Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Chipped Dagger  (Read 3689 times)

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Chipped Dagger
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:23:30 am »

Hey, just wanted to point out a neat looking game that's being actively developed by a small team. It's still pretty bare-bones, but I'm getting some enjoyment out of it. You basically hunt monsters, find loot, and then hunt more monsters. While this doesn't sound awesome, it's addicting in a way.

You do need to pay them in order to get into certain areas of the world, but I've been having a decent time without having to pay so far.

Here are the features as advertised on the site:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the web: http://www.chippeddagger.com/

And here's a rough map of the game: http://forums.chippeddagger.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=327

Wiki too: http://wiki.chippeddagger.com/index.php/Main_Page

BTW, I'm Peripheral in-game  :D

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:43:19 am by Eek-A-Mouse »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Chipped Dagger
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:31:49 am »

No restrictive classes, no skill-by-use grinding.  Actually play the game instead of watching your XP bar or a countdown timer all day!

Hmmm so "Non-feature as feature" interesting. They might as well say "No skill progression", and likely "No classes"

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:44:09 am »

There are no classes, yeah. There are skills, but from what I've gathered you raise them by collecting essences (which you can either get directly from mobs, or by recycling magic loot). The game is pretty much brand new, so I wouldn't go in expecting anything too fancy just yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:27:27 am »

but from what I've gathered you raise them by collecting essences

But... that is even worse

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:29:44 am »

is it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:32:00 am »

is it?

Not so much in terms of gameplay but in terms of "Trying to hide something"

I mean "No skill progression" can be implied... but "Currency Based Progression" is something else.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:02:57 am »

Downloaded, checked it out. I find it funny how they say "Not just watching your XP bar go up all day!" except then you don't actually have to do anything in combat. Seriously, you just emit some kind of monster-damaging aura in the eight squares around you. I like to have at least the illusion of control; why not make me walk into the monster to keep attacking?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 02:33:27 am »

full-world PvP and full-loot PvP are instant turnoffs for me. Good for people who longed for the days of Ultima Online, but I formed an instant dislike of PvP early in my MMO career with being ganked by people at the level cap while I was leveling. Letting them steal all my gear and set me back to square one makes it a certain 'no'.

The rest of the game does sound interesting, though Biag's comment that you have no direct combat control is also a point against it. Being able to choose what you do in combat is part of what keeps interest in the game.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:18:13 am »

Downloaded, checked it out. I find it funny how they say "Not just watching your XP bar go up all day!" except then you don't actually have to do anything in combat. Seriously, you just emit some kind of monster-damaging aura in the eight squares around you. I like to have at least the illusion of control; why not make me walk into the monster to keep attacking?

This was the dealbreaker for me, what the hell is that?
Shoes...

linkcat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 04:59:02 pm »

Hey all, I'm from The Chipped Dagger.

It's a really fun game, and I suggest you at least try it out.

We have a really friendly community, although small, that is willing to help out all new players.

There is no longer PvP in the game, but the only person who actively PvPed anyways is gone.

The free area is quite large, extending around 600 tiles in every direction, and it takes a while to get to premium level,but you can still challenge yourself by running into large hordes of monsters, fighting without any equipment, or hunting for WEMs (very powerful monsters that roam the free map).

There are legit ways to get into premium without buying anything. I've gone into the premium area several times without spending a penny.

I hope you give it a try and enjoy it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:45:59 pm by linkcat »

Tellah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:55:36 pm »

Yay! This game rules.  :D I've been playing for about 2 months.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 08:25:09 pm »

There is no longer PvP in the game, but the only person who actively PvPed anyways is gone.

Well, it's no wonder he left!
I got nothing

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 09:57:49 pm »

Not very impressed.  The game seems to be buckling under the weight of twenty characters playing, and most of them are just sitting around.  They even have the west part of the starter area barricaded because...  why not.  The randomness is very diablo like, in that I am now wielding an Indifferent Club of Regrowth.

Tellah

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 10:21:02 pm »

Server is hung. This has happened before.
a thread on the server crashed because a bug that oracle refuses to fix

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 10:24:43 pm »

Ah, hullo Tellah.  If you'd like, please Personal Message me on here when the server is back up.  I'd like to try playing more before writing off the game.  I'm Alucinor.
Pages: [1] 2