Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seriously Fun stuff to try in 0.31.19  (Read 2469 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Seriously Fun stuff to try in 0.31.19
« on: February 21, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »

Now a lot of people have complained, and a lot of us are still trying things. And who knows, it might be the standard odd-numbered release that gets alpha tested by us. There are some fun things to try though (I haven't done most of these yet).

#1. Animal attack. Put (designate/assign) animals in a tiny pasture. Wait until they're pissed off. Don't quite let them starve. Remove pasture. Re-designate/assign them to the pasture nearest the most amusing thing to have milk-able animals attack. Try it with other animals. Attack of the birds or just annoyed, dwarf-hating geese?

#2. Nest box training. If danger rooms are too cheesy for you, open the caverns and put a bunch of nest boxes near there. Move a military squad next to the nest boxes and watch the fun begin. Alligator roasts for your prized military butchers. Bonus weapon skills for using crappy weapons as well :).

#3.  Can a dwarf fight with wooden weapons? I haven't checked the raws, but elves seem to be doing fine in world gen. Are exceptional/masterwork wooden weapons the new copper pick of 0.31.19?

What other fun things have people found about 0.31.19 and its new features? Bugs are features too :).
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously Fun stuff to try in 0.31.19
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:50:25 pm »

So yeah, what are your twisted, messed up, Fun things to try?

Even for others.

A lot.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:51:57 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 03:31:26 am »

Use magma as a torch and grass as a fuse.  Cordon off the other areas with constructed floors.

Now get some venom or some other source of syndromes in a barrel, probably from the crazy crap traders bring sometimes.  Use the fuses to set them off and create poison smoke....

!!FUN!!
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:06:32 am »

Use magma as a torch and grass as a fuse.  Cordon off the other areas with constructed floors.

Now get some venom or some other source of syndromes in a barrel, probably from the crazy crap traders bring sometimes.  Use the fuses to set them off and create poison smoke....

!!FUN!!

Ooooooh, does Venom work that way?  Maybe I should start grabbing it, then...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:03:26 pm »

Your dwarfs HAVE to pull your animals to pasture lands. If you want an annoyed animal to bite the hand that feeds it, then by all means.

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:20:53 pm »

Nest box training sounds like a fantastic idea. I'll try it when I get the chance.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 03:39:32 pm »

!!FUN!!

Ooooooh, does Venom work that way?  Maybe I should start grabbing it, then...

In theory, yes.  And it's certainly worth testing.  What else would you do with barrels of venom, anyhow?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:23:38 am by Uristocrat »
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 04:29:40 pm »

How about the rediculously catapulted entrance? (3 catapults + a really long corridor X5)  Stone age squad defense.  Use traded iron for ballista fuel and eventually military.Probably need 3 miners just to keep those catapult trainers running ;)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 11:12:13 pm »

Will catapult shots go over any dwarves and ballistas right in front of them without hurting anything?

KProject

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 11:14:43 pm »

Catapult shots don't hurt dwarves or tame animals.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:19:40 pm »

Catapult shots don't hurt dwarves or tame animals.
So I could line a dozen of them in a hallway, firing at will, while doing my regular tour of duty without worry of harming my dwarves?  :o

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 12:54:35 am »

hmm, that's a question, will a ballista block a catapult shot, though?