:05:37 am »

Man it's all there. 2012. The world ends, A NEW ONE BEGINS.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5