Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I slaughter these damned warthogs?  (Read 1570 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
How do I slaughter these damned warthogs?
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:29:59 am »

Right now they're just wasting cages.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I slaughter these damned warthogs?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 12:31:42 am »

Put then into a pit, give one of your militiamen a training weapon, and let him or her use that pig as a live training dummy.q

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:35:52 am »

Are they hostile? If not then restrain them with rope or chain, you can then set them for slaughter.
Well they have to be tamed first I think? But not adopted as pets.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:00:05 am »

Death-pit them.  5 Z's should do nicely.  Bonus points if you put your favorite dwarves near the bottom, so they'll gain "Doesn't really care about anything" and become immune to tantrums.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:03:15 am »

Death-pit them.  5 Z's should do nicely.  Bonus points if you put your favorite dwarves near the bottom, so they'll gain "Doesn't really care about anything" and become immune to tantrums.

How would they get that from this?...
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:11:11 am »

Dwarves get that when exposed to a lot of death and violence, they become desensitized.  Thus, drop kittens or warthogs on them.  Let them watch the corpses splatter and the bones separate from body.  Soon enough they'll be blank and thoughtless workers, shrugging off tragedy and strolling through their fellows' blood pools on their way to grab another bar of steel.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:54:23 am »

Dwarves get that when exposed to a lot of death and violence, they become desensitized.  Thus, drop kittens or warthogs on them.  Let them watch the corpses splatter and the bones separate from body.  Soon enough they'll be blank and thoughtless workers, shrugging off tragedy and strolling through their fellows' blood pools on their way to grab another bar of steel.

... that

thx for the signature
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 10:32:48 am »

Warthogs are [PET_EXOTIC] in the raws, and there isn't any way to mark them for butchering.  If you go into the raws for your save, you can change that to [PET].  Then you can butcher them like any other potential pet animal.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 09:50:46 pm »

So we could use an arena like the Ancient Romans did, to keep the people's killer instinct on edge?  ;)
Memento Mori

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:55:19 pm »

Sounds fun.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »

Indeed, but instead of gladiatorial fights with an audience (They'd only get scared and run around like idiots because they don't have a firm grasp on what is or is not safe for them.) you drop pigs from a few pits above your dining room and they can watch in horror for a few minutes, then go back to eating and ignore the blood splatter. Unless they're idle, then they get to clean up the blood repeatedly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 10:01:33 pm »

Bonus points: the walls cannot be cleaned, so your dining room halls will be coated in blood.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 02:21:21 am »

Bonus points: the walls cannot be cleaned, so your dining room halls will be coated in blood.
And then engraved. Very dwarfish!
Finis sanctificat media.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 02:31:33 am »

5 levels fall won't do, sure. 10 levels maybe, I don't know. 15-20 levels is what I recommend.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 04:03:12 am »

5 levels fall won't do, sure. 10 levels maybe, I don't know. 15-20 levels is what I recommend.
5 levels is enough. We're also training soldiers.
Finis sanctificat media.