Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves won't cook Dwarven Syrup?  (Read 4015 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't cook Dwarven Syrup?
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:13:06 am »

So, I was under the impression that dwarven syrup needed to be cooked before it could be eaten. But, despite the fact I have about 200 or so units of it barreled up, when I try to cook it says I don't have anything unrotten to cook. Am I missing something?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't cook Dwarven Syrup?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:14:09 am »

So, I was under the impression that dwarven syrup needed to be cooked before it could be eaten. But, despite the fact I have about 200 or so units of it barreled up, when I try to cook it says I don't have anything unrotten to cook. Am I missing something?

You could try to check the kitchen stocks when pressing the 'z' button.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:16:32 am »

It says I have 395 Dwarven Syrup, and it's checked off as cookable.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:00 am »

Hmm.. then I have no idea..

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:39 am »

Last I checked there was a bug where liquids, like syrup, were pretty much ignored when dwarves pick cooking ingredients.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:19:33 am »

Is it the only cookable you have?  If I'm not mistaken, you need at least two different stacks/types of stacks of food to cook successfully.  but it's highly possible that I'm mistaken.

Also make sure that there's a path between the kitchen and the syrup?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 12:21:40 am »

Is it the only cookable you have?  If I'm not mistaken, you need at least two different stacks/types of stacks of food to cook successfully.  but it's highly possible that I'm mistaken.

Also make sure that there's a path between the kitchen and the syrup?

At the time, that was all I had. Just harvested some quarry bush leaves, and I can now cook them, but the syrup remains untouched.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:25:56 am »

Last I checked there was a bug where liquids, like syrup, were pretty much ignored when dwarves pick cooking ingredients.

Yes. They prefer to use up SOLID ingredients first. Disable cooking on all but one solid ingredient at a time, to force use of the liquid ingredients.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:26:39 am »

AHve you tried to make something else than easy meal?

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 12:29:08 am »

AHve you tried to make something else than easy meal?

I've been making fine meals for the most part.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 12:47:36 am »

Dwarves will never use a liquid ingredient if there are solid ingredients available. They will also not be able to cook without at least 1 solid ingredient to start it off. They will also use the same ingredient multiple times in a meal if it is available. To use the syrup, you must forbid all but 1 stack of solid food, then start cooking. If done properly, the meal stack should be "solid ingredient biscuit/stew/roast" depending on weather you are making an easy/fine/lavish meals. The first ingredient will be the single stack of unforbidden solid food, and the remaining ingredients should all be liquids.

This takes a lot of micromanaging. I've tried using burrows with the kitchen and 2 stockpiles (one for liquids, and the other for a single solid) and they seemed to go to the main stockpile to get more solids.

It's much less of a headache to just skip liquid food items until this is fixed.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 01:24:05 am »

That's it, I'm going to try for a food glazing mini-module. Honey and Syrup. Are there any other notable food glazing liquids?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 01:55:13 am »

i thought quarry leafs had to be processed before you could cook them...

Guess you learn something everyday even after 3 or four years
Back to Mafia with me!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 02:12:35 am »

Most anything can be cooked, but almost everything is better when processed first.  Like, you can cook a sweet pod, or you can make it into flour and cook it better.  Just an example, I have tested if sweet pods can be cooked.

Also, use locked doors.  Make a room with a syrup pile and another pile, and when you want to cook, have the cook pull a lever inside the room, which locks the only door, using the Workshop Profile to make him the only user.  Easy way of getting him locked in without burrows.  Then, assign cooking, and come back to order him to pull the lever again to get out.  Hopefully, this should make his only options be that one solid, and the other syrups, since it's all he can path towards.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 02:27:13 am »

Most anything can be cooked, but almost everything is better when processed first.  Like, you can cook a sweet pod, or you can make it into flour and cook it better.  Just an example, I have tested if sweet pods can be cooked.

Also, use locked doors.  Make a room with a syrup pile and another pile, and when you want to cook, have the cook pull a lever inside the room, which locks the only door, using the Workshop Profile to make him the only user.  Easy way of getting him locked in without burrows.  Then, assign cooking, and come back to order him to pull the lever again to get out.  Hopefully, this should make his only options be that one solid, and the other syrups, since it's all he can path towards.

Simpler: use warrens.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2