Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: tree farm  (Read 1492 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
tree farm
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:38:47 pm »

Alright, so I dug out an entire layer(Well, mostly) of clay loam in .18, and I plan to tree farm. I've breached one cavern layer; will addtional cavern layers increase the amount of trees that grow?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: tree farm
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:39:43 pm »

I think so since some only appear in the low caverns
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:49:53 pm »

Make sure there's mud nearby.  Underground trees grow on mud, or near mud.  Your traditional farm area, if expanded and left empty, will make a great tree farm since the farms themselves are muddy, and encourage tree growth nearby.  You can gather plants too, which frees up more of the area for trees to grow.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:50:58 pm »

Make sure there's mud nearby.  Underground trees grow on mud, or near mud.  Your traditional farm area, if expanded and left empty, will make a great tree farm since the farms themselves are muddy, and encourage tree growth nearby.  You can gather plants too, which frees up more of the area for trees to grow.

I have not muddied the clay loam, and the trees are growing there, along with all the underground crop "Bushes".

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:52:26 pm »

Muddy it increases the yield massively.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 11:55:50 pm »

Muddying also allows growth on stone, in my experience.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:01:30 am »

Muddy it increases the yield massively.

ORLY? Are you SURREEE?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:02:37 am »

Some schrooms can grow on stone, but muddying cavern floors not only provides more opportunity for a greater variety of mushrooms, but it won't detract from the ones that can grow on stone too I think.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:03:43 am »

Some schrooms can grow on stone, but muddying cavern floors not only provides more opportunity for a greater variety of mushrooms, but it won't detract from the ones that can grow on stone too I think.

It's gonna be awfully dangerous to irrigate this, I hope your right about this yield increasing!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 12:05:12 am »

It's gonna be awfully dangerous to irrigate this, I hope your right about this yield increasing!

Why would it be dangerous? It's not like you're going to operate the pump.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 12:06:16 am »

As I understand it, you'll also want a herbalist to gather up all the shrubs as well.  The shrubs block potential tree growing spots.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:06:45 am »

maybe he's using the river and a floodgate method?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 12:08:37 am »

Im doing a river + Floodgate + Fortifacations. Mainly, I have an entire Z level to irrigate, and said Z level contains stairs to my fort. Of, not an ENTIRE z level, but half of it

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:09:56 am »

Include hatches over your stairs (or remove them entirely) and add drainage chutes in the rear.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 12:10:37 am »

Im doing a river + Floodgate + Fortifacations. Mainly, I have an entire Z level to irrigate, and said Z level contains stairs to my fort. Of, not an ENTIRE z level, but half of it
build walls and doors around your staircase
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.
Pages: [1] 2