Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Kave Clone: Trouble with Military  (Read 1772 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Kobold Kave Clone: Trouble with Military
« on: February 21, 2011, 12:06:31 am »

I'm making a mod, mainly for my own entertainment, that makes Kobolds the main playable race. I mainly want to see how the peasants would react to being fed -Kobold Omlettes-, and I think that there could be some fun in a fortress that gets practically wiped out with every single siege.

Here's the DFFD site.

The main issue I'm having is that while there's only three "nobles" one that does all the civilian stuff, the Denkeeper, and one that takes care of all the military stuff, the Warleader (or chief or something), and finally the Squad Leaders, which I couldn't think of any better name for.

Right now, the two war nobles don't show up on the Nobles screen, making it hard to appoint them. Anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:08:25 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Kave Clone: Trouble with Military
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:40:49 am »

You will need a noble that can appoint other nobles, in vanilla that are the expedition leader and the mayor. You'll probably find what you need in their raws

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 05:48:35 am »

Well you could make a 'Cheif' who is elected(Meaning they are chosen from popuality). Then your cheif gets to choose the other positions (This means you can select them from the nobles screen), such as 'sticks counter' (Your accountant, manager and broker if you want trade. I think an imp entity or something of that nature as an allie would be fun!), 'fight bringer', your military commander, and 'blood shedder', your standard squad leader position. 'wound fixer' for cheif medical kobald is also fun.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:57:19 pm »

Currently the Denmaster has all the basic noble responsibilities:

[RESPONSIBILITY:RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MEET_WORKERS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MANAGE_PRODUCTION]
[RESPONSIBILITY:HEALTH_MANAGEMENT]
[RESPONSIBILITY:ACCOUNTING]

Kobolds have no concept of private ownership; if a trade caravan comes by, they'll see it as no different than if a bunch of shinys just dropped from the sky. As such, trade negotiations make no sense to them. That said, it may be possible to say that this particular Kobold has grasped the incredibly complex concept of "If you take this particular shiny without giving back a different shiny, then you all get hit with rocks." Maybe a high-level immigrating noble to do that.

The Denmaster is elected. So far this appears to be working, with a Kobold being elected Denmaster from the start.

The Warleader is appointed by the Denmaster, and has both types of Military responsibilities and law enforcement. He appoints Squad leaders, which are effectively the same as Captains.

However, neither the Warleader nor the Captains are visible on the Nobles Screen.

Code: (The relevant section of the RAWs:) [Select]
[POSITION:DENKEEPER]
[NAME:denkeeper:denkeepers]
[SITE]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MEET_WORKERS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MANAGE_PRODUCTION]
[RESPONSIBILITY:HEALTH_MANAGEMENT]
[RESPONSIBILITY:ACCOUNTING]
[RULES_FROM_LOCATION]
[ELECTED]
[PRECEDENCE:60]
[FLASHES]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[KILL_QUEST]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:WARLEADER]
[NAME:warleader:warleaders]
[NUMBER:1]
[SQUAD:10:warrior:warriors]
[APPOINTED_BY:DENKEEPER]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_GOALS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_STRATEGY]
[RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_ENFORCEMENT]
[COMMANDER:SQUAD_LEADER:ALL]
[PRECEDENCE:100]
[FLASHES]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[KILL_QUEST]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:SQUAD_LEADER]
[NAME:squad leader:squad leaders]
[NUMBER:AS_NEEDED]
[SQUAD:10:warrior:warriors]
[APPOINTED_BY:WARLEADER]
[PRECEDENCE:190]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[MILITARY_SCREEN_ONLY]

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:00:56 pm »

And those arn't working for you?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 05:19:03 pm »

I've done some experimenting, and the Warleader is now working, but the Squad Leaders still can't be created.

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 03:37:39 am »

Ok really first off i would like to ask what is wrong with you? Havent you seen kobold camp around the forum? its been around for a while and i think it is pretty damn good...so really play that and dont make a damn clone of it. Make something of a different race like...fish? idk and dont really care but really dont make a stupid ripoff of a good mod to try and steal its fame and make it look like yours is better(this is most proabably not what you are doing but this applys for everyone). He(Lago) has gone through alot of work making the mod and he wouldnt want someone to make a clone of it and steal his work  which is pretty much what you are doing. Next time have a look for a similar mod before you make a "clone" of it and ask yourself if it really is right to make a "clone" of it.
Here is the thread:http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70558.0
Please do not be an ass and continue with this, just go to something different and dont you dare say there is anything better...there is so many creatures in DF in fact alot of them would be better then kobolds(even easier in some cases) to make as a good, working playable race.
Also i have no idea if this thread is still alive (though its only been a week) but i really hate ppl who "clone" "rippoff" "copy" and whatever else it can be called as i have had ppl copy alot of my stuff, not on bay12, and i was really pissed off since they were stealing my fame with something that wasnt even as good as mine was and all it had was a better name.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 03:40:23 am by Phreak »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 04:05:16 am »

words.

AHAHAHAH.
AHAHAHAHAH!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:24:07 am »

Phreak, to quote yourself: 'i would like to ask what is wrong with you?' and 'Please do not be an ass'.
Kobold Camp appeared 2008 with this 4chan-thread. The earliest version of kc on dffd was posted there by PTTG (please feel stupid now) followed by other versions by Bishop36, DracoGriffin, Pathos, etc. As you can see different people working on the same idea can improve a concept and create something 'pretty damn good'.
I'm sorry about your 'stolen fame', but please go where it was stolen and be a jerk over there instead of trying to stop people who might create something that might be worthwhile over here.
tia, kthx bye
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:35:41 am by hermano »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 12:04:08 pm »

Thanks, Catastrophic lolcats. That's exactly what I was thinking.

I guess I should put an update up- I messed around with this for a while and I did get the Denkeeper and the Warleader there to work properly, but I haven't gotten the squad leaders.

I'm not actively working on this. Like I said, it was mainly for my own entertainment, and the ultimate problem was that Kobolds don't eat or something and would starve to death with full stockpiles. Not to mention get pecked to death by invading turkeys trying to use the nest boxes.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 05:23:10 pm »

Hehe, I liked how Phreak called the original creator of Kobold Camp "an idea stealer". Well, he lives up to his forum name :). Now everyone, let's make fun of him :P.

On topic:
Do squad leaders appear when you create a new squad? I mean, maybe you cannot appoint them from N screen but you can by making new squads?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 05:33:47 pm »

Say, come to think of it, you may be on the right track. The military screen is still a bit impenetrable to me. I'll check that and/or mess with the tags at some point. But it's moot if they won't eat...

Let me clarify this a bit- I uploaded Kobold Camp from the thread, but I didn't do much of the work (If anyone should get credit for Kobold Camp, it's Gobbo). I just wanted to make a variant of the mod which has more of a cave-inhabitant feel and that takes advantage of the new features.

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 12:53:11 am »

4chan...oh yeah i remember that one lol. well...(trys to think of a reason other then being crabby and very bored at the time but fails so shuts up)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 01:39:46 am »

No hard feelings.