Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a new low  (Read 1036 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
a new low
« on: February 21, 2011, 06:49:57 pm »

I just started a new .18 fort (haven't upgraded to .19 yet). It was a rough start. Much of the meat I embarked with rotted because I didn't get it out of the quantum dump fast enough. Farming got a late start because the river was frozen for most of the spring. Food ran out soon because I forgot to process the quarry bush leaves, and some of the dwarves were eating vermin to fill their bellies. The dwarven caravan had come and gone and I was about to start up my metal industry, only to realize I somehow didn't have an anvil. I had already had a few snatchers which succeeded in stealing a star ruby and 2 children, so I hastily drafted my 2 miners into the militia and set up a danger room. Lacking an anvil, I resorted to crafting leather armor, only to find out I somehow didn't have any of that either. So I had to quickly make some bolts and a crossbow to give to some dwarf so he could hunt. I got 2 groundhog leather armor made up for my miners before the first ambush, coming in behind the elves. Some mostly useless dwarf died revealing the ambush, so I sent out the miners. Though highly skilled in fighting and mining, I was worried about their safety. Lucky for me, picks made from something as cheap as copper are still mighty weapons, and they slaughtered half of the ambush, causing the remaining goblins to run like scared little elves. And now, I find myself buying wooden armor from the tree hugging hippies. And now my bonecrafter is asking for shells.

Fun indeed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:01:19 pm by Lagslayer »

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a new low
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:55:55 pm »

You sure you're not playing .19?  sounds like a typical imbark from that version to me.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 07:57:12 pm »

i had to hold off a siege once with no armor but the turtle shell helmets id been making "for the hell of it" just to keep my legendary bone crafter busy.
none of us died from head wounds...
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 07:58:55 pm »

I'm sure.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:03:48 pm »

I had my first megabeast encounter when I was still getting the militia up.

It cured me of my 40d-acquired habit of forging the armour first.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:58:22 pm »

The crisis is over. The death toll:

2 children snatched
1 dwarf died revealing an ambush
1 bonecrafter went berserk from a failed mood because I didn't have any shells
1 armorsmith went stark raving mad from a failed mood because I couldn't make a metalsmith's forge, and right before the dwarven caravan showed up

It was fun. I sort of feel bad it's coming to a close.

One more question, though. The snatched children were never removed from dwarf therapist. Is this an indication that when they return, it will create a loyalty cascade amongst the goblins?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:59:48 pm by Lagslayer »

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 05:55:02 pm »

One more question, though. The snatched children were never removed from dwarf therapist. Is this an indication that when they return, it will create a loyalty cascade amongst the goblins?
That's a known bug of DT.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."