Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: JestedPassage - succession fortress  (Read 2291 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
JestedPassage - succession fortress
« on: February 21, 2011, 05:41:22 pm »

JestedPassage
A Succession Fortress

I just picked up dwarf fortress again, downloaded version 0.39.19 (legacy), and started my latest fortress, JestedPassage. I'm very glad I did this, the first two months in game were just, well, I was unprepared for what happened, and the badassery of my expedition leader. But now I've reached spring of next year, the 1st of Granite, and I think it would be fun to see what other people do with this.

I'm going to keep playing the fort, but I won't reveal anything that happens in my game on this thread. So it's kind of like an alternate reality, what if this were a succession fort? hehe, anyway on with business.

The Embark

JestedPassage was set up in an evil desert biome, for the most part camels and buzzards are the only thing around here, but every once in a while you get nightwings trying to pillage your neck of its blood. To be more accurate towards the biome, it's described as a 'rocky wasteland', either way, there are very few trees outside. On the West side of the map, the ground is all fire clay (for pottery), and there are no trees, to the East, it's all various colors of sand (for glass). The north has hills, and the south has a river running through it.

The World / FPS considerations

It's a medium world, I created it with three caverns, magma sea, and the spoiler level, I know many people think three caverns and the spoilers hurt FPS and are unnecessary, so take note that FPS may not be completely optimal. The magma sea is only about 43 levels down though, so its not all bad.

This is version 0.39.19 legacy (see above), it was slightly modded by me, the only thing I did was mod out aquifers because I hate them (there's a mudstone and conglomerate layer, I'm betting one would have been an aquifer if the soil layers didn't do that). I've got weather and temperature turned on, you can turn those off if you want.

For passing saves, I'm uploading the whole game file, not just the region, that way you can either find the region and extract it or unzip the entire thing if the former doesn't work.

Also, I used Dwarf Therapist, so all the jobs are very organized, people who sign up can use it too if they so wish.

First year Journal
written by Asen, the expedition leader.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah I'm not the best writer.

Anway...

Turn List
(Completed)(In Progress)(Passed)(Skipped)
  • Darkrider
  • billybobfred
  • Ringmaster
  • Ahasver

link to the jestedpassage save

edit: Almost forgot. Normal succession rules. You play a year in game, and if there's no reply in a week we pass it to the next person. Turns can be extended by vote of the players waiting if necessary, depending on the individual level of awesome that that turn has shown so far. If a player completely screws over the fortress, then the next player can choose to go off of a previous save, or be in charge of the reclaim.

No walling yourself off from the world. No DFHack.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:33:04 pm by darkrider2 »

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: JestedPassage - succession fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:20:20 am »

I'll take the first year. Second. Whatever.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 07:16:24 pm »

(So I haven't been able to actually play yet. Stuff came up. I might be able to crank out my year today, though.)

to: the Mountainhomes of Mosus Sezuk, "The Room of Slapping"
re: status of outpost Lumencustith, "Jestedpassage"
date: 1st Granite, 152

First thing I notice as I enter the fort is that the farms are all lying fallow. There's no way the fort survived a year without planting anything, the orders must have been lost in the transition of power. So I issue some new orders. No biggie. Weird, though.

The second thing I notice is that there are plans for a bride just outside the entrance. Thing is, the bridge in question covers nothing, connects nothing, and will block nothing when raised. Also weird. So I cancel the order, and tell them to build a different, more useful bridge.

The trade depot is outside, which is unacceptable. I'm not sure what to do about that, though. Is that wave of anti-wagon sentiment still running rampant? Cause if it is, I can dig out a spot just inside the entrance. If that's ended, though... Hrm.

The food stockpile and stills are right next to the farms, which makes sense, in a way... but in another way, is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Well, we can have a stockpile chain thing.

The first level of the fort proper is a generic stockpile.
The second floor is a generic meeting area and some generic closets rooms.
Third is bedrooms. That at least makes sense.
Fourth is some workshops, some offices, and a dining room that has never been officially designated as such.
Starting on the fifth floor, a shaft goes down, through the caverns, and to a room right above the magma sea. For magma forges, I guess.

The entrance is protected by cage traps, so there's at least a measure of protection there. But there are no more cages to reload the things once they're triggered. It's a stopgap measure at best.

As for plans, I'm going to build an Optimized Military Training Facility, get a bookkeeper on counting all the crap this fort has lying around, utilize the magma sea which the previous leader fortuitously located, and hope not to get anyone killed. I'll send my next status report when the season changes.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:28:19 pm »

date: 1st Hematite, 152

So, a troll managed to kill two dwarves. >:(

It's now known as "Pointedsnarls", just to get the point across that YES, it IS dangerous.

But all it does is stand in the cavern area that I dug out for the fort's usage. It's weird. If all it wants to do is stand around, why stand there?

I admit, I forgot that some creatures can knock down locked doors. I though it was safe.

