Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Second Major Earthquake has occured in the city of Christchurch in New Zealand  (Read 2772 times)

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile

Another major quake has just hit the city of Christchurch and the news currently is that there has been major damage to much of the city, there is no news yet as to possible injuries or death. The government has activated it's civil defence but communication with the city is limited. The fear is quite large as it's during the most active part of the cities day.

More news to come as it arrives.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile

There have been unconfirmed reports of fatalities and a number of reports about people trapped in collapsed buildings and under rubble.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile

Deaths have been confirmed. The Cathedral has collapsed, and many people were trapped inside. Some died on impact, the mother of a friend of mine among them.

I have two grandparents and three friends who may as well be my sisters in Christchurch. I have no way to contact any of them.

I'm terrified.
くコ:彡

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile

A police report has been released that appears to confirm multiple fatalities around the city, including 2 buses that have been crushed. Most buildings in the city are being evacuated and people are being moved out of the central city area.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile

A number of aftershocks have been reported as causing further structural damage to buildings in the city, live footage shows a scene of major destruction and dust obscuring much of the city. The liquefaction in the city is also leading to problems with transport and communications.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Thoughts are with all Kiwis, especially the B12'ers there. Trying to remember who all is down there... :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia

A_fey_dwarf is one.  Pm'd him already.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Unless my memory has gone bad already, Jackrabbit also lives somewhere in New Zealand, but may or may not actually be in the country at the moment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

It saddens me to hear this. What support/releif programs are being set up? Are they baddly required?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh man, not Christchurch. :<

I'm not in New Zealand right now, and even if I were I'd be in Auckland, but this is still pretty terrible to hear.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile

Right now they're just trying to get as many people out alive as possible. The earthquakes only happened three hours ago. I live about 30k away in a straight line from the epicentre, and it was shaking the whole building.
くコ:彡

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile

Unless my memory has gone bad already, Jackrabbit also lives somewhere in New Zealand, but may or may not actually be in the country at the moment.

Jack's NZ, but he lives over here in Oz.

Aussie PM has pledged any available resource to help, and has already dispatched at least one S&R team. Quote went something like 'If there is anything they need that we have, we will get it to them'.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Australia has pretty much said were going to do what ever is required to help out. The US of A has also pledged support.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

It's sounding pretty bad. Reports have said "They've run out of ambulances."
Praying for all New Zealanders right now. I hope aid gets to Christchurch as soon as possible.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile

The number of confirmed casualties stands at 75, there a up to 300 people who are still missing but many of this number will just be people who have lost touch with their families. Aid has been arriving around the clock from the world especially from Australia. There have been a number of people rescued from the two worst hit buildings, including a pocket of 15 people found alive but not yet rescued. A national state of emergency has been declared and the the armed forces are mobilised and supporting the local Emergency Services (Thankfully there were a number of our major naval ships in the Christchurch area as an exercise had been planned. Thank you to everyone whose countries have sent aid and Search and Rescue teams, your support is greatly appreciated.
Pages: [1] 2