Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The most immersive plot based, real emotion game you know.  (Read 9722 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The most immersive plot based, real emotion game you know.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 01:42:47 pm »

Amnesia was the only game that really immersed me.  Other games just don't do it for me.
Shoes...

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »

Demons Souls and Shadow of the Colossus. I don't understand why anybody picked Fahrenheit, as I didn't find the sudden (and crazy) plot shift to be immersive.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »

I have to say, the absolute best I've experienced in immersion is with interactive fiction, World's Apart, and Blue Lacuna, are the ones that spring to my mind first, but I'm sure there's others I've played that have drawn me in. Anyway, I really think anyone who hasn't should try those two. Interactive fiction can be a bit tough for people not used to typing/reading a lot, but they make for some really great games.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 03:59:58 pm »

The Void. You pretend to have emotions and feelings, and then women take their clothes off and dance for you.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 04:16:41 pm »

Amnesia was the only game that really immersed me.  Other games just don't do it for me.

Me too.  I can't think of any other game where I was quite so interested in learning more about the main character as a person. 

Probably also the only game where I felt so compelled to stare so intently at a torch thinking it was so nice and safe and keeping me sane.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 04:22:28 pm »

Planescape : Torment (great story)
Vampire the masquerade : Bloodlines  got me very immersed (but it could be that i was just in the mood for that)
maybe also Neverwinter Nights because i really liked Lady Aribeth (but it has very obvious flaws and i guess it wouldnt create emotion for everyone).
Oh and i remember Far Cry as being pretty immersive, while not exactly based on emotion :p.

I guess thats it, off the top of my head
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:26:25 pm by Sirian »

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »

Iji (Can't believe nobody posted it yet)

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »

KoToR and KoToR II were really the only games that compelled me to fight through the horribleness of the game, to find the ending that I probobly knew was going to happen before I even started playing it for the 12th time... I have problems with that seeries...

But really, I liked the Fable seeries, not necessarily the first for the second requirement, but the 3rd seriously almost made me cry, even though again, I knew the ending before I got there. Have yet to beat the second one, but I probobly know the end to that as well. Especially since the third game is the next generation of your hero in the second one...

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 11:17:56 pm »

Mafia (the first one). I played it intensively and finished it within a week but it left a lasting impression.

Oh yeah man.  I got it on the Steam sale when it was like a dollar or something, very fun considering that it was made 9 years ago.  I'd also go with KotOR I and II as well, really enjoyed the stories.  I played the first Fable but just didn't get as interested in it as some of my friends did.  They would replay it over and over getting all the ending and what not, I finished it once and just didn't find it interesting enough to replay. 

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 11:18:57 pm »

Iji (Can't believe nobody posted it yet)

Gotta second this. It was easy to get into the main character's shoes considering her personality wasn't the generic "yeah, these are my problems, see, they're right here! NOW LET'S GO SAVE THE WORLD" type. Heck, she sort of became what you made her... and not in the "your actions are what they are" sense. If you killed enough, she would be okay with killing. The characters were somewhat emotional, too, you felt bad for some of the bad guys, to the point where I attempted a pacifist run.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 01:42:42 am »

Iji, and Shadow of The Colossus.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 01:45:31 am »

I would warn anyone who absolutely detests quicktime events in any circumstance off of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. I don't mind it so much since, due to the nature of the game, the events are integral parts of the gameplay, rather than thrown at you randomly mixed in with gameplay where such events never show up.

I liked Indigo Prophecy, for the most part, but I did get the impression that the game wasn't quite finished when released. It feels like the ending is very compressed to meet their release date.

Well put, although I haven't played Heavy Rain.  To be honest, they aren't video games in the conventional sense...more interactive movies, as mentioned in the tutorial.

And yes, Indigo Prophecy seemed badly done towards the end.  Fantastic for the first 2/3s, though.

KG
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:40:59 am by kg333 »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 02:35:47 am »

Pathologic. Nobody said it had to be a positive emotion.
The Void. You pretend to have emotions and feelings, and then women take their clothes off and dance for you.
You forgot the part about you killing their boyfriends because they wanted their women to stay modest.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 03:28:19 am »

Yeah, Pathologic wins for sheer negative emotion-ness. As far as immersion is concerned, I'd like to support Shadow of the Colossus. A little odd, coming from a PC player, but since I'm a PC player with a good enough PC to run it, I quite liked the interface-less design and story presentation, not to mention the most epic boss battles I've seen just about anywhere.

Of PC games, I guess the little-known A.I.M. (and A.I.M. 2) would be the ones I remember most. You're playing as a mechanoid, an artificial AI in a ball, flying a hovercraft-like glider. At its heart it's a typical action-rpg, but the setting is unique enough that the usual genre conventions don't break suspension of disbelief that much. The story is rather interesting as well.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2011, 04:28:59 am »

Shadow of the Colossus was great... Ico too.  Mafia, Morrowind, Homeworld definitely.  The Void hasn't really pulled me in emotionally but then I haven't gotten very far yet.  I'm trying to think of the best one though and I'm having a lot of trouble.  Baldur's Gate 2 was a notable one for me, but I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that it was the first heavily story driven game I ever played.  And it kinda ruined Bioware game for me as none of them have ever quite matched up to it in my opinion.

I'll just mention some that haven't been mentioned yet.  Frederik Pohl's Gateway and it's sequel.  They were a couple of Legend Entertainment's IF games that used text parsers plus illustrations and they're based on the novel of the same name by, you guessed it, Frederik Pohl.  Those games were really atmospheric and really pulled me in.

Another series I think really desperately needs to be mentioned is The Longest Journey, and it's sequel Dreamfall by Funcom.  They have really likable characters and a really interesting world and story, and the voice acting is actually really good too.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6