Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288

Author Topic: CvRTD: End Of The Line  (Read 199096 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: CvRTD: Turn 151 (More Presents; Fun with Poison Gas)
« Reply #4290 on: August 23, 2012, 05:48:30 pm »

Perhaps 'getting rid of' was poor phrasing. What I meant was that all Movement bonuses will just become Defense bonuses, so characters won't actually lose anything with this shift. Perhaps they could be specific Defense bonuses... but I'll worry about that later. Right now I'm gonna go walking, and then get back to work in an hour, hour and a half or so. ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: August 23, 2012, 05:58:51 pm »

Enjoy your exercise. :)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: September 06, 2012, 10:20:24 am »

Caerwyn used Pheonix Down!

It's Super Effective!

Zombie Pheonix Thread: Get!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: September 06, 2012, 11:21:44 am »

I'm right there with you Yoink. I'm too busy to be on the computer much these days and when I am there's other stuff I need to do and I can't seem to find any time to work on my own RTD. :-\

This is still true, unfortunately. My spare time is, in current circumstances, a lot less than it used to be, and I know for sure I'm going to be occupied Friday through Sunday. :-\ I still plan on starting this up again, though. ^^^;
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Spartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: September 06, 2012, 07:12:45 pm »

It's been a long ass time since I've posted on here but I'm interested in coming back. If there's still a spot for Bryan on the waitlist I'd appreciate it. :)
@ Spartan - For some reason I am imaging you as Master Chief sitting at a computer drinking tea, and eating cookies. I don't know why

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: September 17, 2012, 12:04:33 pm »

~Roleplaying Bump! Really overdue, huh? :P~

Many years ago...

The Villagers do not touch this place. It is a graveyard of ill repute.

But a child dares. He is a sad, thin boy. Few friends-an abusive father. He really only seeks solitude. And here we will find it, more than he could ever had wanted.

He will also find a weapon. It will take him many years to learn how to wield it.

In his heart, he only knows pain-and thus, it is all he knows to spread.

The Friar leaned into the blow, smiling grimly.

The wailing Skeletons empty skull was turned into powder by the blur of his mace-it continued to flail blindly for a moment, then it's possessing force fled-the bones clattered to the Earth. Already, though, more were clawing up from the ground. Their numbers seemed limitless-and they were, as long as yonder man lived.

He was a Necromancer-one of middling skill and little wisdom, but he had found something that elevated even his meager skills to terrible heights. He was, in truth, hardly in control of the weapon he wielded-it would consume him as readily as it would countless lives, if unchecked. He was a sad, misguided fool. And still he laughed.

Friar Greenmoore had come alone. There was no coalition of heroes here. Fate had not seen to gather them. His order was gone. His friends were holding their own battles. It was just him. His spells had been exhausted-his shield broken in four places-his armor literally rented from his body. Even his cross had been torn from his neck. He wielded his mace two handed, now. It was just him, now.

This was no time for rumination-merely staying ahead of the thicket of rusted blades, splintered clubs and grasping hands took all his concentration, all his strength. Every blow sapped a bit more of his endurance. He was not a young man anymore-the days where he could power through were gone. He had lived too long-and now moralities whispers slowed his reactions. Not fast enough. Eventually, he would falter-eventually, they would take him into their midst. Yonder village, hardly more than a few dozen farming families, would be the first-the penalty for his failure.

Despair sunk her claws into him-slowly, surely. He began to think...all his past victories, all his triumphs-what did they matter? If, here, now-he could not save them. What had any of it been worth? He had given everything to God and the cause of good. Where was God now? Had it all been...in vain?

There was a tremendous explosion-bones fell in a grim rain. For a moment, the battle paused-even the undead turned to this strange development. Greenmoore saw her first. His daughter. She came from the North.

"...Tala?"

It was her. Long brunette hair-a short woman, but strong-her eyes, hidden by a pair of goggles. She was smiling. And wielding a very odd sort of crossbow. She was in every way the striking image of her mother. His hearts fire rekindled. Weariness fell from his bones. The Necromancers laughter died in his throat. The balance was shifted in a moment.

