Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to gen world with no aquifiers on coasts?  (Read 875 times)

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to gen world with no aquifiers on coasts?
« on: February 21, 2011, 04:28:33 am »

Hi, I want to make a fortress on the coast, but there doesn't seem to be any coastal locations without aquifers! How can I gen a world with as little aquifers as possible?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: How to gen world with no aquifiers on coasts?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:36:25 am »

If you want a slightly cheaty way, just go into the raw files, then go through all the mineral/soil/stone template files and remove [aquifer]. Just open it in notepad and use Replace all [AQUIFER] with nothing. Gen a new world. Done.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:53:16 am »

gentleman and a scholar!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:03:14 am »

Why thankyou. :P I'm one of those sad people who's entire existance is to help others.  ;D

Just to clarify, you're looking for...

inorganic_stone_layer
inorganic_stone_mineral
inorganic_stone_soil
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:46:33 am »

if you dont want to cheat with raw files
try to make the world highly volcanic, and increase biome changes
so you may end up soil and stone layers without aquifer.

but increase volcanism means less chance of flux stone.

Niseg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:34:17 am »

I'm adding "fun" features gradually and 31.19 forced me to deal with aquifers which is not that bad. I recently used the pump method which can be a headache but not that hard - it's a new experience.

Yesterday I found a video that explains the "plug" method which is a cave in method an I hope i can get  it done right because I don't have enough layers for the "plug". This involves channeling a big shallow pit into the aquifer and then dropping a fitting  "plug" (big hunk of soil) on it.

In 31.19 it seems that all the "good" embarks have an aquifer in them and it's just another thing you have to deal with in the beginning . And after you find a good embark spot you find out that none has anvils and generate the map again   >:( . World gen is very problematic so an Aquifer seems like a minor problem. 
Projects:Path finding simulator(thread) -A*,weighted A*(traffic zones), user set waypoints (path caching), automatic waypoint room navigation,no-cache room navigation.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:53:19 am »

thats one of the "fun" things I don't genuinely find fun.

Animals needing to graze? FUN! whole embark killed by undead camels? FUN! an hour of tedious work getting by an aquifer? not fun.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 08:34:43 am »

aquifer isnt terribly not fun to work with.
i just dig a big piston, big enough to make a fort inside once it's inserted into aquifer layer(s)
oh forgive my diction, i should say, an humongous piston.