Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The most immersive plot based, real emotion game you know.  (Read 9716 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: The most immersive plot based, real emotion game you know.
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2011, 03:36:42 am »

The Path

/thread
Isn't that the game about several girls being raped in the woods?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2011, 03:56:36 am »

The Path

/thread

Nope, it's the game that a few unimaginative people who completely missed the point assumed was about several girls being raped in the woods.  The true meaning varies for each player.  No matter how pretentious that sounds, it's true.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2011, 04:02:29 am »

The Path

/thread

Nope, it's the game that a few unimaginative people who completely missed the point assumed was about several girls being raped in the woods.  The true meaning varies for each player.  No matter how pretentious that sounds, it's true.
I didn't actually play the game, so I can only repeat what I was told. :)

Which was that it was half an hour of wandering in a mostly empty wooded area with invisible walls around it followed by the inevitable death of each girl.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2011, 04:18:44 am »

The Path

/thread

I didn't actually play the game, so I can only repeat what I was told. :)

Which was that it was half an hour of wandering in a mostly empty wooded area with invisible walls around it followed by the inevitable death of each girl.

Eh, I'm not sure if anyone dies at all.  They didn't in my mind, although they may in yours.  It's the kind of thing that 'twitch' gamers won't enjoy.  I'm not even really sure it's a game to be honest.  It is utterly beautiful, emotional, immersive, unsettling, calming, serene and terrifying though.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2011, 04:27:14 am »

EDIT: Note:  If you intend to play through this, read up on it as little as possible.  Even that wikipedia page contains spoilers.

The Path

/thread
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Path_%28video_game%29 <- nothing about rape
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 04:46:13 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2011, 04:31:14 am »

Note:  If you intend to play through this, read up on it as little as possible.  Even that wikipedia page contains spoilers.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2011, 04:32:02 am »

I didn't intend to start an argument, I was just asking if that was the same game. Moving along...

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2011, 06:41:50 am »

I Have Candy Get In The Van was pretty good at being emotionally draining with its bad endings.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2011, 06:43:43 am »

It wasn't emotionally draining to me.

I rather enjoyed the stories of the kid's fucked up lives.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2011, 06:58:50 am »

Planescape Torment. The only game that made me shiver. You can feel the pain when he uses his power. The story is magnificient and really thats the only game that can make you FEEL like a total ass if you act like a total ass. As a plus, If you are evil, you are not shoehorned in a stupid ''kill everyone'' stupid evil style, you can use your wits and really screw up other peoples lives. And if you do that you may end up hating yourself.

So again, if you likd bladurs gate 2, It's much more story driven, so much that combat feels like an aftertought, and you will be glad for it.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2011, 07:03:05 am »

I've been through some D&D campaigns that were pretty immersive and emotionally involving.
You could look into that, if it's your thing.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2011, 07:03:37 am »

The Longest Journey: Dreamfall.
An adventure game, with a rather unimaginative gameplay, but the story is amazing. The vistas are beautiful, the music immersive, the characters believable, and the setting imaginative. Left me with a really cathartic feeling by the time the credits roll.
Might help to play the previous installment(The Longest Journey) to get to know some of the characters better.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2011, 07:08:10 am »

The Longest Journey: Dreamfall.
An adventure game, with a rather unimaginative gameplay, but the story is amazing. The vistas are beautiful, the music immersive, the characters believable, and the setting imaginative. Left me with a really cathartic feeling by the time the credits roll.
Might help to play the previous installment(The Longest Journey) to get to know some of the characters better.

Oh god, how could I forget about Dreamfall?
That game is one of the most magnificent pieces of storytelling I've ever seen.

Also :(

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2011, 08:15:35 am »

System Shock 2. Yes, you're only interacting with others via their abandoned diary entries, but the atmosphere and storyline were well-crafted, and the use of sound in that game was extraordinary. No other game will freeze your blood just by hearing the soft cooing of a monkey.

Beyond that, the Final Fantasy series has always been pretty good at actually pulling at the heartstrings successfully with the death of major characters. It was actually well-played in X-2, when you had to go back and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The use of very spare, melancholy piano music in place of the usual battle music was a nice touch.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2011, 11:06:16 am »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was quite immersive, and very well made. Starcon 2: The Ur-Quan Masters had an excellent plot, and real emotion, it's hard to tell. I'm not really affected by games all that much in those regards. I mean, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. had it's atmosphere, but I am generally a hunter and a looting type (so I'm not creeped out that easily, especially if loot is involved), and I also tend to give myself little challenges here and there (like goomba-stomping a bloodsucker, or wearing light armor most the time) or doing silly things like luring boars and other NPCs into anomalies.

Another candidate for immersion and plot has to be the X-Wing series (especially with the plot included) as well as the Mechwarrior (not Mech-Assault) series. Lots of buttons, lots of involvement, lots of piloting skill necessary to go through, and a good handling of a joystick is necessary. When big battles come along, you're really feeling desperate to survive, or spare as much of your crap as possible (especially if you're playing as a leader in the Mechwarrior games, where you have to manage what you have, pay for repairs, and etc.), but the salvages by bonus missions and etc. were damn worth the trouble in the long run (Salvaging an Atlas or Thor mech anyone?). With X-wing (Alliance, or Tie Fighter), the giant battle scenes (Death Star missions, for example) are truly immersive, and you're just hoping you don't run into a starship accidentally while taking on a squad of TIEs while another squad is chasing you; all while a Star Destroyer is shooting at you and a Calamari Cruiser at the same time.

EDIT:
Great, now I want to continue my game of Tie Fighter or try to get MW2:M running again. I miss my Warhawk; and in Tie Fighter, in no more than 2-3 missions, I'm a freaking lieutenant already, and in a good seat in the Emperor's secret service.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:21:54 am by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6