"Father." She said, conversationally. Then she raised her odd crossbow-it spun, firing explosively tipped bolts at the masses of reanimated bone and sinew. Each blast pushed the horde back, but those that remained closed in on them...

Greenmoore took a deep breath. Then he sprung back into action. He was not weary now-not an old man anymore. He could do anything. No one could stop him. Not while he had faith. They would not touch her. In this moment, he is not fighting for yonder village, or himself, or even God. He's only fighting for his daughter.

Together, they cut a path through the thicket of enemies, laughing and remembering their best years as they slay. They are glorious, not lessened if perhaps, no one was around to see it but they.

The Necromancers weapon was broken. He was broken. The Friar gave him last rites. He was hardly more than a boy.

His daughter stood apart. God had never been much her ally-for what she was. For what her mother had been. The had won. But the moment of victory was fleeting. Their smiles faltered.

"...this doesn't change anything." She says, brusquely-fiddling with her strange machine, not looking him in the eye. "It was providence that brought me here, and no more. I know how you feel about me...Father."

Friar Greenmoore knows what to say. But he holds back. It is not time. For Greenmoore is, but a man-and flawed. For all his goodness and strength...his is imperfect. He tells himself it is for her own good, but it is a lie-a bad one. Tala knows this. With it, a pain she does not want to face either.

"I too am prideful, as you are. I do not live for your approval." she says. "But I hope one day you might accept me for who I am."

There are no words for him. Greenmoore watches her ride off, regretting everything. Regretting nothing. He loves his daughter. Why can't he just say it?

For all his wisdom, he knows not why. Perhaps it is his final test. One he is failing.

He is an old man again-weakened, and heartbroken. He begins to limp back to the village, for his wounds are many, and the seriousness of them is now made apparent. He will live. Greenmoore will live. He has always lived. Even as his friends have gone, he has lingered-waiting not for death, though he knows it will come sooner or later.

But not today. Not today. Today he lives-and moves on, one tired step at a time...but he never slows.

The Sun rises over the shattered graveyard-a field of bones. A rumor of a barely contained disaster. The villagers will not touch this place for many years.

One day, a broken, lonely child will dare this place, taking the rumors as facts. The pieces of the weapon will still lay where they fell.

In his heart, he only knows pain.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:07:47 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
CvRTD: End Of The Line
« Reply #4296 on: October 09, 2012, 09:31:09 pm »

I still need to read the rest of this, but props for going ahead and reviving it instead of doing what I did :P I will watch once more!

This post is hilariously ironic in retrospect - somewhat luckily as well, since FFS is a creative and interesting GM. In any case, I've said before that if I was going to kill this, I'd like to think I would be able to say so. So I'm saying it now, although I'm sure everyone involved already knew this was coming a long time ago. Every time I've sat down to try and fix the problems I created when making this, I would get distracted by any number of things. The reason why is obvious, even though I didn't want to admit it because doing so would lead to this: I simply didn't want to fix it. Having it broken gave me a good excuse not to write it. That being said, the main reasons why it became a pain to write are all of my own failings.

The first is that I really didn't think anything out beforehand. I fell into the standard RTD GM trap of 'I really like this setting, I want to run a game in it, so I'm just going to start one and see where it goes' and so I came up with some halfassed ideas that I found too difficult to try to develop later, especially in terms of story - keeping any sense of logic with some of it would have been nearly impossible. That goes right into my second point; among my bad ideas were how I decided to handle rolling. I didn't like the standard d6 style; I still don't for the most part, but I think a few GMs are able to pull it off very well, and I applaud them for it. My ideas for classes and skills were also crap and caused more confusion and trouble than they were worth. Third is I'm really not a good GM. I'm too nice to the current players; I usually fudged rolls in their favor at times when a failure would have went very badly for them, or when a regular non-boss enemy would have killed them. I handed out too much loot for too little effort. More importantly than that, though, I don't think I was able to present the environment as it should have been presented. I'm just not good at building atmosphere or creating puzzles, let alone interesting ones, so the RTD - which I thought had some potential initially - devolved into merely a series of arenas with barely a scrap of story or detail between them to keep my interest in maintaining it engaged. I'm not sure how the players or lurkers stayed interested, to be honest.