Migrants arrived. Yay. Drafted one. Let the rest sit around because I'm terrible at managing dwarven resources.

A metalcrafter is taken by a mood and claims a mechanic's shop... He has made a mechanism with an image of our king's ascent. As artifacts go, it's medium-tier at best, but the sentiment is good.

Um, I, uh, accidentally the only water source. I think that's bad. (i guess i will just make a new one? i dunno how bad it is if i threw a rotten corpse in the reservoir TOTALLY BY ACCIDENT GUYS particularly since this reservoir is still directly connected to the river)

Some elves arrived, I traded masterwork mechanisms for berries, and that's all that happened this spring.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:41:13 pm »

Sign me up for turn 3.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 09:27:26 pm »

(in this memo, i use swears based on community lingo... well, really just the one two)

date: 1st Limestone, 152

We have no Armok-damned metal. How the circus are we supposed to take down Pointedsnarls if we don't have any weapons? argl blarg foaming rage oh wait we can take the axes from the lumber industry

Making an outdoor farm now. Hope the nightwings don't spore it up for us.

my migration is pastede on yey

AHHHHHH A GHOST

(he scared one of our legendary miners to death! i'm making you a memorial, i swear! i just need a little more time! ;_;)

I've just been asking around, and the miner that was... that died, was the lover of our other legendary miner. Sure hope he doesn't tantrum over this.

Aaaand a nightwing killed a guy. And our military killed a nightwing. Hopefully that's the end of that (ahahahahaha yeah right)

Pointedsnarls has been slain. Sporing finally.

A furnace operator has claimed a craft shop. He wants body parts. Who am I to deny him?

EVERYBODY PANIC

oh armok the burning oh spores this is not good this is not good

help
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 09:33:15 pm by billybobfred »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:51:21 pm »

I guess you could say he's a... (wait for it)... flamer!

ba-dum-tish

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 02:06:56 pm »

date: 1st Moonstone, 152

I apologize for the panicked tone of my previous communication. Mothi had set the floor fungus of the cavern on fire, and it was a very distressing sight.

One of the masons, acting in my, ah, temporary absence, walled off the stairway leading down to the caverns. We're completely safe from Mothi for the time being.

He then hit me over the head with a rock and told me to pull myself together.

I intend to research the best methods for dealing with shelled humanoids made of flame and dispose of Mothi as soon as possible, but as he is a forgotten beast, this will likely take some time.

In the meantime, I'm having the miners dig an alternate passage to the magma foundry.

I'm receiving a lot of reports of dwarves panicking at the sight of Mothi, even though he can't get to us. Damn up/down stairways and their providing visibility. >:(

OH ARMOK NO

HE GOT IN

and then he died

???

As far as I can tell, he didn't even kill anybody. Just lit us up a bit.

Oh, no, wait, one of our military dwarves died. :(

Ohay, we still have no BOOZE because all our barrels are full for some reason. >:(

Oh. Huh. That moody guy still wants crap. Rock bars? ... He means metal, I think. Of course, we don't have either of those things. Aaaand he's gone berserk. Good thing I walled him in.

Brewer cancels Brew Drink: Needs empty barrel x10912348091238 ARMOK DAMMIT I KNOW I AM WORKING ON IT OKAY

Heyyyy, migrants, I DON'T NEED YOU GO AWAY

And, look, someone got killed by a nightwing, WHAT THE ASS WAS HE DOING ALL THE WAY OUT THERE ANYWAY HUH

A child has been possessed by forces unknown!

Another one killed by a nightwing! These things are supposed to be weak!

A caravan! Yay, I think!

More nightwing interruptions, WHY ISN'T MY DEATHSMITH KILLING THEM ARGH DON'T REST, YOU'RE NOT INJURED

Merchants unload their goods. I take all their wood and food.

GAHH MORE DEATHS WAKE UP MILITARY IDIOT YOU

A diplomat has left unhappy. SPORE YOU, DIPLOMAT.

we have a cave crocodile in the basement. he's eating us.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!

I can't wait for my turn!

Ahasver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 03:53:22 pm »

Sounds fun, sign me up.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 05:26:26 pm »

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!

I can't wait for my turn!
Yeah, you can have my winter. I'm really not good at dealing with hostiles like this.

FYI the only available metal ore is tetrahedrite, in the caverns.

Save.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 05:47:10 pm »

Yeah, you can have my winter. I'm really not good at dealing with hostiles like this.

Neither am I, should be FUN.

Downloaded and playing.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 06:00:59 pm »

signing up to watch. -not take a turn-

dorf me if you like. good luck, this seems amusing.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 06:09:40 pm »

just watch out for the cave crocs, I had one kill 23 dwarves before. (this may be due to me mass recruiting them, with no weapons other than their bare hands and then zerg rushing them at the thing...)

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:17:11 pm »

Spoiler: Brief Summation (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2