Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is better?  (Read 1420 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
What is better?
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:48:51 pm »

So with the new metal scarcity I might actually be putting non-metal armor to good use. So what is better? Leather, bone, shell or wood?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: What is better?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:54:57 pm »

Generally, cloth - leather - wood - bone - metal, but it also depends on the wood.  Not all wood is made equal.  Overall though, hard protection works better than any soft protection, so wood armor is debatably better than adamantine clothing.  Just keep in mind that leather is the only thing dwarves can uniformly work with.  Bone and shell aren't available for all armor types, and wood is only crafted by elves.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:41:24 am »

I like using Wood armor until I can slowly filter up enough iron.  It gives the elves a use, and makes it that much more unjust when I manage to slay them later.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:04:31 am »

Generally, cloth - leather - wood - bone - metal, but it also depends on the wood.  Not all wood is made equal.  Overall though, hard protection works better than any soft protection, so wood armor is debatably better than adamantine clothing.  Just keep in mind that leather is the only thing dwarves can uniformly work with.  Bone and shell aren't available for all armor types, and wood is only crafted by elves.

You can't make leather gauntlets.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:07:19 am »

Is leather better protecting against blunt weaponry?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 06:59:48 am »

I had no idea bone/wood armour was even useful =/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:59:31 pm »

I have a huge copper ore or is it silver with 20% of copper vein to use.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:02:07 pm »

You know what is better?  Descriptive thread titles.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 09:07:45 pm »

I definitely prefer Classic to Lite.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:18:20 pm »

Really the conundrum of this thread is a great example of why I love the new metal system, it forces you to actually consider other armor types.

Seriously, raise of hands, how many people regularly used anything other then metal armor (at least for the armor types where metal is an option)?

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to the caravan upgrades to make it so we can buy metal more effectively, however its nice not to just basically jump from 'no armor' to 'steel armor' with minimal effort.

-MB

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 09:25:32 pm »

I only used masterwork steel, I admit.  Very easy to get a high master armorsmith after a few migrant waves, and then spam out some steel until you get masterpieces.  I'm overall enjoying the amount of thought and "scraping together resources" right now.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 09:29:07 pm »

I rarely produced armor, especially not masterwork by any means. My militia scrounges off the goblins that dodge into the pit o' doom at the entrance.

Just go for wooden shields and breastplates and boots from the elves, bone leggings, helms, and gauntlets, and make leather cloaks, socks and robes for your troops as an under-layer. Then salvage iron from the goblins and smelt it for steel, even if flux has to be imported.

This can all be supported by the continual export of animal wools and pottery.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:43:01 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AngelaChristine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 09:56:38 pm »

It often takes me years to get around to making steel armor. 

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Metal#Weapon_.26_Armor_Quality

If I'm reading the wiki right Silk has the best shear yield and shear fracture of anything but adamantine, which would make it great against cutting weapons if not for the terrible shear elasticity.  Oh well, looks like silk is still a better choice than plant cloth.  Yarn isn't listed yet. 

Bone and shell look the by far the best.  Much better than wood or leather.  If you have a fisherman that keeps pulling up stacks of mussels or turtles, you are set.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 10:04:10 am »

I added the wool entry to the wiki.  The animal raws say that wool is hair, so I used the material raws for that.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 02:42:50 am »

I only used masterwork steel, I admit.  Very easy to get a high master armorsmith after a few migrant waves, and then spam out some steel until you get masterpieces.  I'm overall enjoying the amount of thought and "scraping together resources" right now.

Yeah, I'm in the same place.  I was enjoying it so much that I actually embarked on an aquifer to up the ante.

And despite having absolutely no stone and barely having enough junk to buy everything I need from the cravans, I'm about to round out my second autumn and I have almost 60 dwarves already.  I think I underestimated the value of cooked meals.

Trying to figure out how to do everything without any stone is a hoot; I've deforested the entire surface and I"m still fighting.  I think I'll be doing this more often, and I'm actually starting to hope that metal levels aren't tweaked up much in the next version.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.
Pages: [1] 2