Additionally, as a newbie GM, I tried to do too much with too little knowledge. As previously stated, I tried doing my own systems for rolling and character creation, both of which were poorly thought out and confusing to the players, especially newer ones. I tried to allow more players in game at a time than I could handle. I let it drag on for way too long, mainly because I let combat overshadow everything else and went for a more RPG style of thing with enemies having massive amounts of HP and poorly done strength/weaknesses rather than making combat what it should be: quick, brutal, and a facet of the RTD rather than the whole thing. A lack of friendly NPCs, neutral NPCs, and even hostile NPCs that wouldn't attack on sight made many types of characters/classes/skills completely useless, which again made the focus too narrow. Hell, I was telling people 'just use these skills, they're the only ones worth a damn' which is telling enough as it is.

Honestly I'm surprised - and honored - that the people who initially joined stuck it out as long as they did, even waitlisted for a second go. I'm surprised I had lurkers, as well. But, as far as this RTD and likely as me being a GM go as I'm three for three on failed RTDs and one for one on failed forum games, this is the end of the line. Sorry we couldn't make it to the end. If anyone wants to write any epilogues for their character or anything, feel free. I'll wait a few days to lock the thread. All I ask is that no one argue or agree with any of the points I've made - as far as I'm concerned, they're all facts and not opinions, and I'd rather not waste my time or yours in a pointless discussion.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CvRTD: End Of The Line
« Reply #4297 on: October 09, 2012, 09:40:28 pm »

I'd like to point out not to treat yourself too harshly, most RTD's, even ones that are well thought out fail, if only because Real Life happens and we, as GM's always have trouble adapting to the creativity of our players when they don't fit neatly into our perfect plans.  That's about all I have to say, well that and don't be afraid to try it again, get a good idea, write it out, then do it.  Worst thing that could happen would be it doesn't go the way you expect and you have to close it down, which isn't so bad.  :)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: October 09, 2012, 09:45:00 pm »

I believe my previous story is a fitting epilogue for Greenmoore, considering how it all ends here.

There's not much to say about it. You did as best you could, Serc. That's all anyone can do.

Also, sign me up for your next RTD :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: October 09, 2012, 10:18:36 pm »

I'll mark you down for ten minutes after never since that's about when I'll be starting one. I'll still be doing some stuff for Zealots & Demons, but it's quite likely I'm not going to be helming anything for quite awhile if ever.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:55 pm »

Awwww. I guess it would be high time to read all the way through this, then. I enjoyed watching the new turns while they lasted. Even if you're ending your GMing career for now, feel free to drop by #Bay12RTD if you ever want to chat with us some more.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: October 09, 2012, 10:27:53 pm »

Yeah, Norrec knows what he's on about. It's damn hard GMing a RTD for long periods of time, I tried it once and got overloaded and fed up with it so Im really glad for you to have gone on this long with such a complex system. Well done dude! You have my gratitiude and thanks for letting me play.

As for an epilogue... Well Im not really one for far out fantasy stories, but I'll try to give you the boss part of Daniel, at least in part. I planned for him to originally be someone greenmore 'saved' in the past, just to mess with him when you guys finally found out that Daniel was actually a bad guy all along. He's actually batshit insane, but he's also VERY smart and a lot more than you realise.

He's the apprentice of the Time Travelling doctor that the count has employed, Daniel handles all the things that science has to do with time travel, and he's set himself up a devious way to lure people to his tower to experiment on them. He disguises himself as a normal person, a travelling doctor, and heads out into the woods near the castle to befriend the intruders with his charismatic nature. After they get to the castle with his help, he 'dies' to the gatekeeper in battle and heads into his tower through a secret passage (Remember in the battle with the gatekeeper how a hand closed around him, but there was no body? He dropped through a trapdoor in the courtyard and shut it behind him.). Once you get into his tower, he takes on his real form (and dresses up right) as 'The Mad Doctor'. The door to his room even has a wooded hang up sign saying, in blood of course, that 'The doctor is IN'. I've personally planned out all the traps you guys faced in the tower, aside from the bottom floor that is, from the electric trick door, the poison gas room and the experiment cage room. I'll do you all a favour and tell you about each room.

