Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anyone who's in the know, know this?  (Read 1239 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
anyone who's in the know, know this?
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:45:05 pm »

are there plans in the works to make musical instruments matter?
i want to assign dwarves to songwriting and band practice labors so bad i can taste it.
and you just KNOW dwarves would carve sheet music into slabs of stone rather than flimsy paper, or maybe even engrave it on walls.

so,
anyone know?

it hurts a little worse every time the elves bring some masterwork harp and i don't buy it from them cause "what the hell am I gonna do with it?"
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Re: anyone who's in the know, know this?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:12:37 pm »

Would be nice with some troubadour dorfs for the royal court. Just to add pleasant thoughts and fill the waiting while the brewers haul in more mead. ;D
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:15:30 pm »

You could make wind instruments out of hazardous materials and sell them to the elves.

Like those lead mugs...

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:20:07 pm »

Nobody except The Toady is in the know, so we'll have to wait...

I always made rock instruments for awesomeness, but if they could be used, I'd build Metalfortress the Fortress of Metal or something... ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:21:30 pm »

With a little modding, you can make a workshop that turns instruments into different things, any perhaps, with some high end modding make one that makes a dwarf get a happy thought? Dunno if it is possible, though, mostly because I have never heard of a workshop that causes negative or positive moods.

OR, maybe make a workshop that requires a TON of instruments and make it have a job that produces mist? Thus the "sound" and "music" would make dwarves happy?

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 06:24:19 pm »

Possible, though this kinda bridges over to the Suggestions side of things.  Anyways yes, music should and probably will become part of Dwarf Fortress later, as an activity Dwarves can engage in.  Here's how I think it will work;

Facts -
* A Musician Dwarf is dedicated to elevating happiness levels by playing music on various instruments.  Music skill level is trained by a Dwarf playing or 'rehearsing' music, and affects the happy thought generated.  It's not very powerful, but exceptionally good music would give a fairly strong happy thought.
* A Venue is needed for a Dwarf to perform.  To create a music area you must construct a bandstand or other venue, then create a room from it.  When it comes time, a special 'party' is held, where a Music-trained Dwarf or one assigned to the stand steps up and plays.  Dwarves may gather around and attend the session if so inclined.  Alternately, music could also be played at a generic party to add another happy thought.
* A Dwarf has a chance to break his instrument if it is of poor quality/material, and also if the Dwarf playing it has poor skill.

Pros -
* Music-inclined Dwarves gain a happy thought when they hear good music.
* The playing Dwarf gets a happy thought if the instrument he's using is made of good material, or the venue is of good quality.\
* Good music may induce happy feelings of being drunk in Dwarves who hear it.

Cons -
* Music creates large amounts of noise, which may wake Dwarves up.
* Music-inclined Dwarves may gain an unhappy thought if they hear bad music.
* Bad music may cause otherwise happily drunk Dwarves to sober up.

As you can guess the last two of each are just a joke.  But anyways, that's how it might work, but there are probably quite a few different ways.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 06:32:05 pm »

This is expected to happen eventually, perhaps as part of the caravan arc (where we are now) because having a band working at the inn is just logical!  And inns are expected to be implemented here, which will function along with Dwarven Economy and larger caravans who may want a place to sleep, as well as random travelers.  Regardless of all that, it's definitely in the pipe, but is considered a bit low-priority, compared to things like hospital bugfixes and actual caravans.  So, don't hold your breath too long while waiting.

Inkster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lost in time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:34:25 pm »

It was mentioned in a dwarf fortress talk (though I don't remember the number) that instruments and toys would be usable by dwarfs in the future.

Skivverus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:41:29 pm »

While we're thinking of it, though, ideas for how the thoughts would look:
Happy thoughts of playing dwarves: "Urist was satisfied at work recently."
Happy thoughts of listening dwarves: "Urist listened to a fine/fantastic/legendary/etc. performance recently."
Unhappy thoughts of listening dwarves (e.g.: if the ballad is poorly performed, or is on a topic the dwarf dislikes - kinda like engravings): "Urist had to listen to a poor/horrendous/etc. performance recently."

"Venues" are a good idea, I think; lets you keep your aspiring or established musicians away from the sleeping quarters.
Or next to them, if you're cruel.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 06:42:21 pm »

War drums?  ;D

Goblins currently have drums assigned as their only musical instrument.
If they can't break into your fort during a siege, they could sit outside and drum, lowering Dwarf morale.

Precedent:
They have taken the bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes, drums... drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow lurks in the dark. We can not get out... they are coming.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 06:46:06 pm »

IMO Randomly generated songs would be a must. Obviously they would sound terrible 99.99% of the time, but it would still be cool. Songs that are composed well(From the dwarves point of view of course, not ours. Happy thoughts and such.) would catch on an be played more often.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 06:59:03 pm »

Toady has already promised threatened us with randomly generated dwarven poetry, let's not go into the ear-raping fiasco that would be dwarven music.  Keep it ASCII folks, where it's safe and silent...

Also, I like to think that the goblins will bring war drums.  Constant thrumming, assaulting your dwarves through the very stones, luring them into pace, as they walk in time to the drums and find themselves keeping pace.  The dwarves, for their effort, set their own -Cat Bone Piccolo- band on the battlements, and retaliate the noise.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 07:13:06 pm »

Toady has already promised threatened us with randomly generated dwarven poetry, let's not go into the ear-raping fiasco that would be dwarven music.  Keep it ASCII folks, where it's safe and silent...
oh NO
i in no way want to HEAR these songs through my speakers.
oh GOD NO!

i just want to know that Urist McListener can hear it and Ekash McJukeboxhero gets to live his dreams.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!