The poison gas room was actually fairly simple. The way to open the door was just to manipulate the apple carving. I figured I would put in some nasty tricks in there as well in the form of the demon mouths, all of which were to mislead you, hurt you and pin your arm in the hole via poisoned spikes activating when you pulled the lever in each one. Upon activating one of the demon mouth levers, the poison gas would fill the room, just to get you to panic even more.

As for the cage room, the key to the door was indeed in the strange zombie with a machine on it's back, but it wasn't like any monster you've met before. It's health would automatically reduce over time, eventually killing it without you having to do anything. But if you hit it with anything, magic or weapons, it would activate the machine and it would grow stronger and faster until it was huge and really strong. That's when it would let you damage it normally, but it would have a lot of health and physical power by then. The cages were just to distract you, and if you opened one cage, you opened them all and released the experiments to deal with. There was also a acid pit ouside the door you enter that had a tunnel that went into one of the cages, so when someone left the room back the way they came, they could climb into a cage and trick you into opening all the cages.

But the best bit was Daniel himself. Can you say... Puzzle boss? He was gonna not even attack you guys at first, but stand there in his labcoat and TALK to you, looking completely normal in comparison to the other bosses. He'd make a big speach about how he tricked you into befriending him and generally prove how crazy and brilliant he is. Once you decide to attack him, his head would fall right off his body and he'd be dead, except he isn't really. He is actually completely invunerable because he had special surgery, of which left that scar on his face and a large metal plate on his chest, that lets him basically lets him control his own chopped off limbs and head, as well as completely ignoring any injury to his torso. Everytime you attacked him, you would basically create something else that would just attack you as well as Daniel.

To add to the difficulty, he was very fast and attacks multiple times at once and has an entire mechanical and chemical labs to use against you from traps, to suits of armor holding weapons, to big tubs of acid he would pour down infront of the exits infront of the room to trick you into staying with him. He even had injections for himself that would increase his abilities for a short time, like attack speed and physical damage, as well as an aura of decay that would automatically damage you whenever you stayed near him and poison blood he could splash you with. He would also summon EXPLOSIVE minions by injecting corpses with special compounds and sick them on the whole group. The only way to kill him was to find his removed brain and heart, which you would discover were missing when you chopped his head in two or stabbed him through the chest, and destroy them. He hid them in the labs which he fights you in; his heart in an armoured case which you would have to break open and his brain among a large set of racks containing other jars full of brains, which you would have to find the right brain.

He's nasty but easy if you focused on finding and destroying his brain and heart. He was also using his detachable body parts to watch you guys and deliver messages for the traps (those were his own hands and his own eyeball). The theme song of this encounter would be Raining Blood by Vitamin String Quartet. I'm quite proud of his creation and thinking up the nasty traps that you had to handle. Thanks again Serious!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: October 09, 2012, 10:53:18 pm »

I would have liked to have gotten to that; I was looking forward to the Daniel and Wymar boss fights. I'm just disappointed I didn't have the drive to reach them. Sorry for letting you and Darvi down.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: October 09, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »

There's not much to say about it. You did as best you could, Serc. That's all anyone can do.

Also, sign me up for your next RTD :P
Dwar points it out perfectly. Re-reading it all (yay, speedreading!  :D), you've done a superb job of keeping this alive SC {newbie GM? My initial thought when I joined these boards was Oh my God, look at all these RTDs..., putting in the initial trepidation of joining them because they created a feeling of awe [back when Fortress of Blood was in sign-ups, can't forget that gem] } and still, you learn from your mistakes.

Adapt, evolve, create.

I loved this RTD from the moment I saw it (despite not knowing anything about the game), and I still will @ anything you create. Because that's how much I love all this.

Wishing you well, SC!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: October 10, 2012, 02:13:32 am »

150 turns is not a failure by any conventional RTD standards. All games die eventually; this one was far longer and more enjoyable than most.

Anywho, the ballad of Claire Rosara isn't over just yet, methinks. She's actually one of my favorite characters to have played, so I might see about reusing or referencing her later. Thanks for the run, SC. :3